The Student Room Group

Can't decide between computer science and engineering degree

I'm studying maths, physics and comp sci at A-level, and although I've always had an interest in computer science, I've recently become interested in mechanical or aeronautical engineering.

The trouble is that I have always hated any sort of practical/hands-on work, such as working with tools in workshop, because I am quite clumsy and it makes my head spin. This is a huge part of engineering. I am instead interested in learning the complex physics in these degrees, which I have started to prefer over the concepts in A-level computer science. When I look at the engineering degrees at universities, I always see group and individual projects, which I would not be able to do. The last experience I had of this was GCSE D&T which was torture. However all the other modules are topics that I would love to study.

As for CS, I am not a huge fan of programming, and although I have enjoyed learning some of the concepts in A-level computer, I find mechanics much more interesting. I also enjoy the maths involved in CS (proof,logical) much less than the maths involved in engineering (Mechanics)

I'm torn between these two degrees as both have great career prospects and parts of them interest me very much. I also have nothing to write on my PS for engineering.
(edited 3 years ago)
looks like the benefits of computer science outweigh the benefits of engineering to me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending