Anonymous370
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi ,

My laptop has only one HDMI port to it, but I would like to have it connected to 2 monitors (with laptop lid down/closed). I'm not sure how to do so really. Any ideas ? I think there's something called Miracast out there, but this depends on Bluetooth for transmission so could be sluggish at times perhaps ? Not sure.

Thnx
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You shoudl be able to connect the other montor with the other monitor instead of both going through the laptop.

See the following article:
https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/how-to...-two-monitors/
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
(Original post by MindMax2000)
You shoudl be able to connect the other montor with the other monitor instead of both going through the laptop.

See the following article:
https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/how-to...-two-monitors/
Really? You mean to say, there is a HDMI cable from the laptop to monitor 1 as well as as a second HDMI cable that connects monitor 1 and monitor 2 together ?

EDIT: Is it really that simple ? If so, wow . Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous370; 4 months ago
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous370)
Really? You mean to say, there is a HDMI cable from the laptop to monitor 1 as well as as a second HDMI cable that connects monitor 1 and monitor 2 together ?
I'm pretty certain you can't connect multiple devices to one HDMI port. Some USB-C ports support video, but not all so you'd have to check if yours will. Otherwise, there's not much you can do.
MindMax2000
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

EDIT: Is it really that simple ? If so, wow . Thanks!
No, it;s not quite what I meant.

I meant you could connect one monitor to your laptop, then use a different cable to connect the back of your first monitor to the second. The cables ideally not be HDMI, but I think you could use it as well. The list of approrpriate cables depends on the back of your monitors, and those listed in the article.

You will need to fiddle around with the display settings on your laptop though.
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
No, it;s not quite what I meant.

I meant you could connect one monitor to your laptop, then use a different cable to connect the back of your first monitor to the second. The cables ideally not be HDMI, but I think you could use it as well. The list of approrpriate cables depends on the back of your monitors, and those listed in the article.

You will need to fiddle around with the display settings on your laptop though.
Okay. The different cable connecting back of the first monitor to the second - why's this ideally not meant to be HDMI ?:confused: I thought HDMI is HD (and supports 4K too) so makes a good choice, no ? Let's say both monitors have a HDMI port.
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
MindMax2000 I think I get you. The HDMI port on first monitor would already be in use as it's used to get it connected to laptop by HDMI cable. So, the HDMI port of the first monitor is unavailable. For that reason, the first monitor would have to get connected to the second monitor by VGA cable ? Else, laptop connects to the first monitor via VGA and then the first monitor would connect to the second monitor by HDMI. Is that what you mean basically ?
MindMax2000
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
MindMax2000 I think I get you. The HDMI port on first monitor would already be in use as it's used to get it connected to laptop by HDMI cable. So, the HDMI port of the first monitor is unavailable. For that reason, the first monitor would have to get connected to the second monitor by VGA cable ? Else, laptop connects to the first monitor via VGA and then the first monitor would connect to the second monitor by HDMI. Is that what you mean basically ?
Yeah, I think either connecting the second monitor with the first, or connecting both monitors to the laptop using different cables can work.
I'm not an expert in the area (I just know it's possible). I'd refer to the article for specific guidance on how to do this though.
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
Yeah, I think either connecting the second monitor with the first, or connecting both monitors to the laptop using different cables can work.
I'm not an expert in the area (I just know it's possible). I'd refer to the article for specific guidance on how to do this though.
Okay, thanks. PRSOM
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Does VGA cable support HD 1080p ? Full HD. What about 4K ?
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I have a port replicator for my laptop which supports 2 monitors so I can have 3 separate screens active (including the laptop one)
MindMax2000
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Does VGA cable support HD 1080p ? Full HD. What about 4K ?
I think you could more or less google the answers to these questions. The following article can help:
https://www.bluecinetech.co.uk/vga-max-resolution/
In short, it's possible for 180p, but not recommended.
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
I think you could more or less google the answers to these questions. The following article can help:
https://www.bluecinetech.co.uk/vga-max-resolution/
In short, it's possible for 180p, but not recommended.
Thanks, PRSOM!
(Original post by ReadingMum)
I have a port replicator for my laptop which supports 2 monitors so I can have 3 separate screens active (including the laptop one)
:eek: Wow! Impressive. How much did you get that for ? Any link to it, please ? Thanks.
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
This sounds like an awesome idea! Thanks again. Looking on Amazon for one...

EDIT: actually, a port replicator (or splitter) isn't what I'm after looking it up. I need extended display between monitors 1 and 2, with the laptop lid closed down (off for display).
Last edited by Anonymous370; 3 months ago
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
I think MindMax2000 idea of getting 2 monitors wired up together as a couple seems as if it'll make things work out in the end.

MindMax2000 is the article saying that (for the cables approach) to have 2 monitors as display (extended display set-up), we must have one of the monitors, say monitor 1, having 2 HDMI ports on its back ? Just want to make sure I understand it all right.
So, in this way, there would be one HDMI cable that connects the laptop's HDMI port to monitor 1's first HDMI port on its back, along with a second HDMI cable which connects monitor 2's HDMI port on its back to monitor 1's second HDMI port on its back.
This will then give the extended display across monitors 1 and 2. Is this correct ? Thanks!
MindMax2000
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think MindMax2000 idea of getting 2 monitors wired up together as a couple seems as if it'll make things work out in the end.

MindMax2000 is the article saying that (for the cables approach) to have 2 monitors as display (extended display set-up), we must have one of the monitors, say monitor 1, having 2 HDMI ports on its back ? Just want to make sure I understand it all right.
So, in this way, there would be one HDMI cable that connects the laptop's HDMI port to monitor 1's first HDMI port on its back, along with a second HDMI cable which connects monitor 2's HDMI port on its back to monitor 1's second HDMI port on its back.
This will then give the extended display across monitors 1 and 2. Is this correct ? Thanks!
That's how I'm interpreting it. If you need further help, you could always look it up on YouTube.
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
This sounds like an awesome idea! Thanks again. Looking on Amazon for one...

EDIT: actually, a port replicator (or splitter) isn't what I'm after looking it up. I need extended display between monitors 1 and 2, with the laptop lid closed down (off for display).
I can close the laptop almost down and just use the monitors which are on arms above the desk - I just have a use for 3 at once. Mine is a little Dell one like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-K17A00...s%2C140&sr=8-3
It is not a docking station.
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
I can close the laptop almost down and just use the monitors which are on arms above the desk - I just have a use for 3 at once. Mine is a little Dell one like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-K17A00...s%2C140&sr=8-3
It is not a docking station.
Oh, I've used something very similar to that one if not the same in a previous workplace.
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
That's how I'm interpreting it. If you need further help, you could always look it up on YouTube.
Okay thanks, PRSOM.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (184)
43.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.61%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.82%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
21.09%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (42)
9.95%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.92%

Watched Threads