How to stop battery dying?

Watch
6lack
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My battery died as expected, due to the car not being used and rotting away in the cold. I got it going yesterday and have now parked it off road. I wont realistically be driving until lockdown ends and tbh I was only using it to drive to the gym.. is starting it up every few days and letting it run for abit sufficient to keep the battery going?
MechanicalOnion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ideally a trickle charger would be best. Keep it plugged in when you're not using it and it keeps the battery alive.

I'm not sure if you can disconnect batteries entirely.
theoneyoulove
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Charge battery weekly by driving car for at least 30 minutes
Disconnect the negative battery terminal to preserve your battery
Get a portable jump-starter
6lack
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by MechanicalOnion)
Ideally a trickle charger would be best. Keep it plugged in when you're not using it and it keeps the battery alive.

I'm not sure if you can disconnect batteries entirely.
Can I do this for like 3 months tho?
MechanicalOnion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 6lack)
Can I do this for like 3 months tho?
I'm pretty sure you can. The whole job of a trickle charger is to charge the battery at the same rate the still active computer is using it while the car is turned off. You plug it into the mains and leave it there.
scorpion95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You could get a solar charger to charge the battery rather than a main charger etc which would be good, other wise just go out for a 30 minute drive locally
Talon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
The easiest way would be to just go for a 15-20 minute drive every couple of weeks. It will also keep the brakes and other parts working properly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (527)
51.31%
No (500)
48.69%

Watched Threads