Increasing calories for more protein?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've been eating 1600cals (-500 deficit) and getting about 75g of protein on a good day, probably usually get like 60g most days though (1.6x60kg=96g protein recommended for me).
If I made my daily calories 1750 I'd be able to get in 100g of protein. Should I partially sacrifice my deficit to significantly increase my protein (& probably decrease how much I think about food!)? I'm trying to gain some muscle and lose fat.
Josh_J
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1) protein intake should be around a gram per pound of bodyweight for muscle gain, especially as it seems like you are at a caloric deficit
2) how is your weight loss like? In the average week of your diet how much weight do you lose
From there I can give you some advice
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Josh_J)
1) protein intake should be around a gram per pound of bodyweight for muscle gain, especially as it seems like you are at a caloric deficit
2) how is your weight loss like? In the average week of your diet how much weight do you lose
From there I can give you some advice
Oh damn, so I need a lot more protein, idk if it matters but i am female.
I lose around 0.7-0.9kg per week.
Josh_J
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Oh damn, so I need a lot more protein, idk if it matters but i am female.
I lose around 0.7-0.9kg per week.
That figure is relative to your body weight and to the best of my knowledge gender shouldnt matter too much. That figure is to help you be able to maintain muscle as when cutting people tend to lose muscle and having high protein + doing some sort of resistance training or bodyweight exercise can help you not only keep the muscle you have but gain more. Not only that but high protein diets are usually easier to stick too. Basically protein has the highest thermic effect out of any macro nutrient which in very simple terms means that you it keeps your fuller and more satisfied for longer compared to the same amount of calories of carbs/fats.

That being said it is not absolutely essential to have that much and I understand that it may be difficult to fit that much into a diet with big calorie restrictions. 100 grams of protein seems like a good figure and is around 0.75g/lb of body weight for your weight. This is still very good and tbh the figure I gave you was the standard for proffesional body builders and idk what ur fitness goals are but you may not need as much i suggested. Unless you want to have the most muscular physique possible within your genetic limit, more than likely 0.75g/lb would be perfectly fine and help with your goals as the difference between what you have now and 100 grams would be more beneficial for you than trying to go from 0.75g/lb to 1g/lb as this jump gives more of a minor benefit. hope that makes sense.

So to answer your original question I would recommend the jump as it will A) make it easier to stick to your diet and B) help you lose fat AND gain muscle

Also your rate of weight loss is good but could be better. I feel like doing what you suggested and increasing your protein intake to 100 grams could help your weight loss goals. Reason I am saying this is that if I were you Id aim to lose weight slightly slower. At max 0.6kg a week. As a general rule of thumb losing more than 1% of your body weight a week is too fast and 90% of people do this and imo it is the single biggest reason why most people struggle with weight loss - they want to rush into it too quickly which is fine in the first few weeks but then eventually they will become very unsatisfied with the diet, binge and the cycle repeats. Tbh you have done better than most because your rate of weight loss is slightly higher than ideal but is still WAY better than most ppl who want to lose like 3 kg + a week. REMEMBER: slow consistent efforts over a long period of time will ALWAYS give better results. Hence, increasing your protein intake would help you as it would mean increasing calories and thus slowing rate of weight loss a little bit.

So looking forward if I were you id

1) increase protein intake to 100 grams
2) monitor weight loss (weekly as daily changes tend to be inaccurate) and adjust calories to lose around 0.6 kg
3) Add some resistance/bodyweight training to preserve and gain lean muscle

One other important note on the weight loss: If you lose weight too fast this could also cause you to lose muscle. The 1% of body weight figure specifically helps someone like you who wants to gain muscle and lose fat as fast weight loss results in you losing some muscle along with the fat but slow weight loss helps you target fat specifically.

Hope this helps and good luck

Edit: try incorporating protein powder (for shakes), egg whites and lean 5% ground beef. These are low calorie high protein food sources.
Last edited by Josh_J; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Josh_J)
That figure is relative to your body weight and to the best of my knowledge gender shouldnt matter too much. That figure is to help you be able to maintain muscle as when cutting people tend to lose muscle and having high protein + doing some sort of resistance training or bodyweight exercise can help you not only keep the muscle you have but gain more. Not only that but high protein diets are usually easier to stick too. Basically protein has the highest thermic effect out of any macro nutrient which in very simple terms means that you it keeps your fuller and more satisfied for longer compared to the same amount of calories of carbs/fats.

That being said it is not absolutely essential to have that much and I understand that it may be difficult to fit that much into a diet with big calorie restrictions. 100 grams of protein seems like a good figure and is around 0.75g/lb of body weight for your weight. This is still very good and tbh the figure I gave you was the standard for proffesional body builders and idk what ur fitness goals are but you may not need as much i suggested. Unless you want to have the most muscular physique possible within your genetic limit, more than likely 0.75g/lb would be perfectly fine and help with your goals as the difference between what you have now and 100 grams would be more beneficial for you than trying to go from 0.75g/lb to 1g/lb as this jump gives more of a minor benefit. hope that makes sense.

So to answer your original question I would recommend the jump as it will A) make it easier to stick to your diet and B) help you lose fat AND gain muscle

Also your rate of weight loss is good but could be better. I feel like doing what you suggested and increasing your protein intake to 100 grams could help your weight loss goals. Reason I am saying this is that if I were you Id aim to lose weight slightly slower. At max 0.6kg a week. As a general rule of thumb losing more than 1% of your body weight a week is too fast and 90% of people do this and imo it is the single biggest reason why most people struggle with weight loss - they want to rush into it too quickly which is fine in the first few weeks but then eventually they will become very unsatisfied with the diet, binge and the cycle repeats. Tbh you have done better than most because your rate of weight loss is slightly higher than ideal but is still WAY better than most ppl who want to lose like 3 kg + a week. REMEMBER: slow consistent efforts over a long period of time will ALWAYS give better results. Hence, increasing your protein intake would help you as it would mean increasing calories and thus slowing rate of weight loss a little bit.

So looking forward if I were you id

1) increase protein intake to 100 grams
2) monitor weight loss (weekly as daily changes tend to be inaccurate) and adjust calories to lose around 0.6 kg
3) Add some resistance/bodyweight training to preserve and gain lean muscle

One other important note on the weight loss: If you lose weight too fast this could also cause you to lose muscle. The 1% of body weight figure specifically helps someone like you who wants to gain muscle and lose fat as fast weight loss results in you losing some muscle along with the fat but slow weight loss helps you target fat specifically.

Hope this helps and good luck

Edit: try incorporating protein powder (for shakes), egg whites and lean 5% ground beef. These are low calorie high protein food sources.
wow! thank you so so much for all this!! I've been losing weight for a few months and I feel myself beginning to develop more unhealthy habits (e.g wanting to restrict even more) so I wanted to nip it in the bud!!
I'll try to do what you suggested and i totally agree that slower weight loss is better (mindset is always my issues, logically i know this but emotionally i want to see a 5kg loss in a week haha jk lol!!)
I've been incorporating some resistance training using what i have and once gyms are open again I'm considering getting a trainer and really focusing on that as i currently just don't have the resources.
if you have any high protein recipes/meal/snack ideas I'm all ears
Josh_J
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No problem glad it helps!
Id say eat what you like but just find ways of adding more protein for example my mums african and cooks rice dishes so Id season the ground beef, make it taste good and add it with my rice. I also eat this with chicken breasts or sometimes regular chicken (although chicken breasts are healthier and higher in protein) This forms my main meals and I eat it everyday since my mums such a great cook!

That being said having variety is also important so I try and vary my breakfasts and snacks.
On youtube search "anabolic french toast" its a relatively low cal meal with tons of protein and tastes GREAT. Also try Protein Pancakes , Protein waffles, protein brownies (protein X food etc) Essentially these incorporate whey protein powder to add some taste and protein whilst also reducing cals. If you continue along this line I feel like you could find dieting quite enjoyable and there are so many different way of finding alternatives to otherwise non - diet foods such as the ones I have mentioned. A lot of people quit their diets because they feel like they are confined to boring foods like bland chicken breasts and broccoli etc but in reality there is so much variety that can be had and tbh as long as you stick to your calorie goal you can eat ANYTHING including chocolate and fried chicken and still lose weight (although this tends not to work as these are too calorie dense and you cant eat enough to fill you up)

I have also recently tried peanut butter and jam sandwhich alternative which incorporates "PB Fit" (search it on amazon) it is essentially a peanut butter substitute at a fraction of the calories of regular peanut butter. TBH it tastes great however not as good as the original of course.

Another one of my favourites are protein ice cream. Its extremley simple: Blend 100gr of ice, 30 gr of protein powder (i like strawberry flavoured), 200 gr of frozen strawberries, half a teaspoon of xanthan/guar gum - ( can find this at asdas/sainsburys/tesco), around 3 tablepoons of splenda sweetner (vary to taste and better than sugar cuz less cals) and finally 200 gr of milk. and voila! A MASSIVE serving of strawberry icecream that comes to around 300 calories and a load of protein - if you ever thought you had problems feeling full you wont after this trust me! Im 6ft 80kg and I can barely stomach it lol. Oh and it tastes great - of course not as good as regular icecream but you are getting way more for way less cals.

The idea here is to make dieting as fun and filling as possible whilst still sticking to your calorie goals so experiment and see what you like! If you do this you are way more likely to stick to your goals. I will link some good fitness youtubers for you to refer to for advice recipes. They are male but this shouldnt matter as their advice on weight loss, diets building muscle apply irrespective of gender.

https://www.youtube.com/user/gregdoucette ( more of diet advice/ weight loss/ mucle building etc // has a lot of other content tho so search specifically for his weight loss ones they are great!)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO9...GgJl-Ria7257EA (more of recipe ideas)

Be wary though. There is a lot of BS on yt for fitness advice these are 2 guys i trust and think offer good content. There are a few other good ones but these are my main guys. Good luck!

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCER...SptUEU4wZ2vJvw (more weight loss training)
Last edited by Josh_J; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (623)
48.86%
No (652)
51.14%

Watched Threads