mhm...
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Basically, i got a conditional offer into this 6th form and because i assumed i wasn't gonna get in i didn't really take the time to ask around what people thought of it 😬. So, i'm asking now lol.

Is it a good sixth form?
How is the teaching like?
Are the people friendly there?
Is a state Grammar school significantly different to an Independent Grammar school?
scarycocopopz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by mhm...)
Basically, i got a conditional offer into this 6th form and because i assumed i wasn't gonna get in i didn't really take the time to ask around what people thought of it 😬. So, i'm asking now lol.

Is it a good sixth form?
How is the teaching like?
Are the people friendly there?
Is a state Grammar school significantly different to an Independent Grammar school
what school is it
mhm...
Rep:
?
(Original post by scarycocopopz)
what school is it
Urmston Grammar
scarycocopopz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
go on the website, read google reviews, read student room reviews I'm sure u can find some, maybe on Linkedin find people that go there
Hope this helps
mhm...
Rep:
?
(Original post by scarycocopopz)
go on the website, read google reviews, read student room reviews I'm sure u can find some, maybe on Linkedin find people that go there
Hope this helps
thank youuuu ye u did help
ye I've looked on the website when i applied thats why i made this thread for TSR reviews
username5026224
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Urmston Grammar
i'm in year 11 there currently and it's decent. most teachers are nice. it's a small sixth form about 150 ish a year and classes are small. if you've got any questions lmk x
mhm...
Rep:
?
(Original post by jesssl)
i'm in year 11 there currently and it's decent. most teachers are nice. it's a small sixth form about 150 ish a year and classes are small. if you've got any questions lmk x
oh thank u sm x
I also wanna know if the actual students there are friendly and not stuck up?
because im coming from another Grammar School that's really snobby and wanna know if it's likely gonna be easy to make friends at Urmston
username5026224
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
oh thank u sm x
I also wanna know if the actual students there are friendly and not stuck up?
because im coming from another Grammar School that's really snobby and wanna know if it's likely gonna be easy to make friends at Urmston
oh yeah id say the majority of people there arent snobby, generally people aren't posh as youd find at a normal school. its not as posh as the grammars in altrincham at all. and it should be pretty easy to make friends, people there are friendly and i know someone that came into the school starting in year 12 last year and she settled in dead fast so im sure youll make friends if you go
Last edited by username5026224; 6 months ago
mhm...
Rep:
?
(Original post by jesssl)
oh yeah id say the majority of people there arent snobby, generally people aren't posh as youd find at a normal school. its not as posh as the grammars in altrincham at all. and it should be pretty easy to make friends, people there are friendly and i know someone that came into the school starting in year 12 last year and she settled in dead fast so im sure youll make friends if you go
thanks for the insightt x
i'm so glad to hear that
OKbd
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey,I’ve been at Urmston Grammar since year7 - year 13 and I’ve just had my last day there today actually (🥺).

Honestly the sixth form is pretty good. I’m doing Biology, Maths and French and my classes are pretty small (18max).

There’s a cute community spirit, the people are pretty sound not snobbish at all. It’s a small sixth form so you’ll know most of the people there by your 2nd month. Before Covid, we’ve had regular parties actually organised by our prefects. We’ve had a 90s party, a Christmas party, a Halloween party; it’s all really lively.

Most of the teachers are pretty great. Since you’re older, they give you so much more independence whilst still being available and giving you structure.

Overall, it’s a great school. Good location, McDonald’s, KFC and Nando’s are 10mins away by bus (manageable if you fancy a maccies for lunch). Aldi, Sainsbury’s, Greggs, Quality save, Domino’s and Subway are 7 minutes away by foot. You have 2 chippies nearby (I would recommend the Urmston fish bar, you get a 20% discount if you’re a UGS student)

There’s even a whetherspoons 5 mins away if you want a couple of shots at lunch (I wouldn’t recommend 💀)

The sixth form facilities are alright. We did break one of the sofas a couple weeks ago 😭 they tried to fix it but we broke it again. The common room is definitely worn out, holes in the sofa, carpet pealing off etc.. 😭hopefully they’ll renovate it! It’s more used by year 13s anyways.

You do have access to Newton hall, it has great lighting I think. But the reception there is awful, it’s a good place to revise ngl.

The thing to look forward to is probably the prank day for year 13s on the last day of school! Previously we’ve had year 13s put the sofas out in the astroturf, cover door handles in Vaseline, cling film over the toilets and doorways, stink bombs in the corridors and water fights.

I’ve just waffled a whole lot but if you have anymore questions just ask, I’ll be happy to answer ))
Last edited by OKbd; 4 months ago
mhm...
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by OKbd)
Hey,I’ve been at Urmston Grammar since year7 - year 13 and I’ve just had my last day there today actually (🥺).

Honestly the sixth form is pretty good. I’m doing Biology, Maths and French and my classes are pretty small (18max).

There’s a cute community spirit, the people are pretty sound not snobbish at all. It’s a small sixth form so you’ll know most of the people there by your 2nd month. Before Covid, we’ve had regular parties actually organised by our prefects. We’ve had a 90s party, a Christmas party, a Halloween party; it’s all really lively.

Most of the teachers are pretty great. Since you’re older, they give you so much more independence whilst still being available and giving you structure.

Overall, it’s a great school. Good location, McDonald’s, KFC and Nando’s are 10mins away by bus (manageable if you fancy a maccies for lunch). Aldi, Sainsbury’s, Greggs, Quality save, Domino’s and Subway are 7 minutes away by foot. You have 2 chippies nearby (I would recommend the Urmston fish bar, you get a 20% discount if you’re a UGS student)

There’s even a whetherspoons 5 mins away if you want a couple of shots at lunch (I wouldn’t recommend 💀)

The sixth form facilities are alright. We did break one of the sofas a couple weeks ago 😭 they tried to fix it but we broke it again. The common room is definitely worn out, holes in the sofa, carpet pealing off etc.. 😭hopefully they’ll renovate it! It’s more used by year 13s anyways.

You do have access to Newton hall, it has great lighting I think. But the reception there is awful, it’s a good place to revise ngl.

The thing to look forward to is probably the prank day for year 13s on the last day of school! Previously we’ve had year 13s put the sofas out in the astroturf, cover door handles in Vaseline, cling film over the toilets and doorways, stink bombs in the corridors and water fights.

I’ve just waffled a whole lot but if you have anymore questions just ask, I’ll be happy to answer ))
awww thankss for this!! like fr, that gave me a better insight into what kinda school it is. And tbh it sounds great, like im actually getting excited to go there in september😭😭😭
i like how u told me about all the shops and places to go at lunch but if it isnt too much trouble could u answer this question:

is there lots of pressure put on u to get outstanding grades? (i've been talkin to this girl who goes there and she told me that a 7 in gcse is kinda looked down on so that kinda freaked me out😬😬)

that's it really cos u pretty much answered all my questions about Urmston and aw it's sad you've left but i wish u luck on whatever u decide to do in the future!!!

sorry for my late reply btw 😬😭
OKbd
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
awww thankss for this!! like fr, that gave me a better insight into what kinda school it is. And tbh it sounds great, like im actually getting excited to go there in september😭😭😭
i like how u told me about all the shops and places to go at lunch but if it isnt too much trouble could u answer this question:

is there lots of pressure put on u to get outstanding grades? (i've been talkin to this girl who goes there and she told me that a 7 in gcse is kinda looked down on so that kinda freaked me out😬😬)

that's it really cos u pretty much answered all my questions about Urmston and aw it's sad you've left but i wish u luck on whatever u decide to do in the future!!!

sorry for my late reply btw 😬😭
Hi!

Ngl, i didn’t even expect a reply but I’m glad I could help you out! And honestly, the shops are great, I’m gonna miss getting dominos at lunch or cheesy chips at the Urmston Fish bar and watching the guys play inter form😏. Or even getting ice lollies at Iceland during my frees to eat them out on the field under the sun. Sighhh

But to answer your question

Since it’s a grammar school, you’re gonna get quite a bit of the whole “7 is a low grade”, especially from years 7-11 since you’ve all come from a grammar school, if that makes sense.

HOWEVER, once you get to sixth form, there’s a lot less of that since people come from different schools. it’s really all about surviving and getting the minimum grades you need for your uni course. Everyone comes into A level expecting triple As in at the end of year 13s but few of us actually manage to achieve that.

We all learned relatively early that it really doesn’t matter what grades you got in GCSEs, all that matters is the grades you need to get into the uni course or apprenticeship YOU want.

I know people who were really good at the sciences and completely turned it around and ended up applying for a music course. Or even people who really thought that uni was for them only to end up getting an amazing apprenticeship. It’s less about where the school wants you to go and what they expect you to get and more about what YOU want for yourself!

I really hope this answered your question! Feel free to keep asking more, I really don’t mind 😌😌
mhm...
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by OKbd)
Hi!

Ngl, i didn’t even expect a reply but I’m glad I could help you out! And honestly, the shops are great, I’m gonna miss getting dominos at lunch or cheesy chips at the Urmston Fish bar and watching the guys play inter form😏. Or even getting ice lollies at Iceland during my frees to eat them out on the field under the sun. Sighhh

Since it’s a grammar school, you’re gonna get quite a bit of the whole “7 is a low grade”, especially from years 7-11 since you’ve all come from a grammar school, if that makes sense.

HOWEVER, once you get to sixth form, there’s a lot less of that since people come from different schools. it’s really all about surviving and getting the minimum grades you need for your uni course. Everyone comes into A level expecting triple As in at the end of year 13s but few of us actually manage to achieve that.

We all learned relatively early that it really doesn’t matter what grades you got in GCSEs, all that matters is the grades you need to get into the uni course or apprenticeship YOU want.

I know people who were really good at the sciences and completely turned it around and ended up applying for a music course. Or even people who really thought that uni was for them only to end up getting an amazing apprenticeship. It’s less about where the school wants you to go and what they expect you to get and more about what YOU want for yourself!

I really hope this answered your question! Feel free to keep asking more, I really don’t mind 😌😌
yesss this was so helpful thanks!!! it makes me excited to go to the school now! and u gave some good advice im gonna try take that on board 😌 not got any questions now really but ty
Last edited by mhm...; 4 months ago
loll 11
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
will you be attending Urmston sixth form in september? Im hoping to join year 12 this Sep if i get the grades
loll 11
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by loll 11)
will you be attending Urmston sixth form in september? Im hoping to join year 12 this Sep if i get the grades
(Original post by OKbd)
Hi!

Hellooo , I’m thing about joining urmston and what u said made me really excited 😂😂 I just wanted to ask is it hard for students from other schools to join in year 12? Do the other students support them in your opinion or does it take a while. In your experience, how long did it take for new students to settle in
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.61%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
14.98%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.74%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.98%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (61)
26.87%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed