Disadvantaged pupils at top universities !!!

Watch
Jessica emily 04
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am considered a “disadvantaged pupil”

Will this affect the likelihood of me getting into universities like UCL or even Oxford/Cambridge?

I also am required to take welsh bacc at A level which I think will put me at more of a disadvantage when considering applying to Russell Group universities. Can anyone help me out? Thank you
Josh_J
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jessica emily 04)

Will this affect the likelihood of me getting into universities like UCL or even Oxford/Cambridge?

I also am required to take welsh bacc at A level which I think will put me at more of a disadvantage when considering applying to Russell Group universities. Can anyone help me out? Thank you
disadvantaged in terms of meeting contextual points will put you at an advantage instead of disadvantage.
As for your second point Im not sure but as long as the uni you are applying to excepts those qualifications then you should not be at a disadvantage
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Being from a disadvantaged background means you might get a reduced offer from unis that are not Oxford/Cambridge. It also means that you may be eligible for adjustment from Cambridge, should you get to the interview stage but be initially rejected.

Are you taking the Welsh bacc alongside three other subjects or is it one of your three?
nutz99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

The only way you would be at a disadvantage is if you wanted to use the Welsh Bacc instead of a 3rd A Level. If you are doing 3 A Levels anyway and find the Welsh Bacc is impacting on them then just spend as little time on it as you can. My son did this and in year 13 the teacher basically said if you don’t want to do Welsh Bacc then just don’t turn up for lessons.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Some universities accept Welsh Bac as a qualification - thats worth checking.
Jessica emily 04
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Being from a disadvantaged background means you might get a reduced offer from unis that are not Oxford/Cambridge. It also means that you may be eligible for adjustment from Cambridge, should you get to the interview stage but be initially rejected.

Are you taking the Welsh bacc alongside three other subjects or is it one of your three?
I’m taking welsh bacc alongside 3 other a levels
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
check Bristol. They accept Welsh Bac and have good routes for offers for disadvantaged students. I think Cardiff do also.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...ns/#welsh-bacc
Jessica emily 04
Rep:
?

I’m taking welsh bacc biology maths and history.

What is the adjustment from Cambridge that you mentioned?
Jessica emily 04
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
check Bristol. They accept Welsh Bac and have good routes for offers for disadvantaged students. I think Cardiff do also.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...ns/#welsh-bacc
Thank you! I haven’t considered Bristol but I’ve heard great things about it
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you! I haven’t considered Bristol but I’ve heard great things about it
In what ways are you considered disadvantaged and what courses are you interested in? There may be specific schemes you can look at.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m taking welsh bacc biology maths and history.

What is the adjustment from Cambridge that you mentioned?
Oh then that's completely fine, you're already taking 3 A-levels, doing something extra isn't going to disadvantage you.

In case you don't know, Adjustment is a process in which if you exceed the conditions of your offer (say, it was AAB and you got A*AA), on results day you can switch to a different course - a bit like Clearing, except you can look for unis in Adjustment without losing out on the place you already have.

Cambridge recently started accepting students via Adjustment, but only students who were in their 'Widening participation criteria' and who reached the interview stage but didn't get an offer are eligible. So if you had applied, you got an interview but didn't get an offer, they'd contact you some time after to tell you that you could apply via adjustment if you got the grades. Their entry requirements wouldn't change though.
casabonita
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
another uni that gives out good contextual offers is durham - i have a lot of friends who got offers of AAB (some people got even lower) for courses that are usually A*AA, so definitely look into which unis do this too
i think warwick do contextual offers too
DNARNAking
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

UCL offers contextual offers and Cambridge offers contextual leniancy. You can study medicine at UCL with AAB compared to A*A*A. Cambridge will give you a lower requirement in GCSE's and BMAT. So in reality your at an advantage. Imperial also offers med with AAA all unis offer leniancy except oxford.
Jessica emily 04
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
In what ways are you considered disadvantaged and what courses are you interested in? There may be specific schemes you can look at.
Due to where I live, household income and my current school I am considered disadvantaged and I am interested in doing law at university
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Due to where I live, household income and my current school I am considered disadvantaged and I am interested in doing law at university
Cool - so check for a list of universities which will give you more favourable offers in your circumstances.
Zain_Sheikh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey Jessica, I studied PPE at Oxford from 2015-8. What are you applying for?
Databi_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It depends which year you apply for because grade boundaries were reduced from covid for a lot of places. I've got a contextual offer of BBC for Durham in September, the original requirements were AAB but reduced due to covid and further because I'm disadvantaged
Jessica emily 04
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Zain_Sheikh)
Hey Jessica, I studied PPE at Oxford from 2015-8. What are you applying for?
Oxford is my dream university! I am applying for law but I am super scared about getting rejected as it’s obviously one of the best in the world. I have excellent grades but I know that not many people actually get in even if they have good grades. Do you have any advice?
Jessica emily 04
Rep:
?
(Original post by Databi_)
It depends which year you apply for because grade boundaries were reduced from covid for a lot of places. I've got a contextual offer of BBC for Durham in September, the original requirements were AAB but reduced due to covid and further because I'm disadvantaged
I’m in year 11 so I will be applying in 2023 (a lot of people have told me this is very soon to be thinking about applying to uni but I want to be prepared)
Jessica emily 04
Rep:
?
(Original post by DNARNAking)
UCL offers contextual offers and Cambridge offers contextual leniancy. You can study medicine at UCL with AAB compared to A*A*A. Cambridge will give you a lower requirement in GCSE's and BMAT. So in reality your at an advantage. Imperial also offers med with AAA all unis offer leniancy except oxford.
(Original post by casabonita)
another uni that gives out good contextual offers is durham - i have a lot of friends who got offers of AAB (some people got even lower) for courses that are usually A*AA, so definitely look into which unis do this too
i think warwick do contextual offers too
Oh then that's completely fine, you're already taking 3 A-levels, doing something extra isn't going to disadvantage you.

In case you don't know, Adjustment is a process in which if you exceed the conditions of your offer (say, it was AAB and you got A*AA), on results day you can switch to a different course - a bit like Clearing, except you can look for unis in Adjustment without losing out on the place you already have.

Cambridge recently started accepting students via Adjustment, but only students who were in their 'Widening participation criteria' and who reached the interview stage but didn't get an offer are eligible. So if you had applied, you got an interview but didn't get an offer, they'd contact you some time after to tell you that you could apply via adjustment if you got the grades. Their entry requirements wouldn't change though.
Thank you this is so helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (74)
11.78%
Virtual campus tours/open days (153)
24.36%
Live streaming events (51)
8.12%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (57)
9.08%
A uni comparison tool (146)
23.25%
An in-person event when available (147)
23.41%