How is marketing and management as a degree what are the advantages and disadvantages

Watch this thread
thisisraniaaa
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i might be interested in studying marketing I just want advice from people with experience with the course
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by thisisraniaaa)
i might be interested in studying marketing I just want advice from people with experience with the course
Hi! I hope you're doing good. I'm a second year business and management student at surrey and I really like it!

At surrey, every business management student does the same modules in first year. However in second year you can choose half of your modules (2 per semester) and your compulsory modules will be in line with your chosen pathway, which would be Marketing for you. As I'm taking that pathway, I can say I'm doing lots of interesting modules like Consumer Behaviour, Marketing Communications, International Fashion Marketing or Entrepreneurship.

You do have to take accounting, but it's good to have a base in finance, accounting etc for placement and for when you get a graduate job. Or even if you're thinking of starting your own company someday.

The campus is lovely. I don't know if it's important for you, but I definitely wanted to go to a campus-based uni with lots of greenery and Surrey ticks the box for that too

If you want to know more about the course, click here.

Hope that helped! Any questions, just ask.

Elena.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hey thisisraniaaa

I am currently a masters degree student at the University of Hull studying Advertising and Marketing having studied a BA in Marketing for my undergraduate here too. Similarly to other universities during first year of a Business Management/Marketing or Business Management and Marketing degree you will study a variety of modules including Accounting and Finance, Human Resource Management, Business Environments and also Marketing. These modules allow you to gain knowledge in many areas of a business and also helps you to understand what your interests are. I was not originally planning to study Marketing, but changed my mind after the module in first year as i loved it so much!

My undergraduate degree in Marketing has been very good, i have really enjoyed planning campaigns, learning about human behaviours and understanding why Marketing is so important to a business. I also got the opportunity to learn about Artificial Intelligence, Supply Chain and Big Data while studying the course. I personally think there are so many advantages to doing a Marketing degree. Particularly with University of Hull we had many opportunities to gain placements/internships with companies if they enjoyed our campaigns, study overseas and do live projects which helped us to gain real experience. Another advantage for me was having mostly coursework over exams as personally I am not a huge fan of exams I enjoyed Marketing so much I have gone on to study a masters degree in Advertising and Marketing and I am still learning new things everyday! If you have any more questions or want any more advice please feel free to let me know I would love to talk some more

Megan
University of Hull Student Rep
thisisraniaaa
Rep:
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hey thisisraniaaa

I am currently a masters degree student at the University of Hull studying Advertising and Marketing having studied a BA in Marketing for my undergraduate here too. Similarly to other universities during first year of a Business Management/Marketing or Business Management and Marketing degree you will study a variety of modules including Accounting and Finance, Human Resource Management, Business Environments and also Marketing. These modules allow you to gain knowledge in many areas of a business and also helps you to understand what your interests are. I was not originally planning to study Marketing, but changed my mind after the module in first year as i loved it so much!

My undergraduate degree in Marketing has been very good, i have really enjoyed planning campaigns, learning about human behaviours and understanding why Marketing is so important to a business. I also got the opportunity to learn about Artificial Intelligence, Supply Chain and Big Data while studying the course. I personally think there are so many advantages to doing a Marketing degree. Particularly with University of Hull we had many opportunities to gain placements/internships with companies if they enjoyed our campaigns, study overseas and do live projects which helped us to gain real experience. Another advantage for me was having mostly coursework over exams as personally I am not a huge fan of exams I enjoyed Marketing so much I have gone on to study a masters degree in Advertising and Marketing and I am still learning new things everyday! If you have any more questions or want any more advice please feel free to let me know I would love to talk some more

Megan
Thank You, this was a great insight about how the course is. I wanted to ask two different questions if that's okay. First I was wondering what did you study beforehand? ( a levels or btecs) and second I wanted to ask how is the pay with marketing degrees, for example if I were to study law or medicine lets say, I would have to work a lot more to have a good pay. I was wondering how it is like for marketing. I am interested in marketing as a course as I am studying level 3 business, I have a unit on marketing and how marketing influences and operates in businesses, which is why I really am intrigered. However, with that I wanna know how would looking for jobs, pays, etc be.

Thank you
Uni of Hull Students
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank You, this was a great insight about how the course is. I wanted to ask two different questions if that's okay. First I was wondering what did you study beforehand? ( a levels or btecs) and second I wanted to ask how is the pay with marketing degrees, for example if I were to study law or medicine lets say, I would have to work a lot more to have a good pay. I was wondering how it is like for marketing. I am interested in marketing as a course as I am studying level 3 business, I have a unit on marketing and how marketing influences and operates in businesses, which is why I really am intrigered. However, with that I wanna know how would looking for jobs, pays, etc be.

Thank you
Hi!

Of course, so during college I studied BTEC Business Level 3 Diploma and Subsidiary Diploma, English and Sociology. I wasn't sure what I wanted to study at university so I took these as they were interesting. Many universities don't have specific requirements, although some will. For Hull it was just required to have 112 points from any subjects, so I could take subjects I enjoyed and knew I would do well in. With marketing jobs it really all depends on the company and role, for example one of my course friends has gone on to work as a Marketing Executive right from college and earns a very high wage considering it is a graduate role. I would advise to have a look on job sites and search for things such as Digital Executive, Marketing Executive, Marketing Consultant etc. Lots of these roles for smaller businesses may be posted on sites such as Indeed, however for big companies they usually post on Linkedin or on their own company website. You can certainly be very well paid in a Marketing role, since Marketing is one of the most important departments of a business. I also find that Marketing jobs are quite available, I often come across a lot of roles here and there so its very easy to apply for many roles.

I also think marketing roles can be so fun and cool - which is one of the reasons I chose to study in this area. I think planning and be a part of campaigns can be very interesting and fun. It may be worth seeking a local business for some experience before heading to university, this way you could see which part of Marketing you are more interested in and gauge the salary you would be looking at. I know that may be too difficult right now due to the current situation so it's fine if you don't have time, you will certainly have opportunities to gain experience at university!

Megan
thisisraniaaa
Rep:
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hi!

Of course, so during college I studied BTEC Business Level 3 Diploma and Subsidiary Diploma, English and Sociology. I wasn't sure what I wanted to study at university so I took these as they were interesting. Many universities don't have specific requirements, although some will. For Hull it was just required to have 112 points from any subjects, so I could take subjects I enjoyed and knew I would do well in. With marketing jobs it really all depends on the company and role, for example one of my course friends has gone on to work as a Marketing Executive right from college and earns a very high wage considering it is a graduate role. I would advise to have a look on job sites and search for things such as Digital Executive, Marketing Executive, Marketing Consultant etc. Lots of these roles for smaller businesses may be posted on sites such as Indeed, however for big companies they usually post on Linkedin or on their own company website. You can certainly be very well paid in a Marketing role, since Marketing is one of the most important departments of a business. I also find that Marketing jobs are quite available, I often come across a lot of roles here and there so its very easy to apply for many roles.

I also think marketing roles can be so fun and cool - which is one of the reasons I chose to study in this area. I think planning and be a part of campaigns can be very interesting and fun. It may be worth seeking a local business for some experience before heading to university, this way you could see which part of Marketing you are more interested in and gauge the salary you would be looking at. I know that may be too difficult right now due to the current situation so it's fine if you don't have time, you will certainly have opportunities to gain experience at university!

Megan
thank you this really helped
beaumarieburton
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep)
Hi! I hope you're doing good. I'm a second year business and management student at surrey and I really like it!

At surrey, every business management student does the same modules in first year. However in second year you can choose half of your modules (2 per semester) and your compulsory modules will be in line with your chosen pathway, which would be Marketing for you. As I'm taking that pathway, I can say I'm doing lots of interesting modules like Consumer Behaviour, Marketing Communications, International Fashion Marketing or Entrepreneurship.

You do have to take accounting, but it's good to have a base in finance, accounting etc for placement and for when you get a graduate job. Or even if you're thinking of starting your own company someday.

The campus is lovely. I don't know if it's important for you, but I definitely wanted to go to a campus-based uni with lots of greenery and Surrey ticks the box for that too

If you want to know more about the course, click here.

Hope that helped! Any questions, just ask.

Elena.
Hi im in year 12 and just looking and getting a feel for different courses to maybe study at uni, I'm looking at taking a business course but struggling to differentiate them as there are so many as a-levels just seem like a jump from GCSE, as the content is very similar but just In a slight greater depth- are uni courses the same? are they similar content to a-levels just going in further detail or are they very different?

I would much appreciate an insight,
thanks Beau
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi thisisraniaaa,

Great to hear you are interested in studying Marketing at University. I am a Marketing Management Student at Lancaster University and really enjoying my studies! Marketing Management is just one of the marketing degrees at Lancaster, you can check out the others here. As Lancaster has the longest established Marketing department in the UK, all of the degrees are well rounded covering digital marketing as well as brand strategy, consumer behaviour, social media marketing, strategic marketing, market research etc. That is just a couple of examples of the modules I have been lucky enough to study.

I have really loved the balance of assignments, from reports, presentations, individual essays, exams and group work, there has really been something to suit every skill set but also challenge you .

I chose to do a placement year and this is something I would really recommend doing if you are able to. It is a great way to get a valuable year worth of work experience in a company where you can apply theory from University. The Lancaster University Management School (LUMS) Careers Team were a great support in applying for placements. You can find out more about their services here if you are interested!

Please let me know if you would like to know any more about my experience of studying a marketing degree, or about marketing at Lancaster!

Rebecca
Final Year BSc Hons Marketing Management Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (93)
20.09%
The paper was reasonable (177)
38.23%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.7%
It was TERRIBLE (74)
15.98%

Watched Threads