Albanatric
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello all!
I previously posted saying about being unsure on my current goals and have started to realise that an apprenticeship may be for me. I have several areas in mind that I would be interested in going into (anything to do with history, travel, animals, aviation - excluding engineering as I am thinking more along the lines of air traffic controller, etc.) however finding anything at all on them seems to be tremendously difficult.
I was wondering if I am simply looking at the wrong time (and if so when would be best to search?), in the wrong place (I have been googling simply the terms followed my apprenticeships and have looked on the government website where there is a search tool), or for some other reason - perhaps my areas simply don't commonly offer apprentices places. I am also aware that COVID has most likely had a huge impact on this but unfortunately I cannot wait due to having to stay in education under 18.
This would ideally be a level 3 apprenticeship as it would be to replace A-levels (level 2 seems to be pointless in my position as it is GCSE level as far as I can read?) however if higher levels are available to me I would be glad to take them on to.
Thank you for reading and I hope you can help. Stay safe all!
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I took the apprenticeship route from level 2 to level 6 engineering (BEng). I studied in a range of academic topics and industries including manufacturing, mechanical, medical, and bio engineering.

Perhaps you may benefit from using broader search terms or looking at specific industries/employers.

Let me know if you have any questions.
AuTalon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you haven't done/aren't doing your A-Levels, then a Level 3 apprenticeship will be the highest level you can do as you said.

From January to May is when most apprenticeship's open up. Larger and more competitive companies will start their applications earlier but they tend to keep them open until around February/March.

These are the websites I've been using to look for Level 4/6 apprenticeships, but they actually have more Level 3 ones listed (by over 100 listings each):
https://www.ratemyapprenticeship.co.uk/ (Best tool in my opinion)
https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/ (This one might not be as good, since it's more suited to those that have already done their A-Levels but I'd try anyways)
https://uk.indeed.com/ (A normal job site, but I find apprenticeships on there from time to time)

I'd just give up on using the .gov one really, I've heard and experienced that it only shows a fraction of the apprenticeships being advertised elsewhere.

Looking up the job categories you mentioned, I got no results. Still, I don't know the specific job titles so you'll have to give it a try.
Last edited by AuTalon; 2 weeks ago
TSRAcco
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd try looking for apprenticeships elsewhere. I'm interested in doing a software developer/engineer apprenticeship, but have found there to be literally nothing in Eastbourne (where I live), not even Brighton (which surprised me, as Brighton tends to be a bit of a technology hotspot). The nearest one was in Worthing, but that was only one vacancy - have applied for multiple around London, Cambridge, Bristol, Newbury, Portsmouth. Some of these locations are over 3 hours away - the plan is to relocate and hopefully house-share with another new apprentice.

If an apprenticeship is what you want to do, I wouldn't let location hold you back. Apply for as many as you can. The pandemic will kind of work in your favour here, as interviews will be virtual.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.14%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.27%
Live streaming events (51)
8.72%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.4%
A uni comparison tool (136)
23.25%
An in-person event when available (130)
22.22%