Testicle examination.

Watch
Bango
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi fellas. Yesterday I had testicle examination. Cause I found a lump on one of my testicle so decided to get cheked(thanks god everything is good) and I never been so embarassed in my life, I didn't know where to put my eyes 😂 So I came to the GP appointment and there was young female medical student and the doctor, so I asked doctor to do examination by him self, he said ok. So I came around corner, dropped my pants and he started examine my testicles, and bam that student came in to do observing while he doing examination. Never been so embarassed 🤣 so just want to ask is it normal to have medical student observing while doctor doing testicle examination, and they not even ask if it's alright that I will be observed by female medical student so it was quite rude from them side. Thanks!

Sorry for my english, it's my second language.
Last edited by Bango; 1 week ago
sendnukes
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
it's normal. but they should have asked if you were comfortable with a medical student observing. it would have been perfectly fine if you let the doctor know that you were not comfortable with a med student around.
Bexjw
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is normal for medical students to be present but it should always be declared and asked if the patient consents to their presence during a consultation.

I’ve been shadowing a GP before and had people decline to have me present for various reasons. It’s completely okay.

You should have been asked and if you’d said you only wanted the GP present, they shouldn’t really have been in. It could have been a simple mistake or mishearing but next time, make it clear that you’d like to see the GP without a medical student present. They won’t take offence to it.
hamz.at
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
oh lord i cant imagine the awkwardness. The doctor should have told the med student that you wanted to be examined alone. Ive had situations like that before too not like yours tho.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bango)
Hi fellas. Yesterday I had testicle examination. Cause I found a lump on one of my testicle so decided to get cheked(thanks god everything is good) and I never been so embarassed in my life, I didn't know where to put my eyes 😂 So I came to the GP appointment and there was young female medical student and the doctor, so I asked doctor to do examination by him self, he said ok. So I came around corner, dropped my pants and he started examine my testicles, and bam that student came in to do observing while he doing examination. Never been so embarassed 🤣 so just want to ask is it normal to have medical student observing while doctor doing testicle examination, and they not even ask if it's alright that I will be observed by female medical student so it was quite rude from them side. Thanks!

Sorry for my english, it's my second language.
I remember about a decade ago I had surgery and they asked if med students could observe, so I think it’s pretty normal.

That said for such a scenario I would not agree, id be feeling awkward enough having a doctor give me a ball examination wouldn’t want to compound it.

But this is how they learn...
Bango
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm just angry and dissapointed, because they not even asked me if I'm alright to be observed by medical student and female aswell...
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
It's normal to have a chaperone for such examinations (usually a nurse but a medical student is also fine), plus the medical student needs to learn. You should have just said you didn't want her there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (623)
48.86%
No (652)
51.14%

Watched Threads