feel like im afraid of everything

Watch
sunny225
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
ok so basically im 17 and often feel like im literally scared of doing so many things most teenagers love to do/look forward to - the idea of drinking alcohol terrifies me (even just a small amount, which I know would do me no harm), the thought of learning to drive freaks me out, I would prefer not to be home alone and I've only just been able to go to my local shop on my own without feeling really anxious before hand. I know all of these fears are irrational but I'm now worrying that when I leave home/go to uni I'll encounter even more things to be scared about and I was wondering if anyone had any advice/also feels like this?
Thanks!!
aorfaoefiaekjf
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
heyy, I get how you're feeling. I kind of used to feel like this about the driving and stuff but i try not to overthink it much. i havent started driving yet, im 17 too btw, but i just tried to develop a mentality where i shouldnt stress over something that hasnt even happened yet because thats just going to drain you out. i know this is hard and it isnt easy but speak to someone you trust about this who you know wont judge you so you can let out your feelings to someone because trust me it helps. when you find yourself over-worrying about these things just do something to calm you down i.e. focus on your breathing, count, or repeat something that is special to you (if you're religious or anything). Not sure if this helps but yeah good luck with everything
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sunny225)
ok so basically im 17 and often feel like im literally scared of doing so many things most teenagers love to do/look forward to - the idea of drinking alcohol terrifies me (even just a small amount, which I know would do me no harm), the thought of learning to drive freaks me out, I would prefer not to be home alone and I've only just been able to go to my local shop on my own without feeling really anxious before hand. I know all of these fears are irrational but I'm now worrying that when I leave home/go to uni I'll encounter even more things to be scared about and I was wondering if anyone had any advice/also feels like this?
Thanks!!
I know how you felt about driving, althout I was excited about alcohol hehe.

I used to watch hella car crashes (for fun) on youtube, so I got scared. But then I started to realise, watching those, that most of the crashes were caused by other drivers. So most accidents happens because of other people. Same thing, just apply it to life. Try your best at everything, and put 100% focus and commitment into it, and you should be fine. If anything goes wrong, it's just god/a higher power testing us.
missc_93
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sunny225)
Thanks!!
Hi OP. I experienced this when I was around 16-18. I'm older now and I can say I've managed to control General Anxiety, Social and Health Anxiety. At my lowest, I thought I never would. I can understand how hard it is day by day to cope with these feelings. I struggled alone for a long time until I ended up breaking down to a close relative about it all. It felt like a release after feeling alone with anxiety for so long! I then took steps to speak to my GP and got professional help. It was a little scary at first, opening up to someone you do not know, however it was the best thing I could of done, my life is so different now for the better and I have control over my anxiety. They give you the tools (e.g. counselling, medication, therapy) and you then start to see gradual changes in yourself and how you cope with everything. It's certainly not easy but be sure you are not on your own, when you feel ready, talk to someone and believe this is something you can manage and control. You've got this!
missc_93
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by missc_93)
Hi OP. I experienced this when I was around 16-18. I'm older now and I can say I've managed to control General Anxiety, Social and Health Anxiety. At my lowest, I thought I never would. I can understand how hard it is day by day to cope with these feelings. I struggled alone for a long time until I ended up breaking down to a close relative about it all. It felt like a release after feeling alone with anxiety for so long! I then took steps to speak to my GP and got professional help. It was a little scary at first, opening up to someone you do not know, however it was the best thing I could of done, my life is so different now for the better and I have control over my anxiety. They give you the tools (e.g. counselling, medication, therapy) and you then start to see gradual changes in yourself and how you cope with everything. It's certainly not easy but be sure you are not on your own, when you feel ready, talk to someone and believe this is something you can manage and control. You've got this!
Just one more thing, do not feel pressured to do things perceived as 'normal' for teenagers. It's hard in your teens when you feel like the odd one out but I advise you to do what you are comfortable with and focus on making yourself happy and controlling your anxiety. Not drinking etc doesn't make you any less fun etc. own your own individuality because you matter. Good luck
sunny225
Rep:
?
(Original post by aorfaoefiaekjf)
heyy, I get how you're feeling. I kind of used to feel like this about the driving and stuff but i try not to overthink it much. i havent started driving yet, im 17 too btw, but i just tried to develop a mentality where i shouldnt stress over something that hasnt even happened yet because thats just going to drain you out. i know this is hard and it isnt easy but speak to someone you trust about this who you know wont judge you so you can let out your feelings to someone because trust me it helps. when you find yourself over-worrying about these things just do something to calm you down i.e. focus on your breathing, count, or repeat something that is special to you (if you're religious or anything). Not sure if this helps but yeah good luck with everything
thanks for the advice! its nice to know someone else feels the same way
sunny225
Rep:
?
(Original post by missc_93)
Just one more thing, do not feel pressured to do things perceived as 'normal' for teenagers. It's hard in your teens when you feel like the odd one out but I advise you to do what you are comfortable with and focus on making yourself happy and controlling your anxiety. Not drinking etc doesn't make you any less fun etc. own your own individuality because you matter. Good luck
thanks for the advice - it feels nice to know im not alone in feeling like this and yes you're right about not feeling pressured - although im lucky enough to have a group of friends who don't mind if I don't want to do certain things and don't judge me for it
Last edited by sunny225; 1 week ago
sunny225
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wannabevetnurse)
I know how you felt about driving, althout I was excited about alcohol hehe.

I used to watch hella car crashes (for fun) on youtube, so I got scared. But then I started to realise, watching those, that most of the crashes were caused by other drivers. So most accidents happens because of other people. Same thing, just apply it to life. Try your best at everything, and put 100% focus and commitment into it, and you should be fine. If anything goes wrong, it's just god/a higher power testing us.
thanks for the advice!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (594)
49.38%
No (609)
50.62%

Watched Threads