pb22x5
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
ok so I am choosing my GCSE options this week and I'm not entirely sure on what to do.

so i have my core subjects which r English lit and lan , math's , triple science , re, and a language which is Spanish.

I have to choose 3 more options and a reserve my other three i think i might do food tech as its not too difficult , history (defiantly)

I was thinking to either do fine art or photography but im not sure what r the pros and cons ?

thanks x
Last edited by pb22x5; 6 months ago
pb22x5
Rep:
?
and my reserve is geography
pb22x5
Rep:
?
??
#StressedStudent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
wait, you've already chosen 8 subjects
and u need to choose 3 more...isnt that too many
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
normal art is a heavy workload - I don't know if the same is true for fine art so you might want to check that
pb22x5
Rep:
?
(Original post by ReadingMum)
normal art is a heavy workload - I don't know if the same is true for fine art so you might want to check that
i think it is the same but I'll double check
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by #StressedStudent)
my daughter had the same core and then 3 choices to make 11. It is not that uncommon
#StressedStudent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
my daughter had the same core and then 3 choices to make 11. It is not that uncommon
ah ok i was just checking since my school only allowed 10 max.
pb22x5
Rep:
?
Its my schools requirement I think they choose 2 out of my three other options depending on what I'm doing
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Food tech is a lot of the biology and theory side of cooking I’ve heard (about sugars etc.) so make sure that you’re happy with learning that stuff as well as the actual cooking aspect
huda.farooqui
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by #StressedStudent)
It is too many 😂 I did 8 gcses ( triple science being worth 3 gcses and english worth 2 gcses ) but it varies among schools
pb22x5
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
Food tech is a lot of the biology and theory side of cooking I’ve heard (about sugars etc.) so make sure that you’re happy with learning that stuff as well as the actual cooking aspect
thank you !
Thafeery
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hii
Basically art is you do bio pages you do work but it is difficult for mee i really did not like it I tried to change it but i was not able too , it was hard ( for mee ) ,
I choosed photography at first but than i changed it it was about learning about photographers and write about them alot you beed to be good at that because youre going to write aboyt photo aloott and also you take pictures for example of a special thing in the kitchen youre gonna have to take picturwes of places at youre house .
I hope that helps
Goodd luuckk 🤍✨
pb22x5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thafeery)
Hii
Basically art is you do bio pages you do work but it is difficult for mee i really did not like it I tried to change it but i was not able too , it was hard ( for mee ) ,
I choosed photography at first but than i changed it it was about learning about photographers and write about them alot you beed to be good at that because youre going to write aboyt photo aloott and also you take pictures for example of a special thing in the kitchen youre gonna have to take picturwes of places at youre house .
I hope that helps
Goodd luuckk 🤍✨
thank you so much !!
hloop
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Photography is way less stressful than Art, it didn’t feel like a subject tbh it was quite chill and enjoyable
pb22x5
Rep:
?
(Original post by hloop)
Photography is way less stressful than Art, it didn’t feel like a subject tbh it was quite chill and enjoyable
ok thank so much
linedpaper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Food tech is much more than practicals so be warned. There is a lot of theory so you'd have to be happy with that.
I'd pick photography over art, it's more chill. Art has a massive workload, and can feel like a chore but if you love it, do it.
pb22x5
Rep:
?
(Original post by linedpaper)
Food tech is much more than practicals so be warned. There is a lot of theory so you'd have to be happy with that.
I'd pick photography over art, it's more chill. Art has a massive workload, and can feel like a chore but if you love it, do it.
what is the theory like ?
any yes I've decided to do photography thx
linedpaper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by pb22x5)
what is the theory like ?
any yes I've decided to do photography thx
As far as I know, theory is learning about nutrition, food groups, food science, food safety (bit of Biology) why things work etc. I didn't do it, but my friends did- it seems pretty interesting though.
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/food...ubject-content
Here's the AQA specification, most boards will be the same. You can look at the content.
pb22x5
Rep:
?
(Original post by linedpaper)
As far as I know, theory is learning about nutrition, food groups, food science, food safety (bit of Biology) why things work etc. I didn't do it, but my friends did- it seems pretty interesting though.
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/food...ubject-content
Here's the AQA specification, most boards will be the same. You can look at the content.
Thank you so much this is really helpful !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads