theoallen
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,

I've been mulling over the idea of doing an Open University degree to help me with my career progression. When I left school I went straight into an apprenticeship in aircraft engineering and would now like to start my journey into management.

I'm really interested in and enjoy business and this seems like the obvious choice for a degree to help me into management. But I also love politics and economics so considering BA Politics, Philosophy & Economics. Which do you think would be more beneficial long term? I feel like PPE may be more respected but also a bit vague compared to a specific business degree?

Cheers
ma_adam
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

I did PPE from the OU. In terms of the 'concrete' relevance of the PPE to a career, it has been difficult at times going into a 'specific' career using the degree alone. So for most economist jobs, someone who did a BSc in Economics would have an easy advantage over me who did PPE from OU, for example.

But it has also helped a lot, I've had a wide-ranging career experience and the PPE helps you have a wider variety of skills. Another thing I'd say is if you choose to specialize in economics in the PPE, for example, you'd fulfil the requirements for some courses/entry level jobs of having 25% economic/statistical content. So can work both ways. But some employers will definitely have a harder time 'locating' your talents if you have no work experience if you want a specific role.

A business degree is more concretely focussed. You would have a higher chance of getting into a business role.

So it's essentially about breadth (PPE) vs depth (business). PPE will allow you to market yourself as more of an all rounder but you'd need to back this up with career experience too, whereas a business degree (I think) would make it easier to get into business roles but you wouldn't have the 'breadth' of the PPE.

Hope that helps a little
theoallen
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ma_adam)
Hi,

I did PPE from the OU. In terms of the 'concrete' relevance of the PPE to a career, it has been difficult at times going into a 'specific' career using the degree alone. So for most economist jobs, someone who did a BSc in Economics would have an easy advantage over me who did PPE from OU, for example.

But it has also helped a lot, I've had a wide-ranging career experience and the PPE helps you have a wider variety of skills. Another thing I'd say is if you choose to specialize in economics in the PPE, for example, you'd fulfil the requirements for some courses/entry level jobs of having 25% economic/statistical content. So can work both ways. But some employers will definitely have a harder time 'locating' your talents if you have no work experience if you want a specific role.

A business degree is more concretely focussed. You would have a higher chance of getting into a business role.

So it's essentially about breadth (PPE) vs depth (business). PPE will allow you to market yourself as more of an all rounder but you'd need to back this up with career experience too, whereas a business degree (I think) would make it easier to get into business roles but you wouldn't have the 'breadth' of the PPE.

Hope that helps a little
Thanks that helps!
k419
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ma_adam)
Hi,

Hope that helps a little
do u think that i have a good chance of getting into a top uni to study between ppe econ and management whilst taking a level economics geography/history (havent decided yet) and politics with maybe an epq
ma_adam
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by k419)
do u think that i have a good chance of getting into a top uni to study between ppe econ and management whilst taking a level economics geography/history (havent decided yet) and politics with maybe an epq
Hey, sorry for the (very) late response.

I would say you look at the prospectus and courses of those top unis and look at what A Levels they require. You want to hit those prerequisites as much as you can and do extracurriculars as they're top unis for a reason.

Your A Level choices sound good, especially with economics and politics, but I'd definitely advise you to look at what unis actually want if you're set on doing those degrees. I would browse through the top 5/10 unis and then make a list of what they each require and see how you can make the best A Level choice.

Hope that helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (148)
42.17%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (53)
15.1%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (142)
40.46%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.28%

Watched Threads