Flashcards gcse/igcse

Watch
Bobblybubbly
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hii, so I am trying to revise actively for my igcse science and geography exams and I am trying to use flashcards to remember the info. However, I’d like to know opinions, do you think there is a difference in effectiveness between using premade ones and making your own?

I find making my own takes up more time and I’ve seen that the premade ones have matching info for my course, but I’d like to know if one of them has more advantage in learning over the other?

Kushi_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I personally prefer premade ones but that's because I'm lazy.

Hand made flashcards are often more memorable as they personalised to you, and since you make it yourself its just prone to sticking in your head better. (I did this for my GCSE business as i couldn't find any for my course, and ended up scoring a 97%)

The obvious advantage of using premade flashcards is that they save time, and since GCSE science has so much resources out there, its very convienient. (I used the flashcards from physics and maths tutor, but CGP has pretty good ones too!)
However, you may find that sometimes they don't match your course (eg for geography you may be using different case studies)

Since your trying to actively revise, I also recommend using a variety of techniques like blurting. This is where you write as much as you can from your head on a blank piece of paper, and then go over it with a red pen to fill things you missed.

I also used group study for geography, where me and my friend would read 5 pages from the textbook and then close it. we would say one statement each until one of us ran out, and then move onto the next 5 pages until the topic is complete.
This can take hours, so you need to be responsible and ACTUALLY study and not get distracted. Luckily for me, both of us are very strict, although we would go off topic sometimes. This is personally my favourite method as not only is it active, but it makes revision so much more fun than flashcards, and I ended up remembering a good 70% of the content.

Although, remember, you need a good mix of strategies, so after your finished. Try exam questions on physics and maths tutor.
Bobblybubbly
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Kushi_)
I personally prefer premade ones but that's because I'm lazy.

Hand made flashcards are often more memorable as they personalised to you, and since you make it yourself its just prone to sticking in your head better. (I did this for my GCSE business as i couldn't find any for my course, and ended up scoring a 97%)

The obvious advantage of using premade flashcards is that they save time, and since GCSE science has so much resources out there, its very convienient. (I used the flashcards from physics and maths tutor, but CGP has pretty good ones too!)
However, you may find that sometimes they don't match your course (eg for geography you may be using different case studies)

Since your trying to actively revise, I also recommend using a variety of techniques like blurting. This is where you write as much as you can from your head on a blank piece of paper, and then go over it with a red pen to fill things you missed.

I also used group study for geography, where me and my friend would read 5 pages from the textbook and then close it. we would say one statement each until one of us ran out, and then move onto the next 5 pages until the topic is complete.
This can take hours, so you need to be responsible and ACTUALLY study and not get distracted. Luckily for me, both of us are very strict, although we would go off topic sometimes. This is personally my favourite method as not only is it active, but it makes revision so much more fun than flashcards, and I ended up remembering a good 70% of the content.

Although, remember, you need a good mix of strategies, so after your finished. Try exam questions on physics and maths tutor.
Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (273)
51.9%
No (253)
48.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise