GYG: Share your top tips for learning online!

Watch
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Here's where to post your top tips for learning online :woo:

Most people have been online learning for at least half a term now, if not significantly longer in the case of many university students, so hopefully you've had time to work out what works for you, and now you can share these tips with others :yep:

This can be anything from how you organise your work, to how you motivate yourself to keep up with the pace or the best ways you've found to interact with your classmates!

This competition will close on 6th March, though of course you can still share tips after that
sunny.side.up
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Here's what I do that helps a lot

- Take notes on EVERYTHING! Anything that seems important my teacher says I write it down on a saved document on my laptop.
- For Zoom or other types of meetings I recommend using Docs and turning on voice typing. It records everything your teacher says, so you can go back and read anything you missed or need to read again.
- Try to volunteer to answer your teacher's questions, it not only helps others but yourself to better understand the topic and help remember.
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don't have your phone in your work space, otherwise you'll be tempted to go on it in your lessons :innocent:
Bookworm_88
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
Here's where to post your top tips for learning online :woo:

Most people have been online learning for at least half a term now, if not significantly longer in the case of many university students, so hopefully you've had time to work out what works for you, and now you can share these tips with others :yep:

This can be anything from how you organise your work, to how you motivate yourself to keep up with the pace or the best ways you've found to interact with your classmates!

This competition will close on 6th March, though of course you can still share tips after that
My tips:
1. I would say organise your work as if you were at school, make sure any folders are kept up to date, carry on making revision cards as you go, do those exam practice questions. It will help you in the long run and keep those stress levels down when mocks come rolling around the corner.
I also use a diary to schedule all my work out.
2. I personally motivate myself by knowing that if I keep to my school timetable and get all my work done during 'school time' then I have the rest of the afternoon off.
3. To rest I would just go into the garden (when the sun's out) to talk to people from school, I would mainly just message them on insta, or whattsapp depending.
4. General tip - I would have two devices on hand just in case, because if you have wi-fi like mine and computer that will have the occasional mid-life crisis, then an extra device for lessons on hand is useful.
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
- make to do lists.
- call your friends while you study/ study face time. I do this with two of my friends and it's really quite motivating because the three of us are all working together.
- set a specific time aside for relaxing.
😊
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Cool.
I think the most important thing for me is this:
Don't underestimate how much location and environment matters. In the 'Before Time', you went in to school or uni or a library and that was the place that you always did work in, so it gets you closer to the right state of mind to do some studying.
So: have a specific spot where you relax, another spot where you work, another spot where you sleep - keep them separate as much as possible. If you find yourself getting distracted while studying, take a break and go somewhere else. I've also heard of people turning on a specific set of lights in their room when they're working - just try to build a kind of environment like that to train your brain.
ReviseSleeping
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My tips:
1. Be prepared for the lesson beforehand. Make sure you have a charged device, pen, notepad, any textbooks ready so you aren't rushing before the meeting.
2. I always have my phone next to me, so I can take photos of the slides (so I don't miss anything) and reply in the chat on the Teams app (I find it easier than using my laptop, while in the lesson).
3. If you don't understand something, message or call a friend (I do this and it can be really beneficial) or ask the teacher - and don't be afraid to! They will understand that learning online is harder, and you never know - someone may have the same question and be too scared to ask
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For French I recommend Duolingo in conjunction with workbooks and flashcards. Question papers are another good way to test your writing and reading skills as well as your translation ability. If you need more listening and speaking practice I advise a tape recorder, or a audiobook.
You can even use some old French movies and music as the basis of your language practice session. If you are a visual learner I strongly propose the use of tools like cartoon strips, mind maps, colour coded class notes, and pictures. For any hands on pupils a bouncy ball may work wonders. French cookery and sport lessons are also a good idea for hands on learners really. Other tools recommended are worksheets and the use of a whiteboard in addition. You may wish to order those early on.
nm12345
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Here are things that I find really help out:
1. Make sure the meetings are being recorded and/or ask for any ppts and resources that were used in the meetings - this can help for when you re-do your notes, to make things stick in your mind.
2. Always do any homework the day you get it, it gives you more time to do practice papers during the week without having to worry about missing homework.
3. Do at least 1 practice paper per subject, every 2 weeks. Whether that means that you set aside a weekend to do papers, or if you do them throughout the 2-week period, always make sure you do it in timed conditions and send it to your subject teacher, to show them you're being proactive about your work.
4. Sometimes, making up a song to the beat of your favourite music can help you remember certain topics.(As long as you don't start singing in the exam though!)
And finally:
5. If possible, put your cameras on during the meetings! I know it's really annoying, especially when you look like you've just woken up, but if you force yourself to put your camera on, it will keep you in the daily school routine of having to get dressed and make an effort, and eventually, it will get easier to get out of bed faster in the mornings. (And let's face it, the teachers probably miss seeing our faces, so brighten up their day by showing them they aren't just talking to themselves!)
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I rely on my timetable for organising my lecture note taking and revision.
When I have the full timetable I:

1) Highlight all online lectures in a light orange shade

2) When I have made notes for those lectures, I highlight them a darker orange shade. I normally write my lecture notes weeks in advance but sometimes the slides aren’t up beforehand so I have to write them up after the lecture

3) When I have finished revising a lecture, I highlight it green.

This colour coding helps me keep track of what I haven’t done yet, what I’ve made notes for and what is till need to revise.
The rest of the white spaces in my timetable are the practical elements of my course or other sessions which don’t require note-taking/revision.
Hellllpppp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My three top tips
1) Keep away from your phone, only ever contact people who are in the lesson you’re doing
2) Have boundaries with people in your household - tell them when you’re available to help them, and when they need to leave you alone
3) Take breaks and if the weather is good use your lunch break to take a walk
Vinilla
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My lazy tips:
- Do your homework as soon as possible! I try to think about how if I do it I won't have to do it later and I will have free time, the stress over doing it last minute is not worth it
- For some people, they don't take notes like me because I cannot be bothered and also I won't read them back later so I use A*bio notes website where there are already notes on the topic that are pretty easy to understand and has a lot of images to help you link is here ---> http://astarbiology.com/a-level/
- Use past paper questions! They are like your best friends because you'll memorise the mark scheme when you mark your own papers so you'll know what vocab to use for a similar question and what they are looking for.
- Call a friend if you're bored studying so you guys can study together and ask questions to each other which will help boost your understanding of the subject

I hope these tips will help someone in need
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.55%
Virtual campus tours/open days (98)
22.9%
Live streaming events (39)
9.11%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (40)
9.35%
A uni comparison tool (98)
22.9%
An in-person event when available (95)
22.2%