The Student Room Group

GCSE Options

I am currently a year 9 student. Next month, I will be choosing my GCSE subjects, but I'm really indecisive and can't choose. I study well and am in top sets for everything, but most people say that once they start the proper GCSE work, it is really hard to keep up good grades. I really want to do well and succeed, so I was wondering if any you could help me.

If you can, please could you share some tips about choosing GCSE subjects?

Scroll to see replies

That's exactly what happened to me. I was so smart before I was in GCSE and did a mistake of taking really tough GCSE subjects liked the triple pure science and others 6 subjects that I thought I could do it only to end up failing almost every examination and I can't even drop any subjects (But I ended up getting 6-9 for all subjects in GCSE). So, my advise is take subjects that relates to what you want to do in the future or if you don't know what you want to do in the future, pick a subject that interest you or something easy that you can actually handle. If you want to a subject but think you can't handle it, just find a tutor or take extra classes.
"but most people say that once they start the proper GCSE work, it is really hard to keep up good grades" -- firstly, this isn't true so don't worry about that. There's not really a big leap in content apart from new subjects you take (like business / CompSci), it follows it's natural progression so you won't go from last Y9 maths lesson being easy to first Y10 lesson being hard - GCSE has a looot of recap and new topics are added in naturally rather than rushed in. Only GCSE's I see having big differences in content from pre-GCSE are History, languages and music.

Basically, you just want to choose GCSE's you enjoy and are good at. The subjects themselves don't matter (not for GCSE, for A-Levels yes somewhat) however you may want to choose ones which compliment your future A-Level aspirations, as well as ones which you just think are interesting. Only your maths, English and science will be looked at for university (and a language if you plan to go to UCL). Of course achieving a strong set of grades overall will help you compete in top universities (more specifically Oxford) and colleges, so that's very important - don't pick up a subject if you have a feeling you wont be good at it.

One tip, don't fall for EBACC - as a student that means nothing for you, and there are no benefits / extra qualifications of doing it. It is purely a way for schools to measure progress, but some staff will try to make it out as if it's going to help you in the future - it wont. But yeah man, there's really not much to say, it sounds like a big decision (and at your age it kind of is) but in the long run it's not really something people will look at. As soon as you earn a qualification above GCSE's (so Level 3 or above) then what you did at GCSE's pretty much becomes irrelevant (again, apart from Maths and English) in terms of getting a job.
Reply 3
Original post by 1-800-WAIFU
That's exactly what happened to me. I was so smart before I was in GCSE and did a mistake of taking really tough GCSE subjects liked the triple pure science and others 6 subjects that I thought I could do it only to end up failing almost every examination and I can't even drop any subjects (But I ended up getting 6-9 for all subjects in GCSE). So, my advise is take subjects that relates to what you want to do in the future or if you don't know what you want to do in the future, pick a subject that interest you or something easy that you can actually handle. If you want to a subject but think you can't handle it, just find a tutor or take extra classes.

Ok, thanks for the advice!
Reply 4
Original post by V℮rsions
"but most people say that once they start the proper GCSE work, it is really hard to keep up good grades" -- firstly, this isn't true so don't worry about that. There's not really a big leap in content apart from new subjects you take (like business / CompSci), it follows it's natural progression so you won't go from last Y9 maths lesson being easy to first Y10 lesson being hard - GCSE has a looot of recap and new topics are added in naturally rather than rushed in. Only GCSE's I see having big differences in content from pre-GCSE are History, languages and music.

Basically, you just want to choose GCSE's you enjoy and are good at. The subjects themselves don't matter (not for GCSE, for A-Levels yes somewhat) however you may want to choose ones which compliment your future A-Level aspirations, as well as ones which you just think are interesting. Only your maths, English and science will be looked at for university (and a language if you plan to go to UCL). Of course achieving a strong set of grades overall will help you compete in top universities (more specifically Oxford) and colleges, so that's very important - don't pick up a subject if you have a feeling you wont be good at it.

One tip, don't fall for EBACC - as a student that means nothing for you, and there are no benefits / extra qualifications of doing it. It is purely a way for schools to measure progress, but some staff will try to make it out as if it's going to help you in the future - it wont. But yeah man, there's really not much to say, it sounds like a big decision (and at your age it kind of is) but in the long run it's not really something people will look at. As soon as you earn a qualification above GCSE's (so Level 3 or above) then what you did at GCSE's pretty much becomes irrelevant (again, apart from Maths and English) in terms of getting a job.

Firstly, what's EBACC?
Ok, this is useful, my school doesn't have many subjects separate for GCSE - health and social is the only new one, I'm going to take.
Thanks so much for the advice!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by AA..
I am currently a year 9 student. Next month, I will be choosing my GCSE subjects, but I'm really indecisive and can't choose. I study well and am in top sets for everything, but most people say that once they start the proper GCSE work, it is really hard to keep up good grades. I really want to do well and succeed, so I was wondering if any you could help me.

Try not to worry too much, for picking your subjects choose ones you enjoy. The jump in work difference to GCSE isn't really that different, in A levels it is a bit more, if you want, try choosing subjects that could lead to your A level choices and to what you want to do in life. Don't worry, you got this!
Reply 6
Original post by nct_dream
Try not to worry too much, for picking your subjects choose ones you enjoy. The jump in work difference to GCSE isn't really that different, in A levels it is a bit more, if you want, try choosing subjects that could lead to your A level choices and to what you want to do in life. Don't worry, you got this!

For some strange reason, I have my a-level subjects planned out, but I have no clue what to do for GCSEs, but my a-levels are basically 2 sciences and maths, which are compulsory for GCSE at our school anyway, so that's going to be ok. Thank you so much!
At GCSE, it's best to choose the subjects you enjoy most, as those are the ones that you will get good results in.
Original post by AA..
Firstly, what's EMBACC?
Ok, this is useful, my school doesn't have many subjects separate for GCSE - health and social is the only new one, I'm going to take.
Thanks so much for the advice!

The English Baccalaureate (EBACC) is a common set of GCSE's taken together which allows schools to compare the grades achieved on said GCSE's to indicate their performance with other schools. The reason it's a specific set of GCSE's is so you can compare them directly - i.e. you can compare 2 schools maths, or 2 schools history and so on.

The subjects are:
Maths, English, Science, humanities subject (History or Geography) and a language

The problem is is that many students are told to do this combination, yet are not good at humanities / languages or did not want to do humanities / languages (and do badly / struggle to do well) but are told it's "best for their future". This is not the case. Most schools have a humanities subject as required however languages aren't commonly forced, which is where many student complaints come from. Feel free to take this set of GCSE's if you want, there's certainly nothing wrong with it, but just know it's no different to any other combination, other than that the school can measure their progress easier by this model.
Reply 9
The English Baccalaureate (EBACC) is a common set of GCSE's taken together which allows schools to compare the grades achieved on said GCSE's to indicate their performance with other schools. The reason it's a specific set of GCSE's is so you can compare them directly - i.e. you can compare 2 schools maths, or 2 schools history and so on.

The subjects are:
Maths, English, Science, humanities subject (History or Geography) and a language

The problem is is that many students are told to do this combination, yet are not good at humanities / languages or did not want to do humanities / languages (and do badly / struggle to do well) but are told it's "best for their future". This is not the case. Most schools have a humanities subject as required however languages aren't commonly forced, which is where many student complaints come from. Feel free to take this set of GCSE's if you want, there's certainly nothing wrong with it, but just know it's no different to any other combination, other than that the school can measure their progress easier by this model.

I'm thinking about taking History and Geography, but not a language - its too stressful. We haven't been told about EBACC at our school, but thanks for the heads up.
Original post by AA..
I'm thinking about taking History and Geography, but not a language - its too stressful. We haven't been told about EBACC at our school, but thanks for the heads up.

No worries man, and I saw you said you wanted to do A-Level sciences; I'd definitely go for triple science in that case. That should take up a slot too :yep:

Triple science isn't that much different from combined, apart from you get 3 separate GCSE's from it and there's a few more topics / practicals you have to do. And a few more freesciencelessons videos to watch
Original post by AA..

EBACC only benefits the school not you - no need to take a language. My tip is to read the specification so you know what you wil study and how you are assesed.
Reply 12
No worries man, and I saw you said you wanted to do A-Level sciences; I'd definitely go for triple science in that case. That should take up a slot too :yep:

Triple science isn't that much different from combined, apart from you get 3 separate GCSE's from it and there's a few more topics / practicals you have to do. And a few more freesciencelessons videos to watch

Yes, we always watched freesciencelessons at school. They were quite boring, but helpful at the same time. Thanks so much! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Muttley79
EBACC only benefits the school not you - no need to take a language. My tip is to read the specification so you know what you wil study and how you are assesed.

Ok, thanks so much!
Original post by AA..

Not gonna lie, I think a lot of that is just trying to scare you to keep working hard so there's no chance of you falling behind. I didn't work too hard in year 9 so my grades suffered a little, but after that I was pretty much fine.

This seems like a big choice at the time, but if you pick things you enjoy (maybe look at the specification to make sure it's what you expect) then it's hard to go wrong.
Original post by Muttley79

Just a heads-up: some top unis (admittedly very few, I can only think of UCL and Edinburgh off the top of my head) will want a MFL at GCSE. I only know because I was one of the last years to be required to take a language at GCSE at my school, but I didn't like MFL so I chose Latin.
Original post by AA..

pick the ones that you are good at and are getting the best grade in and are going to
Original post by ashtolga23
Just a heads-up: some top unis (admittedly very few, I can only think of UCL and Edinburgh off the top of my head) will want a MFL at GCSE. I only know because I was one of the last years to be required to take a language at GCSE at my school, but I didn't like MFL so I chose Latin.

I'm a teacher - even for UCL there is a way around that. UCL don't offer any degree uniquely so our dyslexics don't have to do a MFL,
choose subjects you enjoy, don't put yourself through 2 years of doing a subject you absolutely hate because you won't be motivated and will just end up struggling with it.
I recommend doing a language - employers look more highly at people who have done a language (most schools encourage it too - mine definitely did). Doing a human subject is also good. Someone mentioned EBACC (?) and said it was a waste but personally I would say it isn't and Most people end up doing it anyway. (I didn't know it was something schools used, I was told that Higher Education places like it and it makes you look more of a rounded student instead of just doing all creatives etc.).
Just a top tip - don't choose it based on what you're friends are doing or on the teacher, as you could not end up in a class with your friends or with that teacher who you really want and like. If you know what you want to do in the future (or even if you have just a few ideas) look at what the Higher Education places require from your GCSEs to do that career or degree at uni e.g doctors need some good GCSEs especially in science (i think?!) and teachers also require specific grades at GCSE.

Hope this helps
Original post by AA..
For some strange reason, I have my a-level subjects planned out, but I have no clue what to do for GCSEs, but my a-levels are basically 2 sciences and maths, which are compulsory for GCSE at our school anyway, so that's going to be ok. Thank you so much!

Then that's fine! my A level subjects are science based too, but GCSE i picked Spanish art and history, so it really wasn't an issue, best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest