eve27279
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I’m currently in year 12 deciding on which subject(s) I want to study at university. Currently my top choice is English lit & Spanish at Oxford, however I found a course at Manchester Met Uni called English lit, drama studies and creative writing. I feel like this could be an option for me, because I love literature and creative writing, but I’m also interested in Spanish. Manchester met offers evening lessons for languages, but my question is: would I be missing out on a great opportunity to study Spanish at degree level if I opted to just take it as an evening class instead? My subject areas of interest focus mainly on English lit & Spanish, but having found so many English courses available, I’m feeling overwhelmed.
karamel2003
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by eve27279)
I’m currently in year 12 deciding on which subject(s) I want to study at university. Currently my top choice is English lit & Spanish at Oxford, however I found a course at Manchester Met Uni called English lit, drama studies and creative writing. I feel like this could be an option for me, because I love literature and creative writing, but I’m also interested in Spanish. Manchester met offers evening lessons for languages, but my question is: would I be missing out on a great opportunity to study Spanish at degree level if I opted to just take it as an evening class instead? My subject areas of interest focus mainly on English lit & Spanish, but having found so many English courses available, I’m feeling overwhelmed.
I think you should consider job prospects, in which case Manchester met may not be your best option as it isn't particularly reputable to employers (this is how my school says to think about it, I don't actually know whether where your degree is from affects much). If you're aiming for Oxford, it's quite a jump. On the other hand, you do have five choices so if you want to put one of them as Manchester met I don't think it'll do much harm and you'll have a long time to deliberate anyway.

You are in year 12 so you have absolutely ages, some people don't submit their choices until January of year 13 (if you do apply to Oxford, you will have to submit your application in October of year 13, though, so it is something to think about a little bit).

Attend some open days and see what takes your fancy, you may just hate the vibe from certain places anyway.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by eve27279)
would I be missing out on a great opportunity to study Spanish at degree level if I opted to just take it as an evening class instead?
Only you can decide this.
How badly do you want to do higher level study in Spanish ? Or do you just want to keep your language skills up to a sensible level?

Have a look at Liberal Arts / Combined honours courses - these combine a variety of Humanities/Arts subjects and usually include a year abroad.
Bristol : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/study/.../liberal-arts/
Newcastle : https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/y001/
eve27279
Rep:
?
(Original post by karamel2003)
I think you should consider job prospects, in which case Manchester met may not be your best option as it isn't particularly reputable to employers (this is how my school says to think about it, I don't actually know whether where your degree is from affects much). If you're aiming for Oxford, it's quite a jump. On the other hand, you do have five choices so if you want to put one of them as Manchester met I don't think it'll do much harm and you'll have a long time to deliberate anyway.

You are in year 12 so you have absolutely ages, some people don't submit their choices until January of year 13 (if you do apply to Oxford, you will have to submit your application in October of year 13, though, so it is something to think about a little bit).

Attend some open days and see what takes your fancy, you may just hate the vibe from certain places anyway.
This is so helpful thank you!
eve27279
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Only you can decide this.
How badly do you want to do higher level study in Spanish ? Or do you just want to keep your language skills up to a sensible level?

Have a look at Liberal Arts / Combined honours courses - these combine a variety of Humanities/Arts subjects and usually include a year abroad.
Bristol : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/study/.../liberal-arts/
Newcastle : https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/y001/
Thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (78)
11.91%
Virtual campus tours/open days (159)
24.27%
Live streaming events (52)
7.94%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (59)
9.01%
A uni comparison tool (153)
23.36%
An in-person event when available (154)
23.51%