The Student Room Group

laptop for A-levels/sixth form

Is a laptop for sixth form helpful? I am currently in year 11 and I was wondering whether a laptop would be useful. I am going to take politics, economics, geography and Spanish which are mostly essay subjects and I'm also planning on doing an EPQ. I have a desktop at home and there are school computers in the library but they are very slow so it might be better to just have my own laptop to use during lessons and free periods? I will definitely get one for uni but should I just get one now for a-levels instead of waiting?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by isabel.b
Is a laptop for sixth form helpful? I am currently in year 11 and I was wondering whether a laptop would be useful. I am going to take politics, economics, geography and Spanish which are mostly essay subjects and I'm also planning on doing an EPQ. I have a desktop at home and there are school computers in the library but they are very slow so it might be better to just have my own laptop? I will definitely get one for uni but should I just get one now for a-levels instead of waiting?

heya! im in year 11 BUT previously in my skl we had to get tablets/ipads/laptops IE a device that we would bring to skl with us and do work on it etc. for things like these the best thing to do is make a pros and cons list. ill do an eg from my experience.

PROS
- doesn't waste paper
- all in one place
-can get used to the system

CONS
- gave me migraines
- IT technicalities
- quite heavy depending on what u get

Hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Donnialy
heya! im in year 11 BUT previously in my skl we had to get tablets/ipads/laptops IE a device that we would bring to skl with us and do work on it etc. for things like these the best thing to do is make a pros and cons list. ill do an eg from my experience.

PROS
- doesn't waste paper
- all in one place
-can get used to the system

CONS
- gave me migraines
- IT technicalities
- quite heavy depending on what u get

Hope that helps! :smile:

thanks! yes i like the fact that you don't waste paper and have everything in one place. i think that since i have a desktop at home i could start year 12 without one and then see if i need one depending on how many people use one and what i do in lessons. anyways if i need one i could always ask one for christmas in year 12 ;D
Good idea ! Glad I could help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest