users73o
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Helpp i like chemistry(AQA) but apparently it has a lot of math which i hate so my next option is bio but I am not really into bio
which one to chose ?
plshelpmelol
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm only in year 12 so I can't speak for year 13 but chem isnt't really "a lot" of maths. Obviously there is a bit (you can't avoid that even in bio) but lots of it you just have to use equations that they give you or that you remember yourself (memorising is NOT hard at all!). As long as you can do basic maths (multiplication, division, addition, subtraction etc.) and understand ratios (not even complicated ratios) you'll be fine! I'd say the most 'mathy' thing I did in chem was very simple simultaneous equations but that was completely unnecessary and other people in my class didn't do that bc there were easier methods oops.

I do bio too but I like chem a lot more since there's A LOT of things and processes you need to remember and I'm only on the 3rd unit and if you're not into bio I personally don't think you should do it (but it's obviously entirely your choice). Just understand that the maths used in chem is basic and manageable.

I hope this helps, good luck!!!
justanotherguy28
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There is a basic level of understanding you need to have in A level chemistry, but I wouldn’t say it is particularly difficult. An understanding of algebra and rearranging equations is what you will come across most often at this level. There are also topics such as organic chemistry where there is little emphasis on maths and more emphasis on applied logic such as molecular structure, bonding, reaction mechanisms etc...

At a university level, there is more maths involved and you will usually take a core 1st year module in ‘maths for science’ or something similar - which is just some selected modules of a-level maths that are most relevant to science subjects.

It is also worth considering what you want to do after your a levels when deciding between biology and chemistry. Do you have an idea what you want to do after? Do you wish to pursue a career in science? And which subject do you enjoy the most?
users73o
Rep:
?
Ty for the answer I have no idea what i want to do but for alevels i am picking psychology for sure n chemistry still have to decide on the third option do u have any suggestions i hate maths physics English
plshelpmelol
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by pratttima)
Ty for the answer I have no idea what i want to do but for alevels i am picking psychology for sure n chemistry still have to decide on the third option do u have any suggestions i hate maths physics English
bro wtf go to sleep lmao. your third option doesn't necessarily have to be maths/physics/english. what other subjects did you do for gcse?
hillarious_cow
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Helpp i like chemistry(AQA) but apparently it has a lot of math which i hate so my next option is bio but I am not really into bio
which one to chose ?
Hi,

I am a first year medical student that did both Biology and Chemistry and now I tutor it. I would say chemistry is heavily maths related as you move into A2, the maths itself isn't particularly difficult but it would be to a standard slightly higher than expected at GCSE (for example a knowledge of logarithms and potential manipulations with the henderson-hasselbach equation in calculating pH) and so you would have to take that into consideration if you are not planning to take maths at A-Level. Biology is very content heavy with a lot of memorisation and the ability to visualise and adapt information, it isn't an easy option by any means and requires a lot of work but I think you will end up finding it to be very fascinating with a beauty of the processes and systems that happen in all life every second. I would say it is a tough choice but I would heavily base my decision on what I want to do in the future.

P.S. Psychology and Biology are moderately complementary and fit together in many courses to take into university.
charbarclayx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I only got a 5 at GCSE maths and i took chemistry and am currently in Year 13. From my point of view, Chemistry is very maths based especially going into A2 , so if you’re not good with numbers then i’d give that a thought as i wish i knew how much maths there was before i applied. Around 95% of my chemistry lessons are maths based. Of my 3 subjects i definitely find chemistry the hardest and i really struggle to wrap my head around it. It differs from person to person but just consider it.
users73o
Rep:
?
(Original post by plshelpmelol)
bro wtf go to sleep lmao. your third option doesn't necessarily have to be maths/physics/english. what other subjects did you do for gcse?
lmao I do media studies dt geo rs science maths english
plshelpmelol
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
lmao I do media studies dt geo rs science maths english
did you like any of them/were good at them?
User_2804122826
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
which one to chose ?
Hi i am a year 12 doing Chemistry and personally I would say there isn't a lot of maths, but I think that in year 13 that there is a bit about logs, but it's at basic level.
Year 12 chem is just an extension of GCSE.
Some of my friends do bio and they said that at the start of the year its more difficult than chemistry.
So overall dont be put off by the maths, if you want to do chemistry then do it as it opens many doors!
plshelpmelol
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by User_2804122826)
Hi i am a year 12 doing Chemistry and personally I would say there isn't a lot of maths, but I think that in year 13 that there is a bit about logs, but it's at basic level.
Year 12 chem is just an extension of GCSE.
Some of my friends do bio and they said that at the start of the year its more difficult than chemistry.
So overall dont be put off by the maths, if you want to do chemistry then do it as it opens many doors!
exactly. many of my teachers say that one of the top subjects that can open the most doors for you is chemistry!
User_2804122826
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yes as many degrees have it as a requirement
But all sciences are facilitating subjects at the end of the day!
MusicalMe101
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi, I am in year 12 and take both biology and chemistry.
Personally, I find chemistry harder than biology though many of my friends would say that biology is harder. It definitely varies from person to person and I think the most challenging aspect is the jump between GCSEs and A levels as the content becomes harder and more detailed very quickly. As for maths in chemistry, I wouldn't say that it's as bad as it may seem and as someone who never really enjoyed maths (hence I don't take maths as an A level) I would say that it is definitely manageable. Of course it takes time to learn any formulas or understand how to use them but overall I enjoy chemistry. Biology is very knowledge based and also involves maths, perhaps not as much as in chemistry, but even then it's a great subject and I would have to admit that I enjoy it more.

I hope this helps
UsernameF40
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by users73o)
which one to chose ?
As I study both alongside Maths and Physics. I would say both, you would find they complement each other as you dwell deeper into the specifications. Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (633)
48.69%
No (667)
51.31%

Watched Threads