The Student Room Group

PayPal fraud help

I was selling an item and a buyer asked for my paypal to send the money which I did but then I quickly realised it was dodgy the email from “PayPal” looked so fake and furthermore they wanted me to send money via bank transfer in order for the full amount released.

I called up PayPal and they said the transaction ID doesn’t exist on their system I haven’t responded to anymore of their emails but the scammers keep bombarding me with emails and now they are sending emails that they are taking legal action because I’m in breach of PayPal’s T&C

I’m really worried on what to do because they have my PayPal email and my address. I’ve removed all my cards from PayPal but I’m worried they may try and do something please help on what I should
Lesson of the day: don't trust anyone haha...but seriously, did they actually take any money from the account? Or did you receive the money from the order? Usually you'd have some kind of order/transaction number if it was confirmed. And are you running this through an online business like Etsy or something becuase maybe you can contact them too?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I was selling an item and a buyer asked for my paypal to send the money which I did but then I quickly realised it was dodgy the email from “PayPal” looked so fake and furthermore they wanted me to send money via bank transfer in order for the full amount released.

I called up PayPal and they said the transaction ID doesn’t exist on their system I haven’t responded to anymore of their emails but the scammers keep bombarding me with emails and now they are sending emails that they are taking legal action because I’m in breach of PayPal’s T&C

I’m really worried on what to do because they have my PayPal email and my address. I’ve removed all my cards from PayPal but I’m worried they may try and do something please help on what I should

Just ignore the scare tactics. It's not real.
Maybe call PayPal about this and see if there's anything they can do. Maybe you'll be able to change your email and details. I'm not too familiar with PayPal so I'm not sure.

But you've done the right thing by removing all your cards and etc, just to be on the safe side.

I wouldn't worry about the legal threats and etc. They're scammers lmao. I highly doubt they have the resources to take legal action. And even if they did they wouldn't get anywhere.
Reply 4
Original post by willbrownfire123
Lesson of the day: don't trust anyone haha...but seriously, did they actually take any money from the account? Or did you receive the money from the order? Usually you'd have some kind of order/transaction number if it was confirmed. And are you running this through an online business like Etsy or something becuase maybe you can contact them too?

They didn’t take any money, they kept saying the money was sent but when I checked my PayPal it wasn’t and then I received a fake email pretending to be PayPal.

I was selling an item on Shpock, buyers are supposed to pay through the app and I gave them my PayPal email so Shpock has no involvement in this as it weren’t done in the app.
Original post by Anonymous
They didn’t take any money, they kept saying the money was sent but when I checked my PayPal it wasn’t and then I received a fake email pretending to be PayPal.

I was selling an item on Shpock, buyers are supposed to pay through the app and I gave them my PayPal email so Shpock has no involvement in this as it weren’t done in the app.

Oh ok, well I guess if you want you can contact Paypal...but probably next time it is better just to make buyers pay through the app so you have their support if something goes wrong. Those big companies have all kinds of processes to help out the sellers using the app so you'd have a bit more insurance if that makes sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending