Limoncello
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I just recently moved to France and I'm surprised to see how in continental Europe a lot of people have masters.

At my work, I'm actually literally the only one without a master. Been looking for another job and every job application I look at requires a Master.

What do you guys think ? Is it the same in the UK ?
mike23mike
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Limoncello)
I just recently moved to France and I'm surprised to see how in continental Europe a lot of people have masters.

At my work, I'm actually literally the only one without a master. Been looking for another job and every job application I look at requires a Master.

What do you guys think ? Is it the same in the UK ?
Yes, unfortunately the degree is not enough these days and more and more people are getting a masters qualification.
tonasoso
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Indeed, in France getting into higher studies does usually imply committing to doing a Masters. In order to have a competitive profile in the French job market it is now necessary to at least have 5 years of studies after the baccalaureate.

However the way studies are structured in France is very different to the UK. First of all, university is much more accessible as it is significantly cheaper than in the UK, as well as having very achievable entry requirements (until very recently having a baccalaureate was sufficient to join any university program, granted enough spaces are available). Selection is done after (as university programs are still very very demanding!) and usually the best students are the ones who were able to go as far as getting a masters. Universities are also competing against the less accessible and selective Grandes Ecoles (Engineering/Business Schools), which offers 3/4 year programs to students who have completed 2 years of prépa.

Things are very different in the UK. Universities are more or less selective depending on their prestige, and are only competing against each other. Studies are structured the same way in every university, which I think explains why having an undergrad in a lot of subjects is enough to secure a job in the UK. You wouldn't see a vast majority of undergraduate students pursuing doing a masters as you would do in France, which tells me that it isn't strictly necessary to have a masters in order to have enough of a competitive profile to get a job.

There is most definitely other factors that come into play, but those are the ones I can think of!
Limoncello
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by tonasoso)
Indeed, in France getting into higher studies does usually imply committing to doing a Masters. In order to have a competitive profile in the French job market it is now necessary to at least have 5 years of studies after the baccalaureate.

However the way studies are structured in France is very different to the UK. First of all, university is much more accessible as it is significantly cheaper than in the UK, as well as having very achievable entry requirements (until very recently having a baccalaureate was sufficient to join any university program, granted enough spaces are available). Selection is done after (as university programs are still very very demanding!) and usually the best students are the ones who were able to go as far as getting a masters. Universities are also competing against the less accessible and selective Grandes Ecoles (Engineering/Business Schools), which offers 3/4 year programs to students who have completed 2 years of prépa.

Things are very different in the UK. Universities are more or less selective depending on their prestige, and are only competing against each other. Studies are structured the same way in every university, which I think explains why having an undergrad in a lot of subjects is enough to secure a job in the UK. You wouldn't see a vast majority of undergraduate students pursuing doing a masters as you would do in France, which tells me that it isn't strictly necessary to have a masters in order to have enough of a competitive profile to get a job.

There is most definitely other factors that come into play, but those are the ones I can think of!
I agree with everything you said.

Moreover in France someone with a master has spent 1/4 of that time doing internships so it's not 5 years of pure academia. Wherelse in the UK when you get an internship/placement it becomes a 4y degree or 'sandwich degree'.

But my dilema is that I am now 28 ... considering getting a master next year or so, and statistically the age in a classroom for a master in France is 23 years and people just out of their bachelor with no work experience .... I have a BSc Hons (Top5) so I don't think it will add much value to my knowledge ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.94%
Virtual campus tours/open days (111)
23.17%
Live streaming events (44)
9.19%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (46)
9.6%
A uni comparison tool (109)
22.76%
An in-person event when available (107)
22.34%