maddis0nw
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by turtles142)
Q: explain christian teachings about Jesus' incarnation [8]
im not sure what the different teachings are - can someone help pls
This is the Son of God vs the son of God (sometimes called Son of Man) debate I believe. So, Catholics and Evangelicals believe that Jesus was the literal Son of God (hence the capital S) whilst Protestants and more liberal-minded Christians (i.e., Process Theologians) believe that Jesus was the son of God (no capital). By this I mean that Jesus was simply a follower of God and an important man with strong connections with God, like a messiah chosen by God, but not literally His Son if that makes sense.

An argument for the Son of God could be that Jesus resurrected Lazarus from the dead. Surely a regular human would not have the ability to do this, and so, Jesus had to have been of divine nature. An argument for the son of God is that Jesus referred to himself as 'Son of Man' in all four Gospels (for example, in Luke 9:58, in reply to a man who asks to follow him, Jesus says: 'Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man has nowhere to lay his head.' However, you could argue against this and say that Jesus most likely would have avoided making explicit claims to be divine due to the persecution by the Romans at the time. Process Theologians would most likely argue that regardless of whether or not Jesus was actually divine, Christians should just follow the Bible and its teachings, instead of focusing on unimportant small details.

Sorry this is kinda long but I hope that's what this question is on about !
pinkypink725
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Christian teachings on the incarnation are that Jesus is God in the flesh and is both fully human and fully divine (this is decide in the Nicene creed) although this hasn't always been the accepted teaching as in the past some have said that he is fully human but the best amongst men, fully god.
google the Chalcedonian Definition. the Nicene creed and Arius on the state of Christ for various beliefs about the incarnation through the years. possibly look into talking about Transubstantiation in holy communion for Catholics
turtles142
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by maddis0nw)
This is the Son of God vs the son of God (sometimes called Son of Man) debate I believe. So, Catholics and Evangelicals believe that Jesus was the literal Son of God (hence the capital S) whilst Protestants and more liberal-minded Christians (i.e., Process Theologians) believe that Jesus was the son of God (no capital). By this I mean that Jesus was simply a follower of God and an important man with strong connections with God, like a messiah chosen by God, but not literally His Son if that makes sense.

An argument for the Son of God could be that Jesus resurrected Lazarus from the dead. Surely a regular human would not have the ability to do this, and so, Jesus had to have been of divine nature. An argument for the son of God is that Jesus referred to himself as 'Son of Man' in all four Gospels (for example, in Luke 9:58, in reply to a man who asks to follow him, Jesus says: 'Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man has nowhere to lay his head.' However, you could argue against this and say that Jesus most likely would have avoided making explicit claims to be divine due to the persecution by the Romans at the time. Process Theologians would most likely argue that regardless of whether or not Jesus was actually divine, Christians should just follow the Bible and its teachings, instead of focusing on unimportant small details.

Sorry this is kinda long but I hope that's what this question is on about !
thanks that is really helpful xo
maddis0nw
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by turtles142)
thanks that is really helpful xo
no problem, good luck with the question
turtles142
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by pinkypink725)
Christian teachings on the incarnation are that Jesus is God in the flesh and is both fully human and fully divine (this is decide in the Nicene creed) although this hasn't always been the accepted teaching as in the past some have said that he is fully human but the best amongst men, fully god.
google the Chalcedonian Definition. the Nicene creed and Arius on the state of Christ for various beliefs about the incarnation through the years. possibly look into talking about Transubstantiation in holy communion for Catholics
thank u !!!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Refer to the Scriptures and the Bible in your answer. Use the PEE technique, point, explain and give a good quality relevant real life example as a source of evidence to defend your perspective fully as well. To lend your entire coursework essay a bit more weight and substance consider using some mighty quotes taken from the Scriptures etc. Make a list of supporting quotes that you encounter in the Bible using one specific bold colour like red or blue for example here.
Number each of your paragraphs in order or use letters or bullet points. You can even include stars as part of your religious essay in order to show the reader where a new paragraph is starting and so on. Make sure to use black font only when typing your essay up on a laptop however. Pick out the words that particularly stir up a whirlpool of strong emotions inside of you. Write them all down on a slip of paper or in a black notebook.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads