username5288572
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Could someone please explain why the answer is not cName:  16138698840752628904896978705734.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  107.4 KB
Last edited by username5288572; 2 months ago
Nairrod
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You cannot deduce the activity of the sources as the number of atoms (or alternatively the mass) in each source is not given. You only have information on the radioisotopes and their half-lives. Remember that radioactivity is the number of decays per second (1 becquerel is 1 decay per second). The more atoms that you have of the unstable substance the more decays per second so the more radioactive the source (material) will be.If you assume, and the question does not state this, that the number of atoms of each radioisotope source starts at the same amount then initially thallium-210 will be most active but over time most of the thallium will decay so then at some later time iridium-192 will be the most active and later still, following a time period over which most of the iridium-192 has decayed, then cobalt-60 will be most active. The question neither states the initial amount of each radioisotope nor the time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (31)
11.36%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (153)
56.04%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (41)
15.02%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (42)
15.38%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
2.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed