England or Scotland - University Advice

Watch
Fayy_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I moved from England to Scotland 2 years ago to have the opportunity to receive cheaper higher education in Scotland.

I’m 17 and currently looking at universities, but some of my favourites are in England, and only two universities in Scotland offer the course I want to do. I am aware that costs of English courses are much higher than Scottish courses. Would it be a bad idea to study in England with this opportunity? Would the debt be a big issue?
thaneofross
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Sorry if I’m being very ignorant here but i was under the impression you needed to have lived in Scotland for 7 years to access the lower tuition fees?
mike23mike
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Fayy_)
I moved from England to Scotland 2 years ago to have the opportunity to receive cheaper higher education in Scotland.

I’m 17 and currently looking at universities, but some of my favourites are in England, and only two universities in Scotland offer the course I want to do. I am aware that costs of English courses are much higher than Scottish courses. Would it be a bad idea to study in England with this opportunity? Would the debt be a big issue?
Scotland has some of the top universities in the UK so you should study in Scotland. Including art schools and conservatoires there are 21 universities in Scotland out of a total of 121 universities in the UK - that's 17% of the total number of universities in the UK. Yet a quick look at the Guardian good uni guide shows six Scottish universities in the top 20 - Thus, 30% of the top unis in the UK are in Scotland. A disproportionally high number of top universities are Scottish. You would be a fool to come to England and take on a 30k dept.

St Andrews - 2nd
Glasgow - 12th
Edinburgh - 13th
Strathclyde - 15th
Dundee - 19th
Aberdeen 20th
Fayy_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 hours ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
Scotland has some of the top universities in the UK so you should study in Scotland. Including art schools and conservatoires there are 21 universities in Scotland out of a total of 121 universities in the UK - that's 17% of the total number of universities in the UK. Yet a quick look at the Guardian good uni guide shows six Scottish universities in the top 20 - Thus, 30% of the top unis in the UK are in Scotland. A disproportionally high number of top universities are Scottish. You would be a fool to come to England and take on a 30k dept.

St Andrews - 2nd
Glasgow - 12th
Edinburgh - 13th
Strathclyde - 15th
Dundee - 19th
Aberdeen 20th
I've taken a look at these universities, and I agree that it could be a waste of money to go to England, however, my biggest issue (I was quite quick writing this question) is that only 2 universities in Scotland offer the course I want to do, however many in England do. It's very conflicting looking at it this way
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (394)
32.3%
No (826)
67.7%

Watched Threads