Can you apply for a different course in clearing?

Watch
something_orphic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
This is just something im considering. Do you need a personal statement or anything? Is it just based off of grades? Will they need convincing that you are passionate about the course?
Last edited by something_orphic; 1 week ago
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
UCAS Guide to Clearing https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/c...-you-need-know
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by something_orphic)
Do you need a personal statement or anything? Is it just based off of grades? Will they need convincing that you are passionate about the course?
No. Yes. No.

In the vast majority of cases they will just be looking at your grades. It’s quite normal to apply for a different course as your plans may have changed by that point.
something_orphic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
No. Yes. No.

In the vast majority of cases they will just be looking at your grades. It’s quite normal to apply for a different course as your plans may have changed by that point.
Thank you Yeah i found out about another course and realised i meet the entry requirements and now im questioning everything.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i found out about another course and realised i meet the entry requirements and now im questioning everything.
Just remember that that course may not be in Clearing.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is just something im considering. Do you need a personal statement or anything? Is it just based off of grades? Will they need convincing that you are passionate about the course?
It is quite common in Clearing for people to be offered places on alternative courses if they meet the grade requirements. As an example, my daughter went into Clearing for Psychology but got offered a range of other courses by Clearing staff including Law and Economics.

No one in Clearing cared about her personal statement at all but maybe it is important for some vocational courses like nursing say, to show that you really are committed to that course.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi something_orphic,
You absolutely can at the majority of universities, I went through clearing having changed my mind completely about my course over summer and was offered my current University place on results day based solely on my grades- best decision I ever made. If you do decide to take this route I'd recommend getting in contact with the unis that you're considering earlier and asking what their clearing process as some you can register your interest early, whereas others you just ring on the day.
Best of luck with your decision!
Lizzy, Student Rep
something_orphic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hi something_orphic,
You absolutely can at the majority of universities, I went through clearing having changed my mind completely about my course over summer and was offered my current University place on results day based solely on my grades- best decision I ever made. If you do decide to take this route I'd recommend getting in contact with the unis that you're considering earlier and asking what their clearing process as some you can register your interest early, whereas others you just ring on the day.
Best of luck with your decision!
Lizzy, Student Rep
Thank you thats really helpful
johnnyjones7
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I can apply for astrophysics at clearing?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by johnnyjones7)
If you have the right grades in the right subjects then yes
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
While you might not need a new PS it's worth drafting one or at least putting together some bullet points. Being able to articulate why you want to study a new subject is a worthwhile exercise (if nothing else it can help you understand why you've changed your mind).

If you've changed your mind there's no need to wait until Clearing. Extra will be opening very soon and a huge number of courses are still open for applications
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by johnnyjones7)
IF there is an Astrophysics course in Clearing, and you meet the grade requirements, yes.
nurese34992
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PQ)
While you might not need a new PS it's worth drafting one or at least putting together some bullet points. Being able to articulate why you want to study a new subject is a worthwhile exercise (if nothing else it can help you understand why you've changed your mind).

If you've changed your mind there's no need to wait until Clearing. Extra will be opening very soon and a huge number of courses are still open for applications
For ucas extra do we need to send off another personal statement.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nurese34992)
It is up to the university you apply to (same as with clearing)
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Unlikely - a course open in Extra is rarely that fussy.
nurese34992
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
does ucas extra and Lucas clearing give out unconditional offers?
dacb2f2dd4
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's worth noting that at some institutions, for some courses, students interested in obtaining a place through clearing may be transferred to discuss their interest with an admissions tutor - this could be a way of gauging and assessing your interest in and suitability for the course.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
does ucas extra and Lucas clearing give out unconditional offers?
Universities can only make unconditional offers in clearing. That’s why you can’t use clearing until after you have all your results.

Extra allows both conditional and unconditional offers - its up to the university to decide
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (649)
48.36%
No (693)
51.64%

Watched Threads