The Evolution of EGB- a year 11 GYG

Watch
TheNotoriousEGB
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey guys!

so the day before yesterday i had my chemistry assessment (which I kind of felt alright walking out of), and tomorrow I have my A Christmas Carol assessment. I feel really underprepared, which is ironic because I am actually meant to be revising right now. Im sorry I have been away for a while, but I will be back after this assessment, as it is my last one this week. have a good day!
StarshineDiamond
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by TheNotoriousEGB)
Hey guys!

so the day before yesterday i had my chemistry assessment (which I kind of felt alright walking out of), and tomorrow I have my A Christmas Carol assessment. I feel really underprepared, which is ironic because I am actually meant to be revising right now. Im sorry I have been away for a while, but I will be back after this assessment, as it is my last one this week. have a good day!
good luck with your revision, I also have an RE and French test that I don't feel prepared for tomorrow. Hopefully things work out for you!
TheNotoriousEGB
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
hey peeps,

Im back today with an (almost) completed weekend to-do list:

WEEKEND TO-DO LIST:
-complete a history paper three
-annotate physics checklist and make flashcards from it
-work a shift
-practice reciprocal and sine graphs
-mark my completed maths paper
-do spanish listening tests
- complete two kickboxing workouts
-practice violin

so far, my first exam, my chemistry one, I got a 6 in. I know I should be really grateful, but I cant help but feel a sense of hopelessness, as I thought I really put all my effort into it. I also had my A Christmas Carol exam, where I feel as if I wrote everything I could of, but not neccessarily in a nuanced well written way. On the bright side, I never have to do A Christmas Carol EVER again.
This week, I will have my spanish listening and reading papers, along with my maths paper 2 and history paper 3.
Recently, I think I have only just realised how little time I have to myself, it is as if every minute has some kind of countdown, until I have to practice or revise this or that. That is why I really encourage people to start a bullet journal for self-care, as it has also improved my creative skills, alongside my improved organization. It also helps me track my sleep during school season.
Honestly, chilling whilst making bullet journal spreads and watching netflix is sooo relaxing.
Here is a video by alivia d andrea on youtube, on how to start one, I would reccomend AmandaRachlee as well, and there are loads of ideas on pinterest to get started.
Please be aware though that Alivia d andrea apparently shares toxic dieting tips, however this was the best video I could find .
Have a great week people
TheNotoriousEGB
Rep:
?
(Original post by StarshineDiamond)
good luck with your revision, I also have an RE and French test that I don't feel prepared for tomorrow. Hopefully things work out for you!
Thank you, to tell the truth it feels very stressful at the moment , and I hope your French and RE tests went well!
TheNotoriousEGB
Rep:
?
Hey guys, I am back today having fininshed my last exam this week. Namely the most monstrous looming shadow of all: MATHS. ugh. It went ok (I think), so I hope I did alright. From now on, I will be revising towards my last exam until the holidays, which is my physics paper 2 one. I will of course be posting my weekend to do list on friday, and I will try and get my weekly reccomendations done tomorrow

In other news, my school is trying to plan a prom, for when covid regulations are down, and all the jazz of yearbooks and leavers hoodies. Speaking of which, I have a really long list of potential yearbook quotes to pick through. My two most favourite ones are:

"I dont know half of you as well as I should like;and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

"If doors in life are not open to you than open them, because thats how doors work"

please comment your own yearbook quotes if you are doing them, because some of the ones I heard are really funny and memorable.

Have a good evening
StarshineDiamond
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey guys, I am back today having fininshed my last exam this week. Namely the most monstrous looming shadow of all: MATHS. ugh. It went ok (I think), so I hope I did alright. From now on, I will be revising towards my last exam until the holidays, which is my physics paper 2 one. I will of course be posting my weekend to do list on friday, and I will try and get my weekly reccomendations done tomorrow

In other news, my school is trying to plan a prom, for when covid regulations are down, and all the jazz of yearbooks and leavers hoodies. Speaking of which, I have a really long list of potential yearbook quotes to pick through. My two most favourite ones are:

"I dont know half of you as well as I should like;and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

"If doors in life are not open to you than open them, because thats how doors work"

please comment your own yearbook quotes if you are doing them, because some of the ones I heard are really funny and memorable.

Have a good evening
Oh wow, our formal exams are coming after easter but we've been doing in class assessments so far. Good luck with physics though. I'm not very creative and I don't think our school has a yearbook but if I had to think of a quote it would be.. "You don't need to run without knowing why. It's alright to not have any dreams - if you have moments where you can feel happiness then you're in paradise".
TheNotoriousEGB
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey peeps,

Today I have officially left school for the Easter holidays.My exams have finished, until after the holidays, which included a questonably done physics exam and an ok maths exam.I hope the rest of you are coping and can recover for the time being.

The first thing I did when I got back from my exam was kick back and watch seaspiracy on Netflx. It is a must -watch, like blue planet on steroids. Instead of it consisting of cute fish and plastic straws, it shows the grim, earth threatening way the fishing industry treat our seas, and exposes problems that blue planet never even touched upon.

In other news, I discovered I am leaving school on the 28th of May. It seems like a relief, but also worrying.After all, what on earth have I done in my five years of secondary school? Anyway, turning away from that midlife crisis,I am trying to find more things to do in my now 13 weeks of summer holidays. I know I am doing a virtual work experience placement at a law firm for a week, and I will try to enter essay competitions, thanks to this great thread:list of essay competitions

And here is my....

EASTER TO-DO LIST

- do three posts of weekly reccomendations

-keep GYG updated

-rewrite my English language paper 1 exam, send to teacher for feedback on improvements

- History Elizabethan England past paper

- revise chemistry, practice questions and cards

-revise paper 3 maths

-make a chemistry retrospective timetable

-revise An Inspector Calls, make cards and notes

-practice An Inspector calls essay, send to teacher to mark

-practice paper 3 maths paper

-English language paper 1 practice paper

-human geography practice paper

I hope you all have a great holiday:gthumb:
18ahussain
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
have a nice holiday
StarshineDiamond
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey peeps,

Today I have officially left school for the Easter holidays.My exams have finished, until after the holidays, which included a questonably done physics exam and an ok maths exam.I hope the rest of you are coping and can recover for the time being.

The first thing I did when I got back from my exam was kick back and watch seaspiracy on Netflx. It is a must -watch, like blue planet on steroids. Instead of it consisting of cute fish and plastic straws, it shows the grim, earth threatening way the fishing industry treat our seas, and exposes problems that blue planet never even touched upon.

In other news, I discovered I am leaving school on the 28th of May. It seems like a relief, but also worrying.After all, what on earth have I done in my five years of secondary school? Anyway, turning away from that midlife crisis,I am trying to find more things to do in my now 13 weeks of summer holidays. I know I am doing a virtual work experience placement at a law firm for a week, and I will try to enter essay competitions, thanks to this great thread:list of essay competitions

And here is my....

EASTER TO-DO LIST

- do three posts of weekly reccomendations

-keep GYG updated

-rewrite my English language paper 1 exam, send to teacher for feedback on improvements

- History Elizabethan England past paper

- revise chemistry, practice questions and cards

-revise paper 3 maths

-make a chemistry retrospective timetable

-revise An Inspector Calls, make cards and notes

-practice An Inspector calls essay, send to teacher to mark

-practice paper 3 maths paper

-English language paper 1 practice paper

-human geography practice paper

I hope you all have a great holiday:gthumb:
My school hasn't yet told us when we're leaving but I hope you're able to have some sort of leavers assembly or jumper - it would be great to have a memoir of your time in secondary school. I will add seaspiracy to the list of things I need to watch after exams/during summer. In terms of things to do in the summer, maybe you could go on a movie marathon or finish a popular series? Or to be more productive you could clean/redecorate your room and get equipment ready for sixth form? You could also be creative and draw or read a book.

I hope you're also able to rest! Good luck with your list.
Last edited by StarshineDiamond; 1 week ago
TheNotoriousEGB
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
My school hasn't yet told us when we're leaving but I hope you're able to have some sort of leavers assembly or jumper - it would be great to have a memoir of your time in secondary school. I will add seaspiracy to the list of things I need to watch after exams/during summer. In terms of things to do in the summer, maybe you could go on a movie marathon or finish a popular series? Or to be more productive you could clean/redecorate your room and get equipment ready for sixth form? You could also be creative and draw or read a book.

I hope you're also able to rest! Good luck with your list.
Hey I hope you are also able to rest and have a good leavers celebration, definitely watch seaspiracy Its so worth it) and I have a very long bucket list of books to read before college. Good luck!
TheNotoriousEGB
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by 18ahussain)
have a nice holiday
thank you have a good holiday as well
TheNotoriousEGB
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
Well well we meet againl

So far, I know I have really been procrastinating posting on TSR , and I have also been feeling really "heavy" about GCSEs in general? In the future, my dream is to be a barrister, and before go to a great, prestigious university, maybe oxbridge, or in London.I worry about not getting the best for maths, biology, chemistry and physics, because those are my weakest areas. Some days Im like I WANT ALL 9S. Other days its like Id be grateful if I could just pass. Even when I WANT ALL 9s my studying still seems meaningless and low effort. Its good to get this out on here, even though I know 800 people have been on this thread, which I still think is CRaZy but thank you so much guys, I really appreciate those of you sticking around to see me through

So far I have completed a set of cards for my next history exam, have rewritten my english language paper, made AIC notes revised some chemistry and maths. Tomorrow, I will do a practice AIC essay and some spanish revision. Meanwhile, I have been working most days, as I also need to save up for my prom dress.

I am reading the gulag archipelago at the moment, about the survivors of the gulag system in the soviet union. If anyone wants to understand communism in greater detail, please try to read it if you can , it is definitely as moving as Anne Franks diary, and will stay with you for a long time. Afterwards, I will read black and british, a forgotten history, in order to educate myself about black british history.

Just as a reminder: even if our education system does not teach it,this is a part of every british persons history, and it is our duty even if you are white like me, because our whiteness does not mean we should turn away from Britains violent history.

thank you guys
StarshineDiamond
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Well well we meet againl

So far, I know I have really been procrastinating posting on TSR , and I have also been feeling really "heavy" about GCSEs in general? In the future, my dream is to be a barrister, and before go to a great, prestigious university, maybe oxbridge, or in London.I worry about not getting the best for maths, biology, chemistry and physics, because those are my weakest areas. Some days Im like I WANT ALL 9S. Other days its like Id be grateful if I could just pass. Even when I WANT ALL 9s my studying still seems meaningless and low effort. Its good to get this out on here, even though I know 800 people have been on this thread, which I still think is CRaZy but thank you so much guys, I really appreciate those of you sticking around to see me through

So far I have completed a set of cards for my next history exam, have rewritten my english language paper, made AIC notes revised some chemistry and maths. Tomorrow, I will do a practice AIC essay and some spanish revision. Meanwhile, I have been working most days, as I also need to save up for my prom dress.

I am reading the gulag archipelago at the moment, about the survivors of the gulag system in the soviet union. If anyone wants to understand communism in greater detail, please try to read it if you can , it is definitely as moving as Anne Franks diary, and will stay with you for a long time. Afterwards, I will read black and british, a forgotten history, in order to educate myself about black british history.

Just as a reminder: even if our education system does not teach it,this is a part of every british persons history, and it is our duty even if you are white like me, because our whiteness does not mean we should turn away from Britains violent history.

thank you guys
I can't explain how much I relate to this post. Like I'm also aiming for 8/9s (preferably all 9s but french will kill me) and there are days where I try and convince myself that even a minimum of 7 across all subjects is enough- I think part of it is perfectionism and also me just wanting the best for myself. It's probably a toxic trait but I attribute some maybe even most of my self worth to my academic performance as its it's the only thing I've ever really felt praised for or the only thing I could hold on to as something I'm 'good' at so if I don't do well I feel garbage. I'm working in not putting too much pressure on myself but it takes time and patience I guess. Also what you said about revision is so true, it can feel less proactive at times or like I'm not really studying but I think testing myself has really made me more aware of what I know and don't know. Also congrats on 800 views (road to 1000 views :yeah:)

What type of dress do you have in mind? Any particular colour?

Also you're spitting facts :thumbsup: it's important to keep increasing awareness and knowledge even if you don't necessarily relate to the experiences of others Good luck with your revision btw
Last edited by StarshineDiamond; 1 day ago
TheNotoriousEGB
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 20 hours ago
I can't explain how much I relate to this post. Like I'm also aiming for 8/9s (preferably all 9s but french will kill me) and there are days where I try and convince myself that even a minimum of 7 across all subjects is enough- I think part of it is perfectionism and also me just wanting the best for myself. It's probably a toxic trait but I attribute some maybe even most of my self worth to my academic performance as its it's the only thing I've ever really felt praised for or the only thing I could hold on to as something I'm 'good' at so if I don't do well I feel garbage. I'm working in not putting too much pressure on myself but it takes time and patience I guess. Also what you said about revision is so true, it can feel less proactive at times or like I'm not really studying but I think testing myself has really made me more aware of what I know and don't know. Also congrats on 800 views (road to 1000 views :yeah:)

What type of dress do you have in mind? Any particular colour?

Also you're spitting facts :thumbsup: it's important to keep increasing awareness and knowledge even if you don't necessarily relate to the experiences of others Good luck with your revision btw
Thank you it sometimes feels like being in a bubble and thinking youre the only one going through whatever this is At the moment, I have no idea what dress I would go with, Im still browsing because a year ago I gave up unethical unsustainable fashion, so I am still filtering through small businesses on etsy. Thank you again, I hope I am doing the best I can here as still dont think the issue is getting much awareness.I hope your revision goes great
StarshineDiamond
Rep:
?
Report 19 hours ago
Thank you it sometimes feels like being in a bubble and thinking youre the only one going through whatever this is At the moment, I have no idea what dress I would go with, Im still browsing because a year ago I gave up unethical unsustainable fashion, so I am still filtering through small businesses on etsy. Thank you again, I hope I am doing the best I can here as still dont think the issue is getting much awareness.I hope your revision goes great
What is your checklist when it comes to sourcing ethical and sustainable fashion? How do you filter through dresses in order to pick the most sustainable?
TheNotoriousEGB
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 19 hours ago
So, the time has come for my...

WEEKY RECCOMENDATIONS

YOUTUBE CHANNEL- yogawithadriene-a great channel to start yog , whith definitely kept my going through lockdown and school
INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT-shityoushouldcareabout- this is also a podcast, and is good for daily, important news
BOOK-the gulag archipelago by alexander solzhenitsyn- very wordy, but possibly the best insight into why and how comunism has failed, whilst retelling the extraordinary stories of gulag survivors.
NETFLIX-the seaspiracy documentary- I know people have been raving about it, and it is so worth it. This documentary is why I will never eat fish again
PETITION-more black literature- Please sign, in order to make more black literature available in british secondary schools and in the GCSE specifications
TheNotoriousEGB
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 19 hours ago
What is your checklist when it comes to sourcing ethical and sustainable fashion? How do you filter through dresses in order to pick the most sustainable?
Firstly in that it is handmade, not mass produced somewhere and resold, and is not made of silk or polyester, which are regarded as the worst materials enviroment wise. Even if the material is not great sustainability wise, I am at least steering clear of funding fast fashion companies, who underpay their workers in sweatshops (only 3% of all garment workers worldwide are actually paid a living age) mostly without even covid regulations, and have even been connected to concentration camps in Xinjiang China. The main objective on my checklist is not to finance genocide.
At the moment, I think I will save up for a better quality dress/jumsuit, so that it lasts a long time,and can be reworn in order to reduce its carbon footprint
1hhh
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 hours ago
Well well we meet againl

Omg i relate to you so much 😃im aiming for all 9s too (unless eng lit forbids me) I feel that sometimes it feels meaningless too especially when we r revising the same damn content over and over
if its low effort that might be a good thing -you might just be finding it easier
StarshineDiamond
Rep:
?
Report 16 hours ago
Firstly in that it is handmade, not mass produced somewhere and resold, and is not made of silk or polyester, which are regarded as the worst materials enviroment wise. Even if the material is not great sustainability wise, I am at least steering clear of funding fast fashion companies, who underpay their workers in sweatshops (only 3% of all garment workers worldwide are actually paid a living age) mostly without even covid regulations, and have even been connected to concentration camps in Xinjiang China. The main objective on my checklist is not to finance genocide.
At the moment, I think I will save up for a better quality dress/jumsuit, so that it lasts a long time,and can be reworn in order to reduce its carbon footprint
Wow, I didn't even know some of these companies were linked to concentration camps. With all the information that we have at our fingertips, do you think we as a society decide to be willfully ignorant when it comes to unethical issues such as these or is there more of a blame on these companies for hiding or rather taking attention away from their dark practices? Because even though I care about issues such as these, I find that it doesn't take much for me to get distracted or be too caught up in my own sphere. I guess what I'm trying to say is, to what extent can we as a society shift blame for these unethical practices. You could argue that it's the companies that are at fault because they invest in such exploitation. However, it could also be argued that we as consumers enable this behaviour and with the fast fashion and general supply and demand we allow the exploitation to continue to happen by buying their product, especially in first world countries where the quality of life is seen as significantly higher. So how much responsibility is placed on who? With access to the internet and social media that allows us to gain insight on things happening across the world it's not as easy to just say "oh I didn't know" or "there's nothing I can do" since there's so much resources at hand. I know this doesn't really apply to your lifestyle since your more socially conscious and active in your activism - I just wanted to know your opinion. How much are we as a society to blame and should we even be accepting responsibility for the actions of these companies since we are the consumers? Is there even such thing as ethical consumption under a system of capitalism?
TheNotoriousEGB
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 44 minutes ago
Well, where to start... I do think a lot of people, including people I know to some extent are willfully ignorant. One of the main problems is that we are unwilling to dig up information, that you can literally find from a google search, but of course the main blame should be put on companies. Not only do most of them take part in unethical practice, they also try to cover it up through greenwashing. For example, H&M may have a "recycling program", but it is known that they only recycle 1% of those clothes.

As a society, blame can be transferred to governments and corporations being too resistant to change, but it is also we the people who have to change our habits, especially upper class and middle class people, because our carbon emitting actions have higher consequences for people living in poverty, who have the smallest consumption of resources. It largely depends on what aspect you are arguing.

Corporations should have a conscience. Amancio Ortega is the owner odf the largest fashion corporations in the world, Inditex, worth an estimated $68.5 billion. Yet why have his garment workers been found in slave like conditions,unpaid with accounts of child labour, exploiting people from argentines to syrian refugees?Corporations should be made to pay.

However, I would also say that the problem also lies within education. Yes, GCSEs are dull and excruciatingly repetitive, but aside from that, We know little to nothing about the world, and are not encouraged to question it. For example, our understanding of genocide for many only includes the Holocaust. But we as a nation have been complicit in genocide since the start of the empire, for example when over 1.5 million of the kikuya in Kenya were detained in "Britain's gulags" or concentration camps, during 1951-1960 where they were systematically tortured and suffered serious sexual assault. And our understanding of why genocide occurs has not evolved to where we are today. I have heard many parallels in the ways people talk about Muslims now and Jews during nazi propoganda, yet nobody seems to realise this- or care.which worries me . Many dont even realise how the banning of the hijab in France will have consequesnces around the world, as France s the center of many fashion companies, who will take a step back from hiring models who wear the hijab.

Facebook does not seem to care that it allowed its platform to incite hatred for rohingya muslims in Myanmar, resulting in the death, rape, torture of thousands, and the displacement of millions.Many companies, including fast fashion, are complicit in genocide, whether they realise it or not, especially with many fast fashion compaies such as shein and inditex being linked to forced labour in the xinjiang camps.

Genocide is not only a result of fascist regimes- it is also a result of unethical capitalism. Not everyone can avoid buying from genocidaires, but it is important to rip the mask off, and demand better.At the first instance, responsibility lies on the corporations, who actually have first hand knowledge of what they are doing.

As consumers, we do have responsibility. In my opinion, every pound we spend is as valuable as every vote we cast.But there is a more limited choice.I do not support fast fashion, because I have the option not to. I come from a middle class family, and have a job so that I can buy from ethical companies (if you want I can do a list). I am also a person who wants to be vegan in the long run, because I have a choice.But if you dont have a choice, please do not be silent. Let the big corporations know.

Yes, to some extent, social media does extend our sight, but it also clouds it over.Everyone has their own echochamber, meaning everyone gets different content based on algorithms. I get more news and content surrounding the enviroment and human rights for example than most people, becase I interact with that content more, like an endless cycle, but this means not everyone is exposed to the same news.If "you dont know", or "you cant do anything", you can literally search google. The best thing is to be vocal, for example of the 900 people who have seen this thread (hey guys) I hope I have made at least one of you think.Because that is where change starts.

I believe we have potential to reach a sustainable and ethical form of capitalism. We can see this with companies such as Lucy and Yake, and veja. Yet ethical products do have a higher price, which only some of us can afford. Personally, I save up and buy longer lasting well made items, as I will not throw them away easily or buy on a whim, if I see my wages reflected back at me. I know many people who are capable of doing this too. I But we need to radically change the system- a bamboo toothbrush is nowhere near enough, because we need a more circular economy, not one desirable product after the other.

All in all, I think it is those who have the greatest power who have the greatest responsibility, after all, great power comes with great responsibility. It is the responsibility of people higher up in society to act on their conscience, because it is a choice, an option for them. Together, us consumers have responsibility, but when it comes to people whose single decisions will decide on peoples lives and the enviroment, they are at fault (cough Amancio Ortega, cough)for putting human lives below profit and power

Sorry that was long, I hope this helps

Wow, I didn't even know some of these companies were linked to concentration camps. With all the information that we have at our fingertips, do you think we as a society decide to be willfully ignorant when it comes to unethical issues such as these or is there more of a blame on these companies for hiding or rather taking attention away from their dark practices? Because even though I care about issues such as these, I find that it doesn't take much for me to get distracted or be too caught up in my own sphere. I guess what I'm trying to say is, to what extent can we as a society shift blame for these unethical practices. You could argue that it's the companies that are at fault because they invest in such exploitation. However, it could also be argued that we as consumers enable this behaviour and with the fast fashion and general supply and demand we allow the exploitation to continue to happen by buying their product, especially in first world countries where the quality of life is seen as significantly higher. So how much responsibility is placed on who? With access to the internet and social media that allows us to gain insight on things happening across the world it's not as easy to just say "oh I didn't know" or "there's nothing I can do" since there's so much resources at hand. I know this doesn't really apply to your lifestyle since your more socially conscious and active in your activism - I just wanted to know your opinion. How much are we as a society to blame and should we even be accepting responsibility for the actions of these companies since we are the consumers? Is there even such thing as ethical consumption under a system of capitalism?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (46)
20.72%
Virtual accommodation tour (31)
13.96%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (11)
4.95%
Video content about the local area (2)
0.9%
Webinars with lecturers (9)
4.05%
Taster lectures or seminars (49)
22.07%
Speak to current students studying my course (46)
20.72%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (9)
4.05%
Fun online activities or experiences (7)
3.15%
Connecting with careers services or employers (6)
2.7%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (2)
0.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.8%

Watched Threads