Police shoot black men dead for Jaywalking

Watch
TCA2b
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by L i b)
There is genuine issues around racial discrimination in the United States.
Sure, but not just limited to the ones we hear about (misreported) in the MSM all the time...
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ANM775)
If a white person had just been crossing the street, not at the pelican crossing (or whatever they call it over there) they probably wouldn't have bothered him in the first place...
Yes, might as well just dismiss them as being "probably" racist despite there being nothing to actually suggest that.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What they did is still very bad..
In a way He did get shot for Jaywalking, as it was his "Jaywalking" that led to the confrontation, then they tried to arrest him, then the scuffle .. which lead to him allegedly grabbing the gun (probably not intending to kill them as he never fired it)

I mean can you imagine in the UK being confronted and police trying to arrest you because you didn't cross the road at the pelican crossing?
"Jay Walking" is such a r3tarded law
Whilst we might look at jay walking as a non-event in Britain in a fair few countries they do take it quite seriously. I remember getting pulled over by the plods in Ljubljana for it of all places - scared the **** out of me at the time :lol:
At any rate, whilst this one obviously went pear shaped and shooting the man was serious over kill its hard to fault the officers for doing their job in the first instance.. arresting people for committing crimes literally being their job. It might be a damn silly law to us (and most people for that matter) but as people like to say, the laws the law.

As an aside though, i'm not sure what his race has to do with this? I don't see any notation in the article showing that just because this man was a black this led to his being killed. His reaching for someones gun on the other hand being a spectacularly stupid thing to do and one guaranteed to get you in deep ****. As he unfortunately found out.
RJDG14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I'm very glad jaywalking is legal in the UK - it makes no sense to fine somebody for crossing the road at their own risk (although it may also make sense for the pedestrian to be liable if they're accidentally hit while doing so) and there have been some pretty bonkers cases of police brutality in America for minor offences such as this.

Interestingly jaywalking is officially illegal in the Republic of Ireland from what I've read, but people do it just like here, even when in the vincinity of a Garda officer and I haven't read one case of anybody getting in trouble, so the law clearly isn't enforced.
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
What they did is still very bad..
In a way He did get shot for Jaywalking, as it was his "Jaywalking" that led to the confrontation, then they tried to arrest him, then the scuffle .. which lead to him allegedly grabbing the gun (probably not intending to kill them as he never fired it)

I mean can you imagine in the UK being confronted and police trying to arrest you because you didn't cross the road at the pelican crossing?
"Jay Walking" is such a r3tarded law
It's not "******ed" if it helps prevent people being killed by crossing busy streets/boulevards, is it?
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by RJDG14)
I'm very glad jaywalking is legal in the UK - it makes no sense to fine somebody for crossing the road at their own risk (although it may also make sense for the pedestrian to be liable if they're accidentally hit while doing so) and there have been some pretty bonkers cases of police brutality in America for minor offences such as this.

Interestingly jaywalking is officially illegal in the Republic of Ireland from what I've read, but people do it just like here, even when in the vincinity of a Garda officer and I haven't read one case of anybody getting in trouble, so the law clearly isn't enforced.
Not only are you putting youself at risk, but you're putting others at risk especially crossing busy thoroughfares. What happens if the car or truck swerves out to avoid you and crashes into an oncoming car killing a whole family?

Astonishing how short-sighted some people are...

FYI: I'm not saying it should be illegal, because it should be fine to cross the road if there isn't any traffic and it's safe to do so, but if you walk out into traffic like a pillock, you should be fined at the very least.
Last edited by Occitanie; 1 day ago
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by Occitanie)
It's not "******ed" if it helps prevent people being killed by crossing busy streets/boulevards, is it?
The law is far too Nanny State
caravaggio2
Rep:
?
Report 40 minutes ago
Could that thread title be more wrong? 🙄
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 36 minutes ago
(Original post by caravaggio2)
Could that thread title be more wrong? 🙄

don't diss my thread titles. It got you all talking about it didn't it?
Then it was a good thread title
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (63)
12.6%
Virtual campus tours/open days (117)
23.4%
Live streaming events (45)
9%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (49)
9.8%
A uni comparison tool (115)
23%
An in-person event when available (111)
22.2%