2 siblings, parent and I studying uni same year 2021/2022

Watch
Lunar1900
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi, I am wondering how much maintenance loan I will get for accommodation etc. My parents have the household income of 60,000 per year roughly. I have two other siblings and a parent in the house hold that are going to be starting university in the same year as me. 2021/2022.
Does this have any effect to the application, will I get more if my parent and two other siblings are going through student finance England at the same time as me. I'm quite stressed. As I'm worried about the household income and student finance not taking into account that my two siblings will be studying to and so will a parent.
Bedaquiline
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Unfortunately, student finance doesn’t take into account number of siblings and as far as I know, they don’t consider if a parent is studying either; it’s just pure household income.

Obviously this is a terrible system, considering that £60k is a lot of money if you’re an only child, but split between 3 (or even say, a house with 5 kids, some at uni and some not) that’s not much at all. And the threshold is too low, and they assume your parents will actually help you out if they have money, which isn’t always the case. It’s a terrible, unfair system but you are probably looking at minimum student loan as you’re over the top household income threshold (see: https://www.savethestudent.org/stude...nce-loans.html )
Stephb1502
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Student finance England do take additional students attending university into account. Meaning they’ll ‘reduce’ the household income a certain amount for each child. It’s not a huge amount though so won’t made a significant difference in your entitlement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (232)
51.33%
No (220)
48.67%

Watched Threads