feeling overwhelmed/stressed

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
this might be long so here’s a summary : i have too much revision to do from september, i feel like i’m falling behind and will never catch up

Long story:
I’m in year 12, and i’ve always struggled with procrastination. It’s led me to waste so much time that I feel ashamed off and fall behind. I’m seen as a “smart student” on paper, with my predicted grades being A* and A’s. Honestly, if i did my Gcses i would’ve gotten 5’s and below, since i would’ve revised last minute.
I’ve been trying to change that but i’m struggling. I picked up some good habits i want to maintain, such as exercising and eating more mindfully. But i feel as though I can’t juggle both of them plus studying. Like I reach my limit.
I’m usually able to take a step back and breathe, not getting too caught up in my emotions. But these days I just feel so overwhelmed, like everything is up in my face and its like i can’t breathe.
Before, I would turn to bad habits to try and release the stress, but i’m realllllly trying not to as it does more harm than good.
I’m afraid of putting off work until it’s TOO late. Like if i don’t catch up now that’s it. Usually i know that’s not true but at this point it feels like it’ll become reality. Eventhough these thoughts aren’t always so loud in my head, they’re always at the back of my head. I constantly feel like i’m on the edge and tense, even my subconscious knows i’m in deep poop

I’m trying to be rational with myself and be objective but the stress is quite large. This half term i was planning to catch up on revision, but i ended up trying to submit work 3 days after it’s deadline. Usually, i would take the weekend off as a break then do my hmw. But since i spent the weekend working, i’ve just felt so tired and as soon as i exercise, i literallt call it a day. I’ve tried putting exercise last until everything is done, but everything doesn’t get done.
I don’t know why i find it so hard to get into a routine. I need a routine in my life again. Before I didn’t have a good routine but it was still a routine, i knew what to expect at each time of the day. I’m not a very spontaneous person, i like to plan everything out otherwise I legit cannot sleep. But when it all doesn’t get done that’s even worse

I’ve decided to spend this week on finishing my hmw as i’m struggling with even completing it. I will then prepare my revision resources and try roughly figure out the best times for me and revision is. I’m planning to watch youtube videos (take me long to do notes on) and use the spec and my textbooks/exercise books. Yes, i am that person that has to have neat notes otherwise i cant remember anything

I don’t know what my question is here, so feel free to comment whatever is relevant or whether you have similar experiences or any advice.

Thank you if you’ve gotten this far, and good night.
CJField
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
this might be long so here’s a summary : i have too much revision to do from september, i feel like i’m falling behind and will never catch up

Long story:
I’m in year 12, and i’ve always struggled with procrastination. It’s led me to waste so much time that I feel ashamed off and fall behind. I’m seen as a “smart student” on paper, with my predicted grades being A* and A’s. Honestly, if i did my Gcses i would’ve gotten 5’s and below, since i would’ve revised last minute.
I’ve been trying to change that but i’m struggling. I picked up some good habits i want to maintain, such as exercising and eating more mindfully. But i feel as though I can’t juggle both of them plus studying. Like I reach my limit.
I’m usually able to take a step back and breathe, not getting too caught up in my emotions. But these days I just feel so overwhelmed, like everything is up in my face and its like i can’t breathe.
Before, I would turn to bad habits to try and release the stress, but i’m realllllly trying not to as it does more harm than good.
I’m afraid of putting off work until it’s TOO late. Like if i don’t catch up now that’s it. Usually i know that’s not true but at this point it feels like it’ll become reality. Eventhough these thoughts aren’t always so loud in my head, they’re always at the back of my head. I constantly feel like i’m on the edge and tense, even my subconscious knows i’m in deep poop

I’m trying to be rational with myself and be objective but the stress is quite large. This half term i was planning to catch up on revision, but i ended up trying to submit work 3 days after it’s deadline. Usually, i would take the weekend off as a break then do my hmw. But since i spent the weekend working, i’ve just felt so tired and as soon as i exercise, i literallt call it a day. I’ve tried putting exercise last until everything is done, but everything doesn’t get done.
I don’t know why i find it so hard to get into a routine. I need a routine in my life again. Before I didn’t have a good routine but it was still a routine, i knew what to expect at each time of the day. I’m not a very spontaneous person, i like to plan everything out otherwise I legit cannot sleep. But when it all doesn’t get done that’s even worse

I’ve decided to spend this week on finishing my hmw as i’m struggling with even completing it. I will then prepare my revision resources and try roughly figure out the best times for me and revision is. I’m planning to watch youtube videos (take me long to do notes on) and use the spec and my textbooks/exercise books. Yes, i am that person that has to have neat notes otherwise i cant remember anything

I don’t know what my question is here, so feel free to comment whatever is relevant or whether you have similar experiences or any advice.

Thank you if you’ve gotten this far, and good night.
Hey im in year 13 studying bio chemistry and maths, what are you studying?
Its totally understandable that your struggling a bit with all this type of stuff - trying to develop your routine and motivating yourself to stick to it is much harder than what we normally do. In school, we have lessons, free periods and times for exercise which can be easily planned out and a routine can be moulded for us, however at home, we have to figure out what we want to do responsibly and then motivate ourselves to do it. In year 12, I was doing exercise 4-5 times a week, revision in a fair few of my frees and most days after school, and attending all lessons. Now I do exercise about 2 times a week and don't do enough revision. I am also a A* type student however I haven't quite fallen behind yet.
I think firstly you need to accept that you want always have a perfect day that went to plan - I rarely have these now. Getting stressed about struggling to exercise and eat healthy defeats their purpose - they are supposed to make you feel better. If you can be a little stoic and accept that some day work takes priority, then you will feel less down about it. The same goes with the rest of your day. While planning out what you want to do is great, you shouldn't get stressed if you don't complete everything. In the grand scheme of things, finishing off some work the next day won't make a difference.

Now this is something which is dependent on your subject, but making notes from textbooks is a bad way to revise. Don't make notes. A lot of research has been done to show that making notes is a very passive, ineffective process and will waste your time. The most effective way of revising is using techniques where your brain is actively working to retrieve information i.e. practice questions or flashcards. I honestly tell everyone who will listen in exam season that the only way to get As and A*s is by doing every practice paper question you can find. Ill link a video. The point of me telling you this is that by utilising more efficient study techniques, you won't waste time on things like making notes which take absolutely ages and don't work very well, hence freeing up energy for other work or exercise or chilling.

I feel like I want to make another point but im feeling a bit lazy and cba reading everything again so yeh, if you have any questions please ask
CJField
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLnPbIffxE
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by CJField)
Hey im in year 13 studying bio chemistry and maths, what are you studying?
Its totally understandable that your struggling a bit with all this type of stuff - trying to develop your routine and motivating yourself to stick to it is much harder than what we normally do. In school, we have lessons, free periods and times for exercise which can be easily planned out and a routine can be moulded for us, however at home, we have to figure out what we want to do responsibly and then motivate ourselves to do it. In year 12, I was doing exercise 4-5 times a week, revision in a fair few of my frees and most days after school, and attending all lessons. Now I do exercise about 2 times a week and don't do enough revision. I am also a A* type student however I haven't quite fallen behind yet.
I think firstly you need to accept that you want always have a perfect day that went to plan - I rarely have these now. Getting stressed about struggling to exercise and eat healthy defeats their purpose - they are supposed to make you feel better. If you can be a little stoic and accept that some day work takes priority, then you will feel less down about it. The same goes with the rest of your day. While planning out what you want to do is great, you shouldn't get stressed if you don't complete everything. In the grand scheme of things, finishing off some work the next day won't make a difference.

Now this is something which is dependent on your subject, but making notes from textbooks is a bad way to revise. Don't make notes. A lot of research has been done to show that making notes is a very passive, ineffective process and will waste your time. The most effective way of revising is using techniques where your brain is actively working to retrieve information i.e. practice questions or flashcards. I honestly tell everyone who will listen in exam season that the only way to get As and A*s is by doing every practice paper question you can find. Ill link a video. The point of me telling you this is that by utilising more efficient study techniques, you won't waste time on things like making notes which take absolutely ages and don't work very well, hence freeing up energy for other work or exercise or chilling.

I feel like I want to make another point but im feeling a bit lazy and cba reading everything again so yeh, if you have any questions please ask
oh nice, i’m studying bio chem and psychology.
Your routine in school sounded good, i wish i took advantage of my frees instead of talking lol. But i didn’t really get many so
Yeah i agree, I think i also just need to stop stressing and just start doing it, on the DAY especially.

The only reason i wanted to exercise was to lose weight but now it’s because I want to be healthier, fitter, look better and just make a lifestyle change. I figured that if i’m able to complete a 15 mins workout every morning (with not a lot of breaks) and have a cold shower, it’ll get me ready for the day let’s hope. I won’t beat myself up if i don’t exercise though. I think it’ll be good if i learn how to incorporate exercise into my daily life as I’ve come to realise in the future, I’ll have to manage a lot of things in one day

Oh thanks for linking the video, I’ve watched it a few time (i love ali abdaal lol). The only reason i wanted to do notes was to just learn the content as in school, i haven’t really wrote proper notes down that i understood and my teachers are a bit eh. That way, when I’ve got the basics i can like make flashcards that use active recall methods on quizlet (so it doesn’t take me ages and i can legit do them anywhere) and do exam questions. I’m not going to spend my whole day making pretty notes but I just need something to go back to read on if I don’t understand anything. I don’t have a fully photogenic memory but after watching a video and writing notes down and then answering questions, i can literally remember the paper and video for that exact info (if that makes sense) but yeah i totally get you. I’ve still got time to find a method suitable for me and what works best. I don’t really use the textbook as I prefer watching videos so it’s like i’m being taught the info. Oh and also I think what’s been putting me off is that I want to get all this revision done in a short time frame but I’ve realised I rather just get started regardless if it takes me a long time, at least I start

No no thank you! All those points have been helpful!! Thank you for responding! Most of this was me rambling about what I plan to do (i just needed to blurt it all out and speak it into existence lol) but I wish you all the best in your future and I hope you never fall behind
CJField
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
oh nice, i’m studying bio chem and psychology.
Your routine in school sounded good, i wish i took advantage of my frees instead of talking lol. But i didn’t really get many so
Yeah i agree, I think i also just need to stop stressing and just start doing it, on the DAY especially.

The only reason i wanted to exercise was to lose weight but now it’s because I want to be healthier, fitter, look better and just make a lifestyle change. I figured that if i’m able to complete a 15 mins workout every morning (with not a lot of breaks) and have a cold shower, it’ll get me ready for the day let’s hope. I won’t beat myself up if i don’t exercise though. I think it’ll be good if i learn how to incorporate exercise into my daily life as I’ve come to realise in the future, I’ll have to manage a lot of things in one day

Oh thanks for linking the video, I’ve watched it a few time (i love ali abdaal lol). The only reason i wanted to do notes was to just learn the content as in school, i haven’t really wrote proper notes down that i understood and my teachers are a bit eh. That way, when I’ve got the basics i can like make flashcards that use active recall methods on quizlet (so it doesn’t take me ages and i can legit do them anywhere) and do exam questions. I’m not going to spend my whole day making pretty notes but I just need something to go back to read on if I don’t understand anything. I don’t have a fully photogenic memory but after watching a video and writing notes down and then answering questions, i can literally remember the paper and video for that exact info (if that makes sense) but yeah i totally get you. I’ve still got time to find a method suitable for me and what works best. I don’t really use the textbook as I prefer watching videos so it’s like i’m being taught the info. Oh and also I think what’s been putting me off is that I want to get all this revision done in a short time frame but I’ve realised I rather just get started regardless if it takes me a long time, at least I start

No no thank you! All those points have been helpful!! Thank you for responding! Most of this was me rambling about what I plan to do (i just needed to blurt it all out and speak it into existence lol) but I wish you all the best in your future and I hope you never fall behind
yeh I mean you need to just build a habit out of it then you can do with without thinking and don't need to 'motivate' yourself to exercise. Like you said, if you can just get up and - out of habit - do a 15 min work out before your cold shower then it will be easier.
Good luck to you too!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (594)
49.38%
No (609)
50.62%

Watched Threads