The Student Room Group

Recommendations?

Hi all, I currently hold offers for aerospace/aeronautical engineering at the following universities:

i) Glasgow (UoG)
ii) Nottingham
iii) Queen Mary
iv) Swansea
v) Sheffield

But admittedly I can't come to a decisive decision on which to go for. So I wanted to ask people currently studying at/graduated from/researched/looking to apply for those universities about their opinions regarding the aforementioned 5. Please do not compare with other unis outside of the 5. Comparisons between the 5, pros and cons of even 1 or literally any opinions you may have about lifestyle and quality of the course at those universities.

ANY input will be greatly appreciated! Cheers.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all, I currently hold offers for aerospace/aeronautical engineering at the following universities:

i) Glasgow (UoG)
ii) Nottingham
iii) Queen Mary
iv) Swansea
v) Sheffield

But admittedly I can't come to a decisive decision on which to go for. So I wanted to ask people currently studying at/graduated from/researched/looking to apply for those universities about their opinions regarding the aforementioned 5. Please do not compare with other unis outside of the 5. Comparisons between the 5, pros and cons of even 1 or literally any opinions you may have about lifestyle and quality of the course at those universities.

All are great universities. Do some homework on what tie-ups each dept has with industry - this is an indicator of how companies rate the departments. Thus, if uni XXX has links with BAe or Rolls Royce then that's a sure sign that the department must be decent.

Check out the profs - are they advising the government. Again a sign that the government rates the department.

Check out the recent research grants each dept has won - again a measure of how decent the dept is

i) Glasgow (UoG)
ii) Nottingham
iii) Queen Mary
iv) Swansea
v) Sheffield

Hi, recent Engineering graduate from Sheffield! (Although I studied Chemical Engineering, not Aerospace).

All of those unis are great - obvs I'm a bit biased though as a Sheffield grad!

At Sheffield, we have some amazing employer links for Year in Industries or Graduate Jobs; recent Aerospace Eng graduates have gone onto work in companies such as Airbus and Rolls Royce. We also have the brand new Henry Royce Institute on campus, and Sheffield Uni is also a major parter in the AMRC (Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre), where we've partnered with companies such as BAE Systems, Airbus and McLaren. The Engineering Employability team is also something I took advantage of during my studies - they're so so useful and can check over your CV, give you mock interviews, assessment centres etc. and as they're specific for Engineering students, they know exactly the skills that future employers will be looking for.

Some of our Aerospace facilities include five Merlin static flight simulators for aircraft design and 10 X-Plane based flight simulators for flight control and navigation purposes. You can gain flying experience either through our Private Pilot Instruction courses or through our links with the Yorkshire Universities Air Squadron. We also have 20 Wren jet engines to take apart and analyse, as well as a GUNT jet engine test bench and four wind tunnels. You'll get to use these facilities throughout your course - they sound pretty impressive to me as a non-Aerospace student haha.

I also think you'll need to look closely at the specific modules you would study at the different Unis and see which appeal more (you can see Sheffield's Aerospace Eng modules here), as well as think about which place you would rather live in. You can check out Sheffield's virtual campus tour and see if you like the feel of a city campus (I really liked it, as you can nip into town easily after lectures and I enjoyed feeling like I wasn't out 'in the sticks', but everyone's different). You would be taught Engineering in two of our newest/most recently renovated buildings, The Diamond and the Mappin Building, so keep an eye out for them. At Sheffield we also have the Number 1 Students Union in the country, and we're a very student-friendly city that's cheap, has great nightlife, is safe, has such a big range of independent shops, bars, restaurants, museums, cinemas etc. as well as being only 20 ish. minute from the amazing Peak District! Some of these might be more or less important to you, but I think it's important you live in a city you genuinely really like, as you'll be there for 3+ years after all!

You can also speak to current Aerospace Engineering students at Sheffield if you want more info from current students here (just filter them by the subject they're studying).
Hope this helps!

- Ellie :smile:
Sorry im not helping but when did you get your offer at Sheffield Uni? Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by george-kirby
Sorry im not helping but when did you get your offer at Sheffield Uni? Thanks

No problem and sorry for the late reply, I got my offer somewhere last December. I believe that was a month after I submitted my application
No problem and sorry for the late reply, I got my offer somewhere last December. I believe that was a month after I submitted my applicationJust

Just got mine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest