How can I get rid of dark skin or hyperpigmentation due to shaving?

Watch
amna7890
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I’ve been shaving quite a few times and realised that my skin gets darker. Are there any products that could help get rid of the dark skin? Any feedback and suggestions would be helpful, thank you!
wizkid44
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Some people say vitamin E is good
JRiver
Badges: 7
Report 5 days ago
Hmm...

Shaving, or any irritation, can make your melanocytes produce more melanin. So the first thing is to be gentle and avoid any irritation.

Then you want to use some actives that can inhibit the production or the transfer of melanin. These actives would include azelaic acid, niacinamide, hydroquinone (prescription only), and vitamin C (there are many types tho). AHAs and retinol also help - they increase cell turnover.

But the most important thing is sunscreen. No point in using any actives to treat hyperpigmentation if you don't use sunscreen.
amna7890
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I’ve been using a cleanser, hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, ascorbic acid and a moisturiser for a month and I haven’t seen any changes to my skin.
JRiver
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by amna7890)
I’ve been using a cleanser, hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, ascorbic acid and a moisturiser for a month and I haven’t seen any changes to my skin.
Sunscreen?

Hyperpigmentation is tricky. Takes a long time to fade, especially if you have skin of color. Ascorbic acid and niacinamide are ok, but it will still take a long time to see noticeable results. At least 3 months I gather cuz a skin cycle is about 6 weeks.

Personally, I think you should just avoid using too many irritating products, use a tinted sunscreen to hide the hyperpigmentation and protect the skin, and use one or two actives that can inhibit melanin production. Then just be patient.

But I would say if the hyperpigmentation is very noticeable and you are very much bothered by it, see a dermatologist. They can give you more potent melanin inhibitors such as Hydroquinone. You can also do some research on Cosmelan or something. Costs a fortune but it is effective. You will look like a burn victim for a week tho. I wouldn't recommend these things but if the hyperpigmentation is very severe, you might want to consider them.

When in doubt, see a doctor.
Last edited by JRiver; 5 days ago
amna7890
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Should I stop using hyaluronic acid? Thank you so much for your help ❤️
DiamondDia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I’d suggest turning to waxing, I know a lot of people when after turning to waxing their skin started to lighten on its own but I’m not sure what products you could use though as it’s kinda sensitive down there so do some deep research.
JRiver
Report 4 days ago
Should I stop using hyaluronic acid? Thank you so much for your help ❤️
Hyaluronic acid is fine. But if you do some research into it, it actually can dry up your skin during winter if you don't use some kind of emollient and occlusive afterwards (HA is a humectant). No need to make it too complicated really. Many moisturisers (like Cerave) contain HA (humectants), emollients and occlusives. Just make sure your skin is hydrated as it helps your skin heal.

Keep it simple (1-2 actives max) and be patient and you should be ok haha. I made the mistake of using too many products and it always made things worse.
Last edited by JRiver; 4 days ago
nibbaslikemcbeth
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I’ve been shaving quite a few times and realised that my skin gets darker. Are there any products that could help get rid of the dark skin? Any feedback and suggestions would be helpful, thank you!
Hey.

i saw this kiehls corrective dark spot worked on my dad. Quite pricy but does the job. Lots of SPF everyday as well!
amna7890
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hi! Just check it out and haha yeah it sure is pricy. Thanks for the suggestion ❤️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (398)
52.16%
No (365)
47.84%

Watched Threads