Blakey247
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Is it okay to lie on a driving license application about you being able to see a number plate from the required distance even though your only using it for ID purposes and not driving?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Blakey247)
Is it okay to lie on a driving license application about you being able to see a number plate from the required distance even though your only using it for ID purposes and not driving?
Of course it isn't okay
Blakey247
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
But would you recommend it or not?
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Blakey247)
Strictly speaking, no, it's absolutely not okay....

However.. if you have absolutely no intentions of driving (and should you change your mind you immediately contact DVLA prior to attempting to drive) then I see it somewhat as a necessary evil.

I can sympathise with you needing government issued photographic ID where a passport is not always feasible or ideal.

Be aware that it is a criminal offence to make a false declaration to obtain a licence, and you are liable for a maximum £2,500 fine if prosecuted.

Given you have no intentions to drive, the chance of prosecution is slim to none.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I might be misremembering, but I think the application form only asks if you need glasses to drive, (more of a self declaration than anything). The reading a number plate at distance only comes up if you actually take a test.

It’ll depend on the wording in the current form, but Tom’s advice is sound.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
I might be misremembering, but I think the application form only asks if you need glasses to drive, (more of a self declaration than anything). The reading a number plate at distance only comes up if you actually take a test.

It’ll depend on the wording in the current form, but Tom’s advice is sound.
I think you may be. The latest example of the D1 form I can find (which granted is quite old but I don't imagine it would have changed much) asks the applicant to confirm that they can...
"be able to read a car number plate (with glasses or corrective lenses if necessary) from 20.5 metres (67 feet), or 20 metres (65 feet) if narrower characters (50 millimetres wide) are displayed".
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
I think you may be. The latest example of the D1 form I can find (which granted is quite old but I don't imagine it would have changed much) asks the applicant to confirm that they can...
"be able to read a car number plate (with glasses or corrective lenses if necessary) from 20.5 metres (67 feet), or 20 metres (65 feet) if narrower characters (50 millimetres wide) are displayed".
In that case I probably should’ve worn my glasses when filling in the form :j

You’re correct, the most recent version that I can find has two questions, one about glasses and a declaration that you can read a number plate at the required distance.

I’m not sure anyone has ever gotten in trouble for making a false declaration here. If you can’t meet the standard they just revoke your provisional. Unless you are registered as visually impaired you could always just claim that your eyesight had worsened since you filled in the form.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
I’m not sure anyone has ever gotten in trouble for making a false declaration here. If you can’t meet the standard they just revoke your provisional. Unless you are registered as visually impaired you could always just claim that your eyesight had worsened since you filled in the form.
That's what I'd recommend. If it's only for ID purposes nobody gets hurt but if you lie about it to be able to drive then it becomes an issue.
TheDE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You wouldn't get in trouble for it necessarily, however if you did decide to actually drive it could go two ways...

I've only had one eyesight failure at the start of a test, and generally we'd just tell them to go and get their eyes tested before they come back. A form would be filed that adds an exception to their licence stating they must wear glasses to drive. Interestingly this doesn't happen to those that turn up and read the plates with glasses, as we can't assume they can't read them without them.

If you do drive and have an accident you may be required to have an eyesight test after the accident, this is where you would be fined.

So as long as you definitely don't plan on driving you'll be fine.
Bexjw
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It might have changed but before I even got to the car to do my practical test, they did an eyesight test with a licence plate at the required distance. If you failed to read it, you failed the test before even getting in the car. In future, if you did decide to drive, you’d need to declare to DVLA and amend if you ever wanted to drive.

For ID purposes then, probably okay, although a bit of a morally grey area to lie on the forms.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (535)
51.1%
No (512)
48.9%

Watched Threads