The Student Room Group

Is 25% plagiarism report that bad

I just checked my assignment and the similarity score reads 25%, should I submit my essay like that or should I at least try to reduce the plagiarism score?
Reply 1
Original post by Graf
I just checked my assignment and the similarity score reads 25%, should I submit my essay like that or should I at least try to reduce the plagiarism score?

In my college, we are advised to have a Turnitin report of 20% or lower when it comes to coursework, so I would advise you to lower the score.
Reply 2
Original post by RiRi16
In my college, we are advised to have a Turnitin report of 20% or lower when it comes to coursework, so I would advise you to lower the score.

Thanks RIRI16
Reply 3
Original post by Graf

You’ll be fine
Original post by Peace24
You’ll be fine

Or not. Turnitin just finds similarity, its not a plagiarism checker, that take a real person. So that 20+ % might be perfectly fine if it’s clearly well identified and referenced quotes, or an instant penalty if it’s some blocks of copy-paste text from Wikipedia with a couple of word swaps.
I definitely had higher than 20% a couple of times but nothing happened. As long as you properly acknowledge and reference all sources, you'll be fine.
Reply 6
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Or not. Turnitin just finds similarity, its not a plagiarism checker, that take a real person. So that 20+ % might be perfectly fine if it’s clearly well identified and referenced quotes, or an instant penalty if it’s some blocks of copy-paste text from Wikipedia with a couple of word swaps.

Thanks i got it...i'll check on that

I agree with you. Quite often for students there are obstacles in writing texts, especially complex academic research and the use of the power of citation Turnitin. In order to circumvent most of the strict rules of this style, I advise you to go to a site https://fixgerald.com/blog/how-to-beat-turnitin where you can read quite useful and specific information about it.
(edited 2 years ago)
I wrote a simple research essay on the Greek Fates. I was absolutely certain that I'd done my due diligence on quotation marks and proper citations. I got a yellow 25% score. I freaked out!! After doing some reading, I conclude that it has something to do with the narrowness of the subject of the paper. I'm still worried, though.

Oh I know about turn it in I got 25% for words like if and it but etc.
Reply 10
It's relative. It could be 25% in a 70 pages and 12k words report, and in that case i believe Turnitin would give it a green colour. On the other hand, if your report is 2k words, then yeah, you definitely need to reduce it.

Quick Reply

Latest