Boris Johnson wants to give vaccine to 3rd world countries

Watch
Chathelp
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Am I being selfish or is this a stupid idea? I mean there's people in the UK who haven't even been vaccinated and Boris Johnson wants to send vaccines out to third world countries. I mean I pay taxes for this so I should be prioritised just like any other taxpayer. What do you guys think?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Chathelp)
Am I being selfish or is this a stupid idea? I mean there's people in the UK who haven't even been vaccinated and Boris Johnson wants to send vaccines out to third world countries. I mean I pay taxes for this so I should be prioritised just like any other taxpayer. What do you guys think?
We have ordered 440 million vaccines. What do you think we should do with them? Vaccinate all the country's hamsters?
Chathelp
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
We have ordered 440 million vaccines. What do you think we should do with them? Vaccinate all the country's hamsters?
Store them. Those people aint my problem. 🤷*♀️ and if we got 440 million wheres mine and my families?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
it is a splendid idea to vaccinate people wherever they live.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Store them. Those people aint my problem. 🤷*♀️ and if we got 440 million wheres mine and my families?
They haven't been made yet.They have a short shelf life and unless the virus is driven back worldwide, some vaccine resitent version will develop somewhere.
Starship Trooper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I agree with the OP in that I think the government should not concern itself with foreign countries healthcare.

Although if we have too many I'm not against giving them away although it begs the question why have we ordered so many?
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
I agree with the OP in that I think the government should not concern itself with foreign countries healthcare.

Although if we have too many I'm not against giving them away although it begs the question why have we ordered so many?
Because we didn't know which would work and which would be shown to be the first to work.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Because we didn't know which would work and which would be shown to be the first to work.
Oh so it's multiple types of vaccine, that's fair enough then. I don't see why we shouldn't give it away if we have a lot of spares which will go to waste. 👍
JOSH4598
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh so it's multiple types of vaccine, that's fair enough then. I don't see why we shouldn't give it away if we have a lot of spares which will go to waste. 👍
I agree if they're spare, although surely we should sell them rather than give them away? Even if it's at a reduced price. At least it would go some way in offsetting the astronomical government expenditure in the last year.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JOSH4598)
I agree if they're spare, although surely we should sell them rather than give them away? Even if it's at a reduced price. At least it would go some way in offsetting the astronomical government expenditure in the last year.
Even better 👍
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
How much tax do you pay a year?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Sell them at a massive profit or help Australasia as our brethren.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Some less democratic but technologically advanced countries are already suppling covid vaccine to grateful developing countries... Its a soft power deal. If we want 3rd world governments buying our British radars and missiles in the future rather than those from China or Russia we better get the vaccine flowing.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
Some less democratic but technologically advanced countries are already suppling covid vaccine to grateful developing countries... Its a soft power deal. If we want 3rd world governments buying our British radars and missiles in the future rather than those from China or Russia we better get the vaccine flowing.
No this is just nepotism/ corruption of the UK government bailing out arms contractors. People should buy UK company products because of their quality not because the government bribes them.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No this is just nepotism/ corruption of the UK government bailing out arms contractors. People should buy UK company products because of their quality not because the government bribes them.
There are other good reasons to be respected by foreign governments.

But making sure we get our share of arms sales is always up there.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Sell them at a massive profit or help Australasia as our brethren.
How to lose influence in the world when Russia and China are happy to give or sell at rock bottom
prices.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

There are a few massive benefits to helping out other countries.

1 - soft power, Its a pretty cheap way to gain influence abroad.

but more importantly:

2 - if other countries can't control the virus, it puts us at harm. The more circulation worldwide the more chance for mutated strains that harm our vaccinated populations resistance. Helping other countries minimise the spread, directly helps us keep things under control.

3 - the quick we can get the global situation under control, the quicker the global economy, and ours, will rebound. We need other countries functioning so that we can trade with them, sell to them, work with them etc, and keep our economy ticking over. Even if we were 100% back to normal, if our trading partner's aren't, our economy won't recover fully.

4 - Holidays+travel. The quicker the spread is minimised, the quicker we can all go abroad again for work, for family reasons, and for tourism. How many of these poorer countries are holiday destinations that millions of us go to each year?

I'm sure there are more, but that's 4 good things we get in return for helping vaccinate poorer countries.

There is a reason why China and Russia are throwing vaccines at anyone and everyone. And why the EU wishses and is making gestures to do the same (but can't yet, due to a lack of vaccines). And why Biden is making more international noises than Trump did. They all understand the benefits of helping other countries. Its not just benevolence, they get huge rewards for themselves.
Last edited by fallen_acorns; 2 weeks ago
64Lightbulbs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
if one country gets vaccinated before all the others (by buying excess at high prices) then it mutates in the unvaccinated countries and no one's vaccines work and we have to make a new one to combat a stronger virus.
Last edited by 64Lightbulbs; 2 weeks ago
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The only vaccines being proposed to be given to the poor world are the surplus ones. I fully agree, the government should never put the lives of strangers ahead of its own citizens (especially when theyve paid for it) but if these are surplus to requirements then why not? Although i'd rather see them being sold at cost to countries that can happily afford to (Nigeria et al. spring to mind) or countries that it isnt in our interest to help. After all, we dont have enough vaccines to give the world so they'd have to be prioritised. Why would we want to give a precious resource to people in, say, CAR when we could give them to a relatively friendly government in say SA or Chile?
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
There are a few massive benefits to helping out other countries.

1 - soft power, Its a pretty cheap way to gain influence abroad.

but more importantly:

2 - if other countries can't control the virus, it puts us at harm. The more circulation worldwide the more chance for mutated strains that harm our vaccinated populations resistance. Helping other countries minimise the spread, directly helps us keep things under control.

3 - the quick we can get the global situation under control, the quicker the global economy, and ours, will rebound. We need other countries functioning so that we can trade with them, sell to them, work with them etc, and keep our economy ticking over. Even if we were 100% back to normal, if our trading partner's aren't, our economy won't recover fully.

4 - Holidays+travel. The quicker the spread is minimised, the quicker we can all go abroad again for work, for family reasons, and for tourism. How many of these poorer countries are holiday destinations that millions of us go to each year?

I'm sure there are more, but that's 4 good things we get in return for helping vaccinate poorer countries.

There is a reason why China and Russia are throwing vaccines at anyone and everyone. And why the EU wishses and is making gestures to do the same (but can't yet, due to a lack of vaccines). And why Biden is making more international noises than Trump did. They all understand the benefits of helping other countries. Its not just benevolence, they get huge rewards for themselves.

1- I would rather the UK not have 'influence'. I'm in favour of 'splendid isolationism' .If we had an empire again then things would be different but that is not a path most want to go down esp liberal internationalists. We shouldn't be a world policeman or a world doctor. We need to get out if this white saviour mentality even if we got gratitude (we don't)

2- Then we should close the borders and actually do something about immigration. Excellent.

3- I do not support our government bailing out failed corporations or countries unless it is VITAL in which case it should be nationalised. In short basically colonialism which China is essentially doing in Africa.

Don't get me started on the 'Global Economy'... all I can say is Good!

4- They can holiday in the UK then and do us some good

Well I certainly agree with you that the Clinton's and Bidens have all done very well for themselves out of this liberal racketeering 🤣🤣🤣🤣

As for China and Russia...they're basically imperialists and do not suffer from the same squeamishness that we do. They are also (,China especially) much more United than the west (observe the thousands of troops in Washington) they are also unashamedly nationalistic whereas the west would rather talk about 'inclusivity' and Is embarrassed or ashamed by much of their history. They have the Motherland we have ... Uh the ECHR

In short if we were the British Empire and were a united, proud and self sustaining people it would be one thing to play these sorts of games but as a anchorless, bitterly divided and indebted society ashamed of its past empire it's another thing entirely- As I'm sure Biden will discover.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (44)
22.92%
Unhappy (54)
28.13%
Conflicted (94)
48.96%

Watched Threads