keian
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I'm probably gonna get a 4 in maths, but I've been told that I won't do good in A level maths by my teachers so what other courses can I take to get a higher level in maths?
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by keian)
So I'm probably gonna get a 4 in maths, but I've been told that I won't do good in A level maths by my teachers so what other courses can I take to get a higher level in maths?
Realistically, if you achieve a grade 4 then A-Level Mathematics will not be the best option.
Most courses that have a bit of Mathematics involved require at least a grade 5 at GCSE but I think a grade 6 is ideal.
What do you want to do after GCSE’s?
huda.farooqui
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by keian)
If you dont want to study a level maths, you could study Core Maths at a level, some sixth forms provide that course! Its typically a one year qualification and I did it in year 12, its really helpful if you hate maths, but still want something practical
keian
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Realistically, if you achieve a grade 4 then A-Level Mathematics will not be the best option.
Most courses that have a bit of Mathematics involved require at least a grade 5 at GCSE but I think a grade 6 is ideal.
What do you want to do after GCSE’s?
I'm looking go train towards being a quantity surveyor and doing a surveying course, but honestly not sure if im cut out for that line of work with my bad maths skills
keian
Rep:
?
(Original post by huda.farooqui)
If you dont want to study a level maths, you could study Core Maths at a level, some sixth forms provide that course! Its typically a one year qualification and I did it in year 12, its really helpful if you hate maths, but still want something practical
Okay great thank you
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by keian)
I'm looking go train towards being a quantity surveyor and doing a surveying course, but honestly not sure if im cut out for that line of work with my bad maths skills
Sorry for the late reply! I'm not sure what qualifications you need for that career, but I don't think it is that Mathematics heavy as it sounds.
keian
Rep:
?
On the gov website it says for an apprenticeship you need:5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship
4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) and A levels, or equivalent, for a degree
apprenticeship

And through University I'd need:2 to 3 A levels, or equivalent, for a degree

a degree in any subject for a postgraduate course
keian
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Sorry for the late reply! I'm not sure what qualifications you need for that career, but I don't think it is that Mathematics heavy as it sounds.
And yea I'm not sure that's it is very math heavy but I don't feel like I will get hired if I have a 4
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by keian)
And yea I'm not sure that's it is very math heavy but I don't feel like I will get hired if I have a 4
Perhaps, try and get that Maths grade up to a 5.

Have you tried looking at MathsGenie? They have questions targeted for certain grades:
https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (633)
48.69%
No (667)
51.31%

Watched Threads