Elliot.N
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi there! I'm in my final year as a psychology undergraduate and getting ready to apply for an MSc in Clinical Mental Health. I am debating whether to do the course full time or part time. At the moment I do not have a job but I am thinking that maybe I will be able to get one in the 2 years I'm studying the MSc. One argument in favour of studying part-time is that I need quite some time in order to complete my assignments as I want to be able to submit my best work. I also think that maybe finishing it in a year would be better in terms of job prospects but I am worried that the stress will get to me. What are your experiences or how do you see this situation?
Arden University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Elliot.N)
Hi there! I'm in my final year as a psychology undergraduate and getting ready to apply for an MSc in Clinical Mental Health. I am debating whether to do the course full time or part time. At the moment I do not have a job but I am thinking that maybe I will be able to get one in the 2 years I'm studying the MSc. One argument in favour of studying part-time is that I need quite some time in order to complete my assignments as I want to be able to submit my best work. I also think that maybe finishing it in a year would be better in terms of job prospects but I am worried that the stress will get to me. What are your experiences or how do you see this situation?
Hey Elliot.N,

I am currently doing a part time online masters in Psychology. I would not have been able to afford dropping out of work completely to study, and although it takes a bit longer than doing one full time it means I can fit it around my job and study at a pace that suits me. I would have struggled to learn everything properly in a year, during last year's lockdown in the UK I studied two modules together due to being furloughed and all I did was study all the time - which was pretty draining! I have 6 modules and one dissertation across the course I am doing, I aim to complete one module per study period of which their are four study periods a year. My dissertation is being completed over two study periods because trying to fit in all the background work plus write up in 12 weeks is a bit of a tall order for me!

If you can, in the current climate find a job then part time is a good option, it will help you financially and give you a break from studying, however during the climate the job hunt may be harder so it may be worth knuckling down and doing one full time.

Hope that helps a bit :-)

Abigail
Arden University Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.94%
Virtual campus tours/open days (111)
23.17%
Live streaming events (44)
9.19%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (46)
9.6%
A uni comparison tool (109)
22.76%
An in-person event when available (107)
22.34%