Anonymous48
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi, I am picking my GCSE's and need some help. My main question is 'Is it better to study French or History?' Which is more academic? Which subject is best for medicine? Thanks
PhoenixRose338
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I chose both, and my history course had a whole section called 'Medicine through time' and it was really interesting. French was okay, but you have to remember all the vocab and endings etc. Maybe ask your teacher about what topics you'll be covering in history and see if you are interested in any of them? Also history is good if you are good at/like writing essays.
Anonymous48
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixRose338)
I chose both, and my history course had a whole section called 'Medicine through time' and it was really interesting. French was okay, but you have to remember all the vocab and endings etc. Maybe ask your teacher about what topics you'll be covering in history and see if you are interested in any of them? Also history is good if you are good at/like writing essays.
Oh ok. I dont really like writing essays but i would like to ask whether french gcse is easy?
yay_lilia
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous48)
Hi, I am picking my GCSE's and need some help. My main question is 'Is it better to study French or History?' Which is more academic? Which subject is best for medicine? Thanks
Hi, history is definitely better for medicine because you learn about the development of medicine from medieval - present times and the technology used to aid these developments.
My school does the Edexcel exam for history so this might be different from your school.
I hope this helps
PhoenixRose338
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Oh ok. I dont really like writing essays but i would like to ask whether french gcse is easy?
Well, that depends on what your skillset is. If you are good at memorising phrases and comprehending texts then yes it's fairly easy. The only bit that some people find difficult is the writing, but it isn't too hard if you revise well.
History is also not extremely difficult, although it may seem daunting to write so much at first. As long as you know key dates/events and the structures for each question type, you'll be fine.
Anonymous48
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixRose338)
Well, that depends on what your skillset is. If you are good at memorising phrases and comprehending texts then yes it's fairly easy. The only bit that some people find difficult is the writing, but it isn't too hard if you revise well.
History is also not extremely difficult, although it may seem daunting to write so much at first. As long as you know key dates/events and the structures for each question type, you'll be fine.
Oh ok thanks. What grade did you get in history and french gcse?
Anonymous48
Rep:
?
(Original post by yay_lilia)
Hi, history is definitely better for medicine because you learn about the development of medicine from medieval - present times and the technology used to aid these developments.
My school does the Edexcel exam for history so this might be different from your school.
I hope this helps
My school also does Edexcel. Do you think it is easy? Have you done french? What grade do u get? Thanks
yay_lilia
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
My school also does Edexcel. Do you think it is easy? Have you done french? What grade do u get? Thanks
I think history is easy as long as you can remember what events match which dates and some of the names are a bit strange so the spelling can be hard but you see them so many times you just learn it naturally.
I didn't do french but lots of my friends did and they said some parts were really hard and some were really easy. They said that it was definitely worth it though.
I find it hard to learn the verb endings because there the different tenses and there regular and irregular. I do Spanish, but this is the same for all languages.
It is good to have a language because most universities ask you to have one depending on what course you choose and the level of it.
Maisielytical
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hiya I did both for GCSE and did well in both as they can both be fairly easy if you can memorise structure and differentiation. I definitely enjoyed History more because it made a lot more sense to me and I did much better in the end in that anyway. For medicine, I would definitely say history, plus, in the medicine throughout time course (if you do it), some of this crosses over with the biology course content which is really handy.
With french, you write your speaking questions for the speaking exam before you even get to the exam and then your teacher marks them and you revise them. I found this very useful for the writing as the questions for the writing were basically just the speaking questions, in a different tense. Don't worry about your pronunciation either. They don't actually care as long as they can make out what you are saying.
In my experience, I am very glad that I took both and when you are applying to uni (even though they barely look at your GCSE grades) they love seeing that you have taken a foreign language, improving your ability to communicate.
studygirl388
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi. I got a grade 9 at French GCSE and I'd say that it's a good subject to have when applying to colleges/universities as it shows your versatility and clarity in communication. It takes a lot of dedication to learn another language and if you do so successfully, it can open doors to lots of different career prospects.

In terms of how "easy" it is, I'd say it's not that difficult to get a good grade - if you are consistent with your revision and learn to understand what the examiners are looking for. It's pretty black and white though. If you genuinely enjoy the subject, that makes the learning even easier. The main thing is to be constantly reviewing your vocabulary lists and grammar.

Oh and as far as I'm aware, you do get marked on your 'pronunciation and intonation' so pronunciation does matter to some extent. If you take the time to improve it, you'll reach the higher marks.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hello

French is pretty easy. Use the flashcards to test yourself on the words each day. Duo lingo is recommended for more guided listening and speaking skill practice. You can even use the workbooks you choose to purchase on Amazon and so on to build up your reading and writing skills slowly and independently. I also suggest the use of a tape recorder to facilitate interesting conversation, discussion and debate. If you do decide to pick French as a option then ensure that you know what to expect fully. The entire GCSE course in itself is easy.

History is very good too. You can use flashcards to quiz yourself on dates and important vocabulary as well. I would also recommend making notes in case for future reference etc in addition.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (482)
51.72%
No (450)
48.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed