The Student Room Group

Social Work or Mental Health Nursing(British Army defence at BCU)

I am struggling to decide which career path and uni subject i want to take i am torn between social work (4 yr course at york or edinburgh) or mental health nursing(with tje army as a student soldier).
Wondering if any social workers or army mental health nurses can give me information on their day to day life,how university was,how they managed a work life balnace,their salary,and pros plus cons.
I would love information on life as a social worker and the uni expericne plus coat of uni.And the negetives to army mental health jurse student soldier as i.can only find the dista ce from relatives and loved ones ,and 4yrs reauored service (which is fair for a free degree).What is life like at BCU defence and teaining while at uni
How do you handle studying at uni and what are the other responsibilities while at uni for MHN with the army.
How can i get fit for the army?Is the debt of social work at uni worth it?
Sorry if this is jumbled cant decide and im a bit uncertain about eveything.I am not biased i just am seeking more info on social work.
Katie x
TIA
#mentalhealthnurse #socialworker #beitisharmy #student soldier #university #mental health #healthcare
Hey! I can’t be much help but I’m also joining the army this year as an adult nurse 21/22. My mum was a nurse and a midwife for the army as she had the time of her life and was incredibly glad she did it. I am doing the BCU route hopefully as well if I pass all the assessments. Definitely get in touch with your local army centre qnd they’ll be able to help start the process off.
Reply 2
Thank you so much!!Goodluck.
I hope to do the BCU route could you tell me anything about the assessments required.
Original post by kvrstudent
Thank you so much!!Goodluck.
I hope to do the BCU route could you tell me anything about the assessments required.

If you go onto the nursing page for the army it will tell you the fitness requirements and all to do with training. Phase 1 is called your basic training down in Pirbright where you train to be a soldier and then Phase 2 is your university route. So for a student nurse it’s three years at BCU x
If you are thinking of going or want a chat add my Instagram _scarlettltaylorx
Reply 4
I would encourage you to really consider the culture, perhaps better defined as institutional culture, of those 2 very distinct career paths. To me, they are chalk and cheese.

You've mentioned distance, being away from family as a factor to consider with the Armed Forces path. You've also cited things like pay and work life balance for both which are standard considerations.

I have 7 years experience in the Armed Forces, three of which as a Combat Medical Technician in a Territorial Army field hospital unit. I was only in the junior ranks and so i cannot give you any advice on your direct opportunity. However, my experiences were mainly extremely negative.

Its not worth elaborating upon, other to say you should consider the cultural factors, the environment of these careers and their different training regimes, pressures, structure, expectations and not just terms and conditions.
Hi, does anyone know if you have to live in BCU halls when you're a student army nurse? Or do you have the option to live in nearby private housing? Thanks
Original post by lh_norton
Hi, does anyone know if you have to live in BCU halls when you're a student army nurse? Or do you have the option to live in nearby private housing? Thanks

You live in BCU halls for the first year and then private housing x
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by scarletttaylor1
You live in BCU halls for the first year and then private housing x

Thank you!
I'm 30 and married so was worried about being away for 3 years.
Can you live in private housing for the first year if you want or is that not allowed?
Do you know if you would be allowed off campus evenings and weekends if I wanted to visit my husband?
Thanks for your help x
Thank you!
I'm 30 and married so was worried about being away for 3 years.
Can you live in private housing for the first year if you want or is that not allowed?
Do you know if you would be allowed off campus evenings and weekends if I wanted to visit my husband?
Thanks for your help x

I think it will be different according to each situation but I know that you can’t go home until the end of week 7 on basic training I think. It would be best to speak to your local career centre x
I know that if you’re studying you’re allowed to deffo go home on the weekends x
I think it will be different according to each situation but I know that you can’t go home until the end of week 7 on basic training I think. It would be best to speak to your local career centre x
I know that if you’re studying you’re allowed to deffo go home on the weekends x

Thank you.
I know about the basic training and we've spoken about if I get deployed after training etc but it was just the initial 3 years of training at uni I was worried about. Weekends is fine then, especially if I can move into private housing after 1st year. I'll contact them in the morning.
Did your application, assessments etc take a long time?

My step son (17) has just finished his phase 1 at Harrogate army college, it took him near on a year to get started.

Thanks and good luck in September x
Thank you.
I know about the basic training and we've spoken about if I get deployed after training etc but it was just the initial 3 years of training at uni I was worried about. Weekends is fine then, especially if I can move into private housing after 1st year. I'll contact them in the morning.
Did your application, assessments etc take a long time?

My step son (17) has just finished his phase 1 at Harrogate army college, it took him near on a year to get started.

Thanks and good luck in September x

I’m just at the start of my assessments but will let you know!
If you go onto the nursing page for the army it will tell you the fitness requirements and all to do with training. Phase 1 is called your basic training down in Pirbright where you train to be a soldier and then Phase 2 is your university route. So for a student nurse it’s three years at BCU x
If you are thinking of going or want a chat add my Instagram _scarlettltaylorx

@kvrstudent....I have been thinking about either becoming a nurse in the army of a combat medical technician officer aswell because i've been doing cadets for 5 years now. The first phase is a 14 week training in either Winchester or Pirbright. Then you get your medical background at BCU. Though you do have to be really fit for either role. Your fitness levels need to be around...
1. 50kg mid thigh pull
2. Medicine ball 2.7
3. 2km run in 11 minutes 30 seconds
4. Beep test level of 6.6
For me the above is doable but in terms of training i'd say primarily focus on running. If you try... 100% you'll get there xxxx
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Láyla.Xx
@kvrstudent....I have been thinking about either becoming a nurse in the army of a combat medical technician officer aswell because i've been doing cadets for 5 years now. The first phase is a 14 week training in either Winchester or Pirbright. Then you get your medical background at BCU. Though you do have to be really fit for either role. Your fitness levels need to be around...
1. 50kg mid thigh pull
2. Medicine ball 2.7
3. 2km run in 11 minutes 30 seconds
4. Beep test level of 6.6
For me the above is doable but in terms of training i'd say primarily focus on running. If you try... 100% you'll get there xxx

What year are you thinking of applying for? I’m doing nursing in 2022 but start basic training in June 2022 zz
What year are you thinking of applying for? I’m doing nursing in 2022 but start basic training in June 2022 zz

Ha ...thats crazy i'm looking at the exact same thing but for the CMTO i could join this october andfor the nursing i'd be the same as you xx
Ha ...thats crazy i'm looking at the exact same thing but for the CMTO i could join this october andfor the nursing i'd be the same as you xx

Please please join as a nurse!!🤣 xx
@scarletttaylor1... we could like actually meet if we both did 😂😂xx
@scarletttaylor1... we could like actually meet if we both did 😂😂xx

Yes deffo!! I just heard back and I got deferred for medical!! So I’ve got to appeal and see if they can accept me earlier but otherwise I’ve got to wait 2 years!! :frown: xxx
Honestly don't even stress around that time I'd be joining aswell so it's going to be all okay 😘... can I pm you ??
Honestly don't even stress around that time I'd be joining aswell so it's going to be all okay 😘... can I pm you ??

Yes!!!
If you are thinking of going or want a chat add

hi i waa thinking of being a student nurse at bcu and was wondering if i could add ur insta? xx

Quick Reply