Teigan182
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm wanting to start studying to teach FE. I already have a degree in Criminology and Sociology and I've been looking at the courses and I can't figure out the difference between the CERTED and the PGCE. I reached out to the university I'm looking at however they didn't respond. Can anyone help? Thank you
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Teigan182)
I'm wanting to start studying to teach FE. I already have a degree in Criminology and Sociology and I've been looking at the courses and I can't figure out the difference between the CERTED and the PGCE. I reached out to the university I'm looking at however they didn't respond. Can anyone help? Thank you
Sorry to hear the university did now respond.

EDIT: The below posts give more accurate details than I am able to offer.

However, this isn't my area of expertise so I'll tag in Get into Teaching who should be able to advise when they're next online.
Last edited by 04MR17; 1 week ago
bwilliams
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I assume you'd want to teach criminology and sociology. So, you'd be best with the PGCE. PGCE is a postgraduate qualification. CertEd is not postgraduate - you can do this with a Level 3 qualification, for example. It is only for Post-16 Education and training (more so training). It is not for higher education - this would be something like a PGCAP (postgraduate certificate in academic practice). Hope this helps.

Your employability will be much greater with PGCE as you are already a graduate with a degree.
Teigan182
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by bwilliams)
I assume you'd want to teach criminology and sociology. So, you'd be best with the PGCE. PGCE is a postgraduate qualification. CertEd is not postgraduate - you can do this with a Level 3 qualification, for example. It is only for Post-16 Education and training (more so training). It is not for higher education - this would be something like a PGCAP (postgraduate certificate in academic practice). Hope this helps.

Your employability will be much greater with PGCE as you are already a graduate with a degree.
Thank you!! I’m getting started with my application now
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Sorry to hear the university did now respond.
I think I'm right in saying that the CERTED is a slightly different qualification in that it also covers teaching within a Higher Education setting, whereas a FE specific PGCE will be exactly that - more specific.

However, this isn't my area of expertise so I'll tag in Get into Teaching who should be able to advise when they're next online.
Hello Teigan182

Click here for a useful link that explains what the CertEd qualification involves. Click here for further information about teaching in the FE sector.

You ought to have a look at your local FE colleges and check to see what there employment terms and conditions are, as they differ from one place to another, and what their essential and desirable recruitment criteria is, as unlike in compulsory education, one qualification will not fit all institutions.

Wishing you all the best, Jane
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.14%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.27%
Live streaming events (51)
8.72%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.4%
A uni comparison tool (136)
23.25%
An in-person event when available (130)
22.22%