The Student Room Group

The asian Tsunami

The response to the tsunami has been huge both in the media and the public response in terms of money raised. However I heard recently a static which shocked me (I think it was on channel 4 news). Every 18 day the number of people who died in the tsunami die in Africa.

Why is it that the Aids epidemic doesn't get as much support from the public as natural disarsters. The same can be said about other illnesses such as Malaria. Millions of people suffer from these conditions and so much can be done.

So what do people think, why is it that the people in the western world will donate so much money to the tsunami cause but not as much for causes like aids and malaria where the money is so desparately needed?
Reply 1
randdom
The response to the tsunami has been huge both in the media and the public response in terms of money raised. However I heard recently a static which shocked me (I think it was on channel 4 news). Every 18 day the number of people who died in the tsunami die in Africa.

Why is it that the Aids epidemic doesn't get as much support from the public as natural disarsters. The same can be said about other illnesses such as Malaria. Millions of people suffer from these conditions and so much can be done.

So what do people think, why is it that the people in the western world will donate so much money to the tsunami cause but not as much for causes like aids and malaria where the money is so desparately needed?

Oh, cry me a river.
Reply 2
Attrition: so many deaths per day are "normal"
Ignorance: because it is "normal" it isn't reported and people don't think or know about it
Weejimmie
Attrition: so many deaths per day are "normal"
Ignorance: because it is "normal" it isn't reported and people don't think or know about it

Indeed. I once saw on the BBC during the time of constant coverage of Iraq conflicts, that they mentioned there were decades more occuring in Africa and in Asia, yet these events never got a mention until then.

Howard
Oh, cry me a river.

Is this how you got your Mickey Mouse award? :rolleyes:
Reply 4
The coutries effected by the tsunami are widely used for tourism. But Africa is not in comparison.
The media is also a large factor in this, as already mentioned they report the tsunami but not so much with the aids/malaria outbreaks in Africa. There is also the fact that many British have died and many more are still missing and so it can be related back to here. There is always going to be more interest in a story if it has some relation to the country. After all papers are there to sell, the tsunami would sell papers by people looking for relatives but the African situation wouldn't have the same effect.
Reply 5
I agree, I just think it is sad that the aids epidemic doesn't get the same publicity when it really needs it.
Reply 6
It just seems that the attitude of the world is that "millions die every day... but until now, none of them was important".
Howard
Oh, cry me a river.

Are you serious? :confused:
Reply 8
i have a south african friend...

"AIDS is the best thing that'll ever happen to africa"
Reply 9
technik
i have a south african friend...

"AIDS is the best thing that'll ever happen to africa"

I don't get it?
Reply 10
randdom
I don't get it?

neither do i really.

although from hearing his views, i can understand the points hes trying to make.
Reply 11
randdom

Can people actually be expected to care every day of their life? It is easy to not care when people don't know. The Aids epidemic isn't publicized very much at all. So people don't know enough to care.
Reply 12
randdom

I think it gets plenty of support, it just doesn't get plenty of press.

President Bush's FY 2005 budget requests $2.8 billion for fighting AIDS globally.
Reply 13
Douglas

President Bush's FY 2005 budget requests $2.8 billion for fighting AIDS globally.

I know there is money that goes into AIDS and HIV. I am just trying to say that many people don't seem to realise the scale of the problem and from a view of public donation there isn't as much
Reply 14
Douglas

I agree. A lot is being done to combat the aids epidemic.

The situation is also entirely different. Aids cannot be cured so these people are going to die of aids, they can only be treated. And treating them requires a lot of money (time, doctors, drugs etc.), and the money they receive is not enough.

Also, the asian tsunami is a natural disaster, and it makes people think....it could have happened on any continent. And i doubt that the funds received will cover all the costs of restoring the countries affected. And the UN has agreed to give them a 700million loan, so they are going to be forever in debt anyway.........

Im sure 3 years from now the people affected will still be living in poverty, but i doubt you'll hear about that.
As harsh as it is, it is all to do with what cause is fashionable! governments dont donate money as governments, they donate it as representatives of the people and as a result whatever is in the forefront of peoples' minds will be the cause the donate to. I agree with the above post that after a while of people hearing about things they just get tired of them, it is a sad fact but a true one.
Reply 16
randdom
I know there is money that goes into AIDS and HIV. I am just trying to say that many people don't seem to realise the scale of the problem and from a view of public donation there isn't as much

I agree, there's not much public money flowing in. Though a few faith based organizations are raising money.

Latest

Trending

Trending