The Student Room Group

Politics A Level

Is politics a respected A level? Was thinking of choosing either History, Economics and Politics or History, English Lit and Politics, would either of those three be respected by universities?
Any answers would be appreciated!
I would go for History, Economics and English Lit
Reply 2
Original post by Caz1234567
I would go for History, Economics and English Lit

That was my original idea, but politics is something I'm really passionate about and something I think I'd work hard at and genuinely enjoy, hence why I'm hesitant to drop the idea. (If that makes sense haha)
Original post by c.o.r.a
That was my original idea, but politics is something I'm really passionate about and something I think I'd work hard at and genuinely enjoy, hence why I'm hesitant to drop the idea. (If that makes sense haha)

Maybe you could do it at uni? They don't require politics a level. And the other options are a really good mix that covers a wide range and would showcase your abilities :smile:
I'd say English Lit is respected more than Politics, but both are essay subjects and History is a pretty respected subject in itself.
With your A levels I'm assuming that you're aiming for a more humanity based degree, like History, Politics, Law, International relations etc

History, Politics and English lit is a really good combo. I know a few people at sixth form doing it, but you may be interested in a PPE degree where economics is good to have- but really you need maths for those courses.

I take both English lit and Politics. I find Politics more laid back and pretty easy. English lit is harder and I've found it very different to the GCSE. You say you'd genuinely enjoy politics and are passionate about it: that's all you need and a great thing to have. If you naturally understand political ideas and are already well informed with the news then you're gold: you'll have no problem with case studies and facts about what's happening.

You could always do an EPQ (if it's offered) in the subject you don't take.
(edited 3 years ago)
As long as you have the required A-levels for your degree and the predicted grades, it won’t matter what else you take! Do what you enjoy. I got interviewed at Cambridge for politics and I didn’t even take it at a A level!
Reply 6
Original post by linedpaper
I'd say English Lit is respected more than Politics, but both are essay subjects and History is a pretty respected subject in itself.
With your A levels I'm assuming that you're aiming for a more humanity based degree, like History, Politics, Law, International relations etc

History, Politics and English lit is a really good combo. I know a few people at sixth form doing it, but you may be interested in a PPE degree where economics is good to have- but really you need maths for those courses.

I take both English lit and Politics. I find Politics more laid back and pretty easy. English lit is hard and I've found it very different to the GCSE. You say you'd genuinely enjoy politics and are passionate about it: that's all you need and a great thing to have. If you naturally understand political ideas and are already well informed with the news then you're gold: you'll have no problem with case studies and facts about what's happening.

You could always do an EPQ (if it's offered) in the subject you don't take.

This is super helpful, thank you! Was considering doing an EPQ, as my school does offer them, so this is quite encouraging.
Reply 7
Original post by thaneofross
As long as you have the required A-levels for your degree and the predicted grades, it won’t matter what else you take! Do what you enjoy. I got interviewed at Cambridge for politics and I didn’t even take it at a A level!

Ok, thank you! And congrats on getting an interview!

Quick Reply

Latest