Subject Choice for Scottish Highers between Physics and Economics

Watch
DrFuntimes24
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello all, I’m in S4 and I’m doing highers next year, so I’m a bit unsure for for my final subject choice between Physics and Economics. I’m planning to take Maths, English, Bio and Chem, and at the moment I’m intending to do medicine. However, I would like to keep my options as open as possible. From what I’ve heard, Economics can generally lead to careers which are better paying that a career related to Physics, which is a factor as I want to be able to keep financially independent, but also I’m more interested in Physics. Any advice over this dilemma would be greatly appreciated
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
firstly:
I recommend you look at the entry requirements for both medicine (there's only 5 Scottish med schools for you to check out) and any other courses you may be interested in

secondly:
if you haven't already - check out online med work experience such as BSMS and observeGP and the medic life and medic mentor

thirdly:
the cliche and predictable advice of pick something you will enjoy and want to do online teaching with/show up to class for and get the A and want to learn -> having 5As (does not matter if its an A2 or A1/70% or 99%) can widen your choice of uni and course even if you don't want to medicine in the end

disclaimer: my school didn't have higher econmincs so don't know much about that but I did take higher physics and later advanced higher physics (and applied to med during S6 and this gap year)
Last edited by stereotypeasian; 1 week ago
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DrFuntimes24)
Hello all, I’m in S4 and I’m doing highers next year, so I’m a bit unsure for for my final subject choice between Physics and Economics. I’m planning to take Maths, English, Bio and Chem, and at the moment I’m intending to do medicine. However, I would like to keep my options as open as possible. From what I’ve heard, Economics can generally lead to careers which are better paying that a career related to Physics, which is a factor as I want to be able to keep financially independent, but also I’m more interested in Physics. Any advice over this dilemma would be greatly appreciated
Either option would leave you with quite a lot of options. Medicine doesn't need higher physics, and likewise Economics courses don't need you to have studied higher economics. A physics degree usually will need higher physics however. Depending on where you want to apply, all of those 3 options can have quite high grade requirements. I would suggest that as above you have a look as some entry requirements, but overall you go with whichever you think you will get the best grade in and will enjoy the most.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (26)
13.83%
Virtual campus tours/open days (43)
22.87%
Live streaming events (17)
9.04%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (18)
9.57%
A uni comparison tool (42)
22.34%
An in-person event when available (42)
22.34%