The Student Room Group

Passive income help?

As I graduate this year and plan to move back to Manchester with my partner, I'm really struggling to try and save enough money to comfortably pay my share of rent from July.

I currently have around 2600 in savings, with another 1000 to go in by June, totalling around 3600/3700 depending on my income.
I work part time at the moment and plan to continue to do so - either transferring within my current role to another supermarket, or another job if that isn't possible.

I earn around 350 a month, so by the time I've paid for my rent (as my loan doesn't cover my rent by around 100 a month), phone, other bills etc, I don't have much to save, sometimes £20/£30 a month, realistically. I don't live above my means - I pay a relatively low phone bill, discount at work for food shopping etc.

I've focused on trying to credit build to look more attractive for graduate overdrafts to help out, saving £20 a month into a LoqBox credit builder. I've also paid off my current overdraft of £750 and closed the account so it's one less on my credit report.

I'm getting a pay rise in April to £10 an hour, which will be around £400 a month. Even then, I don't expect I could do anymore hours than my 10 per week as I'll be doing a law masters and it's fairly intense. I worked a LOT during my first and second year of uni and it really got too much, so I don't plan to increase my hours again at any point. I've asked for a few hours overtime as of current each week, but there's just nothing going unfortunately.

Does anyone have any ideas of passive income to help top up the savings? I've decided to sell quite a few items of clothing, but again I don't expect much from those either really.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Original post by Manclass98
As I graduate this year and plan to move back to Manchester with my partner, I'm really struggling to try and save enough money to comfortably pay my share of rent from July.

I currently have around 2600 in savings, with another 1000 to go in by June, totalling around 3600/3700 depending on my income.
I work part time at the moment and plan to continue to do so - either transferring within my current role to another supermarket, or another job if that isn't possible.

I earn around 350 a month, so by the time I've paid for my rent (as my loan doesn't cover my rent by around 100 a month), phone, other bills etc, I don't have much to save, sometimes £20/£30 a month, realistically. I don't live above my means - I pay a relatively low phone bill, discount at work for food shopping etc.

I've focused on trying to credit build to look more attractive for graduate overdrafts to help out, saving £20 a month into a LoqBox credit builder. I've also paid off my current overdraft of £750 and closed the account so it's one less on my credit report.

I'm getting a pay rise in April to £10 an hour, which will be around £400 a month. Even then, I don't expect I could do anymore hours than my 10 per week as I'll be doing a law masters and it's fairly intense. I worked a LOT during my first and second year of uni and it really got too much, so I don't plan to increase my hours again at any point. I've asked for a few hours overtime as of current each week, but there's just nothing going unfortunately.

Does anyone have any ideas of passive income to help top up the savings? I've decided to sell quite a few items of clothing, but again I don't expect much from those either really.

Thanks!

I dont think passive income is really possible. Passive income really is dividends of some sort, and requires savings/investment something you dont really have a meaningful amount of atm to generate a decent yield.

Realistically any more income you generate will require work of some kind unless your going to do a hail-Mary investment which isnt wise anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
I dont think passive income is really possible. Passive income really is dividends of some sort, and requires savings/investment something you dont really have a meaningful amount of atm to generate a decent yield.

Realistically any more income you generate will require work of some kind unless your going to do a hail-Mary investment which isnt wise anyway.

Yeah, I'm definitely not looking to invest anything anywhere as of now. Perhaps passive was the wrong word to use - other ways deemed to create a bit of extra cash, I mean.

Thanks!

people always try to move out for no reason, just stay where youve been living. if you just want some extra money youll either need to work more hours or get a higher quality job.
Reply 4
Original post by Goku's Hairbrush
people always try to move out for no reason, just stay where youve been living. if you just want some extra money youll either need to work more hours or get a higher quality job.

I'll further clarify my situation so you understand why that won't be possible.

I'm a third year student house sharing with two others, both of whom will be also leaving as our tenancy ends in June. I'll be moving back to Manchester to do a masters degree - other reason being I know the city well, I grew up there, and my partner will be moving in with me. I couldn't afford to pay rent on my own, hence the question on income to share rent.

I currently don't have the capacity to find a full time job, due to studies. I've also just explained that there's no overtime going at the moment, so again, isn't possible. If I'm only in Leeds until June before I leave, and there's no other hours, I can't really do much about that.
Reply 5
Original post by mnot
I dont think passive income is really possible

I think of passive income more as something you can work to setup and it then just runs on auto-pilot without any/much input.

For instance I setup a website which advertises a service (supplied by another company). I've not touched the website in 6 months and yet it continues to bring in new/repeat customers every month. That is passive income.
Reply 6
Original post by Reue
I think of passive income more as something you can work to setup and it then just runs on auto-pilot without any/much input.

For instance I setup a website which advertises a service (supplied by another company). I've not touched the website in 6 months and yet it continues to bring in new/repeat customers every month. That is passive income.

Yeah, I've already clarified I used the wrong word lol, I just meant other income streams basically. Not necessarily looking to invest or start-up anything.
Original post by Reue

I would agree that it is passive after setting it up, but still requires expertise & time invested at the start. That was why I said "work of some kind" rather then just do more hours or 2nd job, their would be some involvement needed to get going.
If you can have a regular amount going out of your account each month into an Investment Trust (Ideal) or Open ended fund, then you will be surprised at the passive income you can quickly accumulate, particularly if you can reinvest the dividends automatically. There are plenty of options for that if you want yield, but as you are presumably younger, you should go 100% equities and all out growth and let it run for a bit and keep topping up your pot monthly.

Non investment related ideas for passive income could be setting up an etsy or shopify store and finding something niche to sell like personal hobby/craft projects. They seem to be quite popular and people are willing to pay for this stuff which they don't want to make themselves, either because they don't have the time or skill.
Reply 9
Original post by neal95
If you can have a regular amount going out of your account each month into an Investment Trust (Ideal) or Open ended fund, then you will be surprised at the passive income you can quickly accumulate, particularly if you can reinvest the dividends automatically. There are plenty of options for that if you want yield, but as you are presumably younger, you should go 100% equities and all out growth and let it run for a bit and keep topping up your pot monthly.

Non investment related ideas for passive income could be setting up an etsy or shopify store and finding something niche to sell like personal hobby/craft projects. They seem to be quite popular and people are willing to pay for this stuff which they don't want to make themselves, either because they don't have the time or skill.

Thanks for this!

I'll definitely take a look at those options. We aren't looking for anything expensive to rent either, to be honest. I'm pretty frugal with money hence the savings - I've just struggled for extra income mostly due to losing a job and starting another with no overtime as of last year due to COVID.

I'll take a look at the trusts and funding accounts - thanks for this. Much appreciated.
Thanks for this!

I'll definitely take a look at those options. We aren't looking for anything expensive to rent either, to be honest. I'm pretty frugal with money hence the savings - I've just struggled for extra income mostly due to losing a job and starting another with no overtime as of last year due to COVID.

I'll take a look at the trusts and funding accounts - thanks for this. Much appreciated.

No problem, glad I could help!

Just make sure to open a Stocks and Shares ISA before you start investing, as you will quickly accumulate and you will want to be sure that you don't have to pay any tax when you want to draw on some of your investments. It dosen't matter if you won't be using the whole £20,000 allowance, just make sure you do it right first time round, and then you don't have to worry about CGT down the line.

Personally I like to use one of the old school brokerages, Interactive Investor, as they have a flat fee basis. This works out more expensive at the beginning, as its flat fee of £9.99 Per month for an ISA. However, over time this is much better than giving a certain % of the total pot to the fund manager/brokerage, as 1-2% of £1000 isn't much, but it soon adds up when your into the 6 figure sums!

There are lots of new apps that some people use such as Freetrade etc, but personally I felt their offerings were not quite broad enough for me at the time. its definitely worth spending a bit of time researching before you commit your money though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending