How does alcohol percentage work ?? Confused beginner

Watch
Hannahjojo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I want to drink a blossom hill drink which is a small bottle that is 187 ml which contains 12.5% alcohol volume so if I drink two of those small bottles does that mean I’ve drank 25% alcohol in total . I don’t know how this really works .
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
No. You'll have drunk 12.5% of a larger volume.
Hannahjojo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
No. You'll have drunk 12.5% of a larger volume.
So if I drink 4 bottles of 12.5% alcohol , does that mean I still drank 12.5% alcohol??
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Hannahjojo)
So if I drink 4 bottles of 12.5% alcohol , does that mean I still drank 12.5% alcohol??
Yes.
JMo03
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
12.5% is how much of the entire thing is alcohol. Say a bottle is one litre, for easy numbers, 12.5% alcohol means 125ml of that L is alcohol. That means four litres is 500ml of alcohol
JMo03
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
One bottle of that stuff (if it's 187ml and 12.5%) has 23.4 ish ml of ethanol
Segments
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I have always been curious about this myself. I am glad you asked this, as it may help.
JMo03
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Segments)
I have always been curious about this myself. I am glad you asked this, as it may help.
Honestly, being able to do APV (alcohol percentage volume) sums, especially when drunk, is really useful. Everyone has a good level of how drunk is the right amount. On a full stomach, six beers will get me into the sweet spot so it's good to be able to work out what that is in spirits if I don't have beer
Segments
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Jmoore12)
Honestly, being able to do APV (alcohol percentage volume) sums, especially when drunk, is really useful. Everyone has a good level of how drunk is the right amount. On a full stomach, six beers will get me into the sweet spot so it's good to be able to work out what that is in spirits if I don't have beer
Maths is not my preferred choice of education, therefore it isn't my strongest point. Tbh, I only stop drinking if I am tired or have a stomache ache, so it could be a number of beers to get me to that stage.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I want to drink a blossom hill drink which is a small bottle that is 187 ml which contains 12.5% alcohol volume so if I drink two of those small bottles does that mean I’ve drank 25% alcohol in total . I don’t know how this really works .
Alcohol content which is what is on the label, this represents the potency i.e. how strong a drink is, its the percentage of alcohol in the bottle/glass; but to find out the amount of alcohol you do the percentage x Volume.

But their are all kinds of factors like tolerance, have you eaten that day, mixing of alcohol types, duration of drinking, body type that will all impact how drunk you get in addition to the amount of alcohol.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Here's something useful to remember:

Alcohol units = volume in litres multiplied by percentage. So 25 ml of whisky at 40% alcohol is 1 unit exactly because 40 * 0.025 = 1.
So two of those drinks is 374 ml. At 12.5% alcohol then that's 0.374 * 12.5 ~= 4.7 units. 1 unit corresponds to 10 ml of ethanol.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (26)
5.69%
Uncertainty around my education (52)
11.38%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (55)
12.04%
Lack of purpose or motivation (60)
13.13%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (24)
5.25%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (20)
4.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (46)
10.07%
Financial worries (28)
6.13%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (19)
4.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (30)
6.56%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
3.06%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (45)
9.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (38)
8.32%

Watched Threads