The Student Room Group

A levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
Why are you sitting privately? Are you a non UK student?

What course and universities are you planning to apply for?

Medicine and no because i didnt get the grades to to chem bio and psychology so im also redoing some gcses to boost the grades
Original post by TheLostStudent06
Medicine and no because i didnt get the grades to to chem bio and psychology so im also redoing some gcses to boost the grades

So you're resitting GCSEs this year (2021) with a plan to sit A levels in 2022? To start a med degree in 2022?
Original post by PQ
So you're resitting GCSEs this year (2021) with a plan to sit A levels in 2022? To start a med degree in 2022?

All next year, i know its a huge amount but im well prepraded
All next year, i know its a huge amount but im well prepraded

You can do this but you need to build a relationship with someone who can provide you with an academic reference before October 2021 (for entry in autumn 2022) - you'll also need to look at entering UCAT/BMAT exams too for medicine.
With so much focused on a single year it would be sensible to plan in a gap year as a backup option.

Have a look in the medicine forum for lots more information about applying to medicine.
Original post by PQ
You can do this but you need to build a relationship with someone who can provide you with an academic reference before October 2021 (for entry in autumn 2022) - you'll also need to look at entering UCAT/BMAT exams too for medicine.
With so much focused on a single year it would be sensible to plan in a gap year as a backup option.

Have a look in the medicine forum for lots more information about applying to medicine.

Thanks for the advice. Lets say next year i apply before i sit my exams and tell them im going to sit as and a2 together. Will they allow this? Or would i need to apply the following year?
Thanks for the advice. Lets say next year i apply before i sit my exams and tell them im going to sit as and a2 together. Will they allow this? Or would i need to apply the following year?

Most applicants apply with their A levels pending.
Outside Wales and NI AS levels aren't common - so again most applicants apply without AS grades.
If i were to sit as/a2 at the same time, when will the earliest be when i get into uni? Assume that i get in on my first try and im 18 at the end of the year. So would i have to sit them when im 19 and apply when 20?

Hi there,

I am a student at Portsmouth University.

You can apply to any university the year you take your exams, even if you get the results after. As long as you recieve your results before the academic term starts. Depending on the university and course would depend what grades or points you would need. Both your as and A2 results would count for points and your A2 results for the grades.

Hope this helps,

Ethan - UOP Rep
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Both your as and A2 results would count for points

Tariff points from AS and A levels can't be added together if they're from the same subject.
Original post by PQ
Most applicants apply with their A levels pending.
Outside Wales and NI AS levels aren't common - so again most applicants apply without AS grades.

So i can just apply and tell them that im going ti be sitting them in a couple if months?

Quick Reply

Latest