frankieeeee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
For a budget of 5-6k on my first car what would you recommend, I would ideally like something that's just reliable and won't give me a load of issues. I like the look of a Renault Clio however from what I've heard they are not a reliable brand.
Thanks for reading
Joe Frazier
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by frankieeeee)
For a budget of 5-6k on my first car what would you recommend, I would ideally like something that's just reliable and won't give me a load of issues. I like the look of a Renault Clio however from what I've heard they are not a reliable brand.
Thanks for reading
Polos are good
amcb1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Thanks for reading
Ford Fiesta
Ford Focus
VW Golf (not 1.6 tdi because they are awful)
VW Polo (again, not 1.6 tdi, terrible car)
Toyota Yaris (v reliable)
Toyota Auris
Seat Ibiza (not 1.6 tdi)
Seat Leon (not 1.6 tdi)
Suzuki Swift

I'd just stay away from Renault, Peugeot, Citreon and Vauxhall.
Tubbsy_al
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Vw up, polo, golf,
Ford ka, fiesta, focus
Honda Civic,
Toyota Yaris
Mini
JOSH4598
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by amcb1)
I'd just stay away from Renault, Peugeot, Citreon and Vauxhall.
Vauxhalls are good on insurance though - despite the reputation of a Vauxhall Corsa driver insurance companies seem to insure them for a lot cheaper than Fiesta's or Polo's. Maybe that's just my experience but when I got quotes Vauxhall came out best and are cheapest to buy too.
MMtrapzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Thanks for reading
hey how about you get a Lamborghini urus (its on my profile pic) they are only 170000 pounds lol
TheYearNiner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by MMtrapzz)
hey how about you get a Lamborghini urus (its on my profile pic) they are only 170000 pounds lol
Will you be paying?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by JOSH4598)
Vauxhalls are good on insurance though - despite the reputation of a Vauxhall Corsa driver insurance companies seem to insure them for a lot cheaper than Fiesta's or Polo's. Maybe that's just my experience but when I got quotes Vauxhall came out best and are cheapest to buy too.
I found this too, my initial quotes for Corsas (Corsi? :confused:) were significantly better than for Fietas/Clios.

Downsides, it's a Vauxhall and that's a huuuuuuge downside to me
MMtrapzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by TheYearNiner)
Will you be paying?
naaaah
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by amcb1)
not 1.6 tdi because they are awful
Go on, I'll take the bait...

Why's that then?
amcb1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Go on, I'll take the bait...

Why's that then?
1.6 tdis are notorious for injector problems. And that's not a cheap problem to fix.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by amcb1)
1.6 tdis are notorious for injector problems. And that's not a cheap problem to fix.
Would you like to be a bit more specific about which engine family you're referring to?

Simply saying "1.6 TDI" is utterly nonsensical.
amcb1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Would you like to be a bit more specific about which engine family you're referring to?

Simply saying "1.6 TDI" is utterly nonsensical.
It's not nonsensical at all. It is a massive problem with VW engines. Surely if you know your cars, you will know this. It's fairly common knowledge that the 1.6 tdis are troublesome. Talk to your mechanic, he'll keep you there to Christmas talking about them.
They are poorly designed, the injector electrical insulation breaks down on them and they can't be reconditioned.

If you're going to get a VW, or a car that uses a VW engine, ensure it's a petrol or the 1.4 and 2.0 TDIs seem to give no problems.

If it's a newer car, within the last 4 years, there should hopefully not be any issues. I presume VW have learned from their mistakes.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by amcb1)
It's not nonsensical at all. It is a massive problem with VW engines. Surely if you know your cars, you will know this. It's fairly common knowledge that the 1.6 tdis are troublesome. Talk to your mechanic, he'll keep you there to Christmas talking about them.
They are poorly designed, the injector electrical insulation breaks down on them and they can't be reconditioned.

If you're going to get a VW, or a car that uses a VW engine, ensure it's a petrol or the 1.4 and 2.0 TDIs seem to give no problems.

If it's a newer car, within the last 4 years, there should hopefully not be any issues. I presume VW have learned from their mistakes.
Again, are you going to specify which engine family you're talking about? If not, that is a nonsensical statement.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 hours ago
Thanks for reading
Hyundai i10
Hyundai i20
Kia picanto
Nissan Micra
rayshow053
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 hours ago
Nissans and Mazdas are excellent reliable cars, but they rust like a tin can in the surf!
Pugs are arguably a bit less reliable, but are cheap and usually have good bodywork on the older models. Mazda CX5 was my first car but one day I decided I wanted to Sell my car today and get and get a german one
Germans are pretty good, but expensive, and in most cases overpriced, in my opinion anyway.

Toyota Corolla?
Mazda Demio?
RayField
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 hours ago
Thanks for reading
For a first car I'd go with something cheap like Volkswagen golf.
Nick6501
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 30 minutes ago
Golf or Focus
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (499)
51.39%
No (472)
48.61%

Watched Threads