Do people look at the Grade of your GCSE or the GCSE you pick?

Watch this thread
Anonymous48
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I need desperate help. I have to pick my GCSE's by this week and I just wanted to get some advice about this. My main question is whether people (Universities and Employers) look at the grade of your GCSE or what GCSE pick. Thanks
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous48)
Hi, I need desperate help. I have to pick my GCSE's by this week and I just wanted to get some advice about this. My main question is whether people (Universities and Employers) look at the grade of your GCSE or what GCSE pick. Thanks
Depends on the course - for Medicine at uni some universities are "GCSE-heavy" e.g. Cardiff and Oxford and only applicants with straight A*s are advised to apply for them.

However there are still plenty of "non-GCSE-heavy" med schools, but they will still have GCSE minimum entry requirements e.g. Grade 6 in English, Maths and Sciences.

No employers will ever look at your GCSEs unless maybe you're a GCSE teacher and there's a banter session about which teacher got the best GCSEs.
Anonymous48
Rep:
(Original post by ecolier)
Depends on the course - for Medicine at uni some universities are "GCSE-heavy" e.g. Cardiff and Oxford and only applicants with straight A*s are advised to apply for them.

However there are still plenty of "non-GCSE-heavy" med schools, but they will still have GCSE minimum entry requirements e.g. Grade 6 in English, Maths and Sciences.

No employers will ever look at your GCSEs unless maybe you're a GCSE teacher and there's a banter session about which teacher got the best GCSEs.
Ok Thanks, So they don't check which subject you choose just the grades you got in the GCSE? btw What GCSE did you pick?
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Ok Thanks, So they don't check which subject you choose just the grades you got in the GCSE?
Well you must have the core subjects. Some med schools will also ask for at least X number of subjects.

btw What GCSE did you pick?
Double sciences (yes, don't laugh at the back)
ICT (stop laughing)
English
English Literature
Maths
French
History
D&T

Really should have done triple sciences, I don't know what's got into me because I ended up with (the equivalent of) A*A* in A2 Biology and Chemistry and A* in AS Physics.
linedpaper
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
They'll look at the grades over the GCSE, but that's no excuse to purposely choose easy ones.
If you want to do medicine the grades will have a big weighting, other subjects obviously you need to achieve their requirements usually in core subjects.

And GCSE's could be looked at if there was nothing else setting a candidate apart I guess.
Anonymous48
Rep:
Well you must have the core subjects. Some med schools will also ask for at least X number of subjects.

Double sciences (yes, don't laugh at the back)
ICT (stop laughing)
English
English Literature
Maths
French
History
D&T

Really should have done triple sciences, I don't know what's got into me because I ended up with (the equivalent of) A*A* in A2 Biology and Chemistry and A* in AS Physics.
Wow... I was thinking of doing History or French for my 4th subject. Which one do you recommend since you have done both?
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Wow... I was thinking of doing History or French for my 4th subject. Which one do you recommend since you have done both?
For A-Levels? Don't bother doing a 4th subject because it's not worth the additional benefit.

Therefore I do not recommend doing either, unless you must do a fourth subject for whatever reason then in that case pick the one we're more likely to get an A / A* in.
Anonymous48
Rep:
For A-Levels? Don't bother doing a 4th subject because it's not worth the additional benefit.

Therefore I do not recommend doing either, unless you must do a fourth subject for whatever reason then in that case pick the one we're more likely to get an A / A* in.
No, For GCSE. I believe you have to pick 4 subjects for GCSE
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
No, For GCSE. I believe you have to pick 4 subjects for GCSE
Oh right, if you can pick "Medicine through Time" in GCSE History then it's worth doing it (if you wanted to do Medicine).

Otherwise, I would still pick the one that you're most likely to get an A* in.
Anonymous48
Rep:
(Original post by linedpaper)
They'll look at the grades over the GCSE, but that's no excuse to purposely choose easy ones.
If you want to do medicine the grades will have a big weighting, other subjects obviously you need to achieve their requirements usually in core subjects.

And GCSE's could be looked at if there was nothing else setting a candidate apart I guess.
Yeah, I do want to do medicine. I have to choose 4 GCSE's and i have thought of Triple Science, Computer Science and Geography. However, I do not know what to choose for my fourth subject. I was thinking of either History or French. Which one do you think is best for medicine?
Anonymous48
Rep:
Oh right, if you can pick "Medicine through Time" in GCSE History then it's worth doing it (if you wanted to do Medicine).

Otherwise, I would still pick the one that you're most likely to get an A* in.
Yeah, my school does 'Medicine through time'. Do you think i should do History or French? What grades did you get in them?
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yeah, my school does 'Medicine through time'. Do you think i should do History or French? What grades did you get in them?
It was years ago, I think grade As for both of them.

As I said, do the one that you think you're going to get better grades in.
username4449440
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
simple answer both mainly grades tho
Anonymous48
Rep:
(Original post by the_pharaoh)
simple answer both mainly grades tho
Ok, thanks
Citysuse
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
I got 99997777 and a l2 distinction star which is equivalent to an 8.5 and I don’t know if these are enough for med school.

The 9s are in combined science maths and geography.

I am doing bio maths and Chem a level
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Citysuse)
I got 99997777 and a l2 distinction star which is equivalent to an 8.5 and I don’t know if these are enough for med school.

The 9s are in combined science maths and geography.

I am doing bio maths and Chem a level
Make a new thread - this is wildly off topic
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (8)
32%
Take a gap year (6)
24%
Resit my exams (6)
24%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (3)
12%
I don't know yet (1)
4%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4%

Watched Threads