Did not take human biology in Edexcel IGCSEs, planning to start A levels this summer.

Watch
Aabbyy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello. I will be starting my Edexcel A levels this july. I wish to take the three sciences. Now, the thing is I did not take Human biology in my IGCSEs. Will it be a problem to start A levels Biology without that extra bit of skeletal system knowledge from human biology? Thank you
Aabbyy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by username11235813)
If you did Biology Biology you'll be fine. Human biology isn't necessary and people usually don't tend to do both.

I'm doing Biology A level, without having done human biology GCSE (I did Biology and the other two sciences) and it hasn't made a difference to me at all? For my exam board (OCR A), at least, the skeleton isn't really important or in the exam. I don't know about Edexcel Bio, but I expect it's similar? My school doesn't offer human biology, only biology.

I do Edexcel Chemistry and Physics too (OCR for Biology though, Edexcel Maths, and OCR Further Maths), and I'd say that maths is incredibly useful for both of them. Being able to manipulate numbers and do algebra is probably the main thing (even in Chemistry - when you get to Hess Law cycles, pH, equilibria...) and make sure you can do moles calculations from GCSE, as that will give you a huge advantage.
Cannot thank you enough. Thank you
sophiezzz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by sophiezzz)
Hi it's miasophie, I had to make a new account due to glitches , please can you PM me your email for the igcse edexcel 2020 past papers? tysm
I couldn't pm back to your question on my other account due to not having access thank you for your replies etc
Mimi-Djo
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Another thing, how many papers are there in IGCSE biology edexcel?
and is there a higher level and foundation level?
Thanks a lot
Aabbyy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mimi-Djo)
Thanks a lot
There is no higher tier or lower tier in our igcses. So, only one paper, paper 1 110 marks, paper 2 70 marks with a scientific article kinda passage as question 1. Welcome
username11235813
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mimi-Djo)
Thanks a lot
Two papers - a longer one, and a shorter one. There's no higher/foundation level anymore.
Mimi-Djo
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by username11235813)
Two papers - a longer one, and a shorter one. There's no higher/foundation level anymore.
Thanks guys!
Just a thing, I used to study GCSE Edexcel then switched to IGCSE Edexcel, but I noticed that IGCSE is much simpler and easier, much of the info in GCSE is not present there, so do universities prefer you To have a GCSE instead of an IGCSE as they should be aware of the difference?
Would it affect your likeliness to be admitted to a uni (like queen mary) ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (165)
4.88%
Uncertainty around my education (497)
14.69%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (378)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (472)
13.95%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (164)
4.85%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (207)
6.12%
Loneliness (287)
8.48%
Financial worries (121)
3.58%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (136)
4.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (154)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (185)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (302)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (315)
9.31%

Watched Threads