Access to HE and applying to university

Watch
mmmmmmh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I've got on to an access course for midwifery that I will be starting in September. I want to apply to university this year so that I can start a degree course in 2022. What I'm worried about is writing a personal statement when I haven't even started the access course and the logistics of getting my ucas application done by November 2021 when I would have barely started the access course.

Any advice would he great thanks.
SS47
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm sure you could have a personal statement ready by Nov 2021 whilst having started the course in September. I don't know who you have signed up with but you could complete 3/4 units before you submit your UCAS application. You could even prepare a personal statement before your course starts & later, add in a few lines regarding your access course. Does that make sense?

I started an access course in November 2020 & submitted my application in January 2021. Completed 5 units beforehand as well. So it is doable.
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by mmmmmmh)
I've got on to an access course for midwifery that I will be starting in September. I want to apply to university this year so that I can start a degree course in 2022. What I'm worried about is writing a personal statement when I haven't even started the access course and the logistics of getting my ucas application done by November 2021 when I would have barely started the access course.

Any advice would he great thanks.
mmmmmmh
Hello!
I teach on an Access to HE nursing program - here is a video by UCAS for general advice which I show my students (about 20% of them choose to do Midwifery) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwXS51Od084

Have a look at the professional standards on the Nursing and Midwifery Council Website and highlight how you meet certain essential skills - if you have trouble finding it, have a google of Jane Cumming's and the 6 c's of nursing, you can base your application around that

Admissions tutors at Universities love Access students so you have a big advantage over those doing A levels due to extra life experience

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (0)
0%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (1)
25%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (1)
25%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (1)
25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (1)
25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (0)
0%

Watched Threads