Turn on thread page Beta

What is a short circuit? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I've search through the internet and i can't find anything on 'what is a short circuit' i've heard it before but can someone please describe and explain to me what this is?

Thanks for your time

From John Wood
    :hello:

ReputationRep:
    Well a short circuit is a basically circuit where you connect the two conductors which supply the current with a conductor of relatively low resistance.

It tends to destroy the supply if there isn't a fuse in there somewhere as it causes an excess flow of current in the electrical source.

Think thats a fair defintion.

MdSalih

ReputationRep:
    connecting a power supply accross 0 resistance

or, if "short circuiting a component", by putting 0 resistance in parallel with the component

ReputationRep:
    So if theres too much electric current in a circuit where there isnt a resistor it causes a short circuit?
    And what exactly does a resistor do,
    sorry this topic is just a bit confusing

Thanks for your time

From John Wood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    connecting a power supply accross 0 resistance

or, if "short circuiting a component", by putting 0 resistance in parallel with the component
    For there to be zero resistance would a superconductor need to be used at very low temps. What do u mean - put zero resistance in parallel with the component. Does this allow all the current to be obtained?

ReputationRep:
    that's the theoretical definition

the problem arises because there is no potential difference accross the resistance (V = IR = 0), but by putting a power supply accross it, you need there to be a potential difference, so physics breaks down. (theoreticallly)

experimentally, you will always have some internal resistance, and so your power supply will most brobably burn out.

short circuiting a component effectively removes it from the circuit, again because "voltages accross parallel components are equal" and "there is no potential difference accross the 0 resistance", meaning there is no PD accross the component.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    that's the theoretical definition

the problem arises because there is no potential difference accross the resistance (V = IR = 0), but by putting a power supply accross it, you need there to be a potential difference, so physics breaks down. (theoreticallly)

experimentally, you will always have some internal resistance, and so your power supply will most brobably burn out.

short circuiting a component effectively removes it from the circuit, again because "voltages accross parallel components are equal" and "there is no potential difference accross the 0 resistance", meaning there is no PD accross the component.
    ok - well explained - thanks so much :hello:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    if you do this would the component just not recieve any current?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Any self respecting electron is going to take the path with lowest resistance. Therefore there's no current through the component in parallel with the low resistance and it stops working. That's why volt meters have such a high resistance (as they're connected in parallel with a component so R needs to be high).

ReputationRep:
    emm excuse me i still want my answers!!! youve just replied to another guy with a more complicated question!!!

From John Wood

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.