gagan06.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi I'm picking my GCSEs and am in yr 9. 8 are compulsory and 3 are not. I've picked business and geography but I'm struggling between DT or French. I'm not taking neither to a level but I like DT but have better grades in French. I want to be an engineer or something. I want to know which is more useful as a GCSE and not higher?
nikkiblonsky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
choose the one you enjoy the most
kittyfifi123456
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I think you should go for DT?
gagan06.
Rep:
?
(Original post by nikkiblonsky)
choose the one you enjoy the most
I don't enjoy either
apolaroidofus
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
From my friends who did DT it seems like a really time-consuming subject that's difficult to do well in... obviously this is just their experience but it's a really difficult GCSE with lots of demanding coursework and the exam is quite tricky too from what I've heard. In contrast, I've found French to be fairly okay to do well in as long as you keep up with vocab learning as you go along and doesn't really need much work (albeit a bit boring if you don't love languages). I'd always recommend picking whatever you enjoy more but since you seem to have no clear preference I would definitely keep this in mind! Might be worth asking people in the years above you at school to see what they've found the two subjects to be like. Hope this helps
username3906006
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi, I took GCSE French and DT, didn't do either for A Level though. If you don't enjoy DT it might not be a great idea to take it, as it usually has coursework to do on top of exams, which won't be fun if you don't enjoy it. French is also a good skill to have, even at GCSE level. But it's your decision - good luck deciding
DirtyLaundry_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
hi, i did both but for me a language was cumpulsorary. DT is really time consuming but it is worth it, and im doing it for A level as well. (but not doing it for uni).
And if u want to be an engineer its quite good i think cos it shows you are building ur portfolio already. Although it is very time consuming, you get what you put in.
nikkiblonsky
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by gagan06.)
I don't enjoy either
then dont pick them
gagan06.
Rep:
?
(Original post by StillNotGinger03)
Hi, I took GCSE French and DT, didn't do either for A Level though. If you don't enjoy DT it might not be a great idea to take it, as it usually has coursework to do on top of exams, which won't be fun if you don't enjoy it. French is also a good skill to have, even at GCSE level. But it's your decision - good luck deciding
Which was easier/less work
gagan06.
Rep:
?
(Original post by DirtyLaundry_)
hi, i did both but for me a language was cumpulsorary. DT is really time consuming but it is worth it, and im doing it for A level as well. (but not doing it for uni).
And if u want to be an engineer its quite good i think cos it shows you are building ur portfolio already. Although it is very time consuming, you get what you put in.
Which was easier/less work and what did you learn in dt that was useful
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I wish I had done GCSE French. It is by far the easier option. French is worth it generally speaking too. You learn so much however so I do recommend making notes on flashcards and paying careful attention. If you want to gain a much better understanding of French culture etc then really this is the perfect study option and opportunity to do so. Make the most of it.
French is a lovely language to pick up and master. I studied French at primary level but I did not do any useful French lessons at the high school which I attended. Good luck to you in the decision making process. Decide rather carefully after considering both options.
linedpaper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
DT- you said you wanted to be an engineer.
I loved DT GCSE- yes it was more work than French but I would pick it over GCSE French any day of the week, coming from someone who thinks everyone should be semi proficient in a language.
Don’t pick one over the other because it’s ‘easier’ or less work. Pick the one you will enjoy and get something out of.
Doing the NEA is slightly stressful but I found it a lot of fun- designing your own product from start to finish. It’s not hard to get marks in the NEA- I got 100/100 (mine was more like A level work though according to my teacher). The exam paper really isn’t that hard.
GCSE french has 4 exams, speaking, listening, reading, writing. DT has coursework and 1 exam. It doesn’t all come down to your exams in the coursework and you have plenty of time to do it.
Last edited by linedpaper; 6 days ago
huda.farooqui
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi I'm picking my GCSEs and am in yr 9. 8 are compulsory and 3 are not. I've picked business and geography but I'm struggling between DT or French. I'm not taking neither to a level but I like DT but have better grades in French. I want to be an engineer or something. I want to know which is more useful as a GCSE and not higher?
I loved D&T and still do it for A level, if I’m being honest, your gcses really don’t matter. Therefore I would say pick what you enjoy the most
username3906006
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Which was easier/less work
Well, you need to put work into both of them! Like I said, DT has coursework, but only one exam, whereas you've got reading, writing, listening and speaking exams for French. I got the same grade in both. I'd just choose the one you prefer - you must have some sort of preference!
huda.farooqui
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by StillNotGinger03)
Well, you need to put work into both of them! Like I said, DT has coursework, but only one exam, whereas you've got reading, writing, listening and speaking exams for French. I got the same grade in both. I'd just choose the one you prefer - you must have some sort of preference!
None of them are necessarily “easier”, but French does require more skill I would say
slightlyinsane
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
French is an ebacc subject, so if you take english, maths, sciences, a humanity and french then you will gain an ebacc! ebacc is made to widen your carrerr options, so it is probably the best choice to take those subjects until a level where you can specalise further
cleveranimal56
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
French. Take French. I took DT and the coursework is literally killing me. Falling behind once is enough, the rest of the course you will be dragged along in the dust. And as if you're not good at buildings tasks, you'll struggle with the practical part. Unless you suck at languages or have another hard language subject, drop DT. Idk might just be my loathing for the subject, but I wish I never took it
User198786
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
French. I thought I loved DT until I took it for GCSE. There's so much theory content for a 2 hour exam which is only worth 50% of your grade and most of this I have had to self teach as most time in school is spent on the coursework. The coursework is soo long and if you want to get a high grade, the amount of detail you need to put in is not worth it. That being said, I didn't do a language but DT is definetly my worst subject
huda.farooqui
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by cleveranimal56)
French. Take French. I took DT and the coursework is literally killing me. Falling behind once is enough, the rest of the course you will be dragged along in the dust. And as if you're not good at buildings tasks, you'll struggle with the practical part. Unless you suck at languages or have another hard language subject, drop DT. Idk might just be my loathing for the subject, but I wish I never took it
Ah I did DT for gcse and a level, I would’ve failed French 😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (482)
51.72%
No (450)
48.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed